SiouxSports.com Forum

Kelley has done it again

gfhockey

Had REA just stopped putting her on the big screen, it's likely few would have noticed. It became a big deal when UND and REA released their decision to the media. It became a big deal for me when this fan became an example of 'how we don't want to viewed' by the UND administration.

It doesn't affect my life just like a lot of things that I oppose don't affect my life. That doesn't mean I'm going to stand by quietly and turn my back with a 'Hey, not my problem, bro' attitude. Not my style. ;)

I dont think anyone "announced it," this all happened behind closed doors and then someone called the Herald, then the Herald sought reactions from Peter Johnson and Beer Grandma.

Kelly's concern with Alcohol is not isolated. NDSU's alcohol task force (I believe Gene Taylor is in charge) has their fingers in everything down there, including private business that is off campus. Its not going away.

This is a HUGE deal to all Universities and their respective leadership across the country.

I dont think anyone "announced it," this all happened behind closed doors and then someone called the Herald.

Isn't "calling the herald" "announcing it?"

There is no doubt a fraction of the population wants the sins of life outlawed (the ones left): alcohol and tobacco (there has even been a push on caffeine). Kelley just might be one of them.

*Its UND policy no smoking outside on campus.

And now Kelley just told REA not to show old people drinking beer on the video board! Insanity.

• Upvote 2

I dont think anyone "announced it," this all happened behind closed doors and then someone called the Herald, then the Herald sought reactions from Peter Johnson and Beer Grandma.

Kelly's concern with Alcohol is not isolated. NDSU's alcohol task force (I believe Gene Taylor is in charge) has their fingers in everything down there, including private business that is off campus. Its not going away.

This is a HUGE deal to all Universities and their respective leadership across the country.

This is where common sense needs to be applied. Mrs. Delano, IMO, is not advocating alcohol abuse. She is a long time UND supporter and fan. For her video to be yanked because there is alcohol abuse on campus (and everywhere else) is ludicrous. A more effective action would be to stop selling huge cups of beer or limiting the number of alcoholic beverages per person. But, no, that would have an adverse affect on shared revenue. Instead, we now have a 60+ year UND supporter as the face of 'how we don't want our fans to be portrayed'.

This is exactly what happened. Much ado about nothing.

That's what I'm thinking about everybody who's posted in here so far complaining about this. So Kelley decided to not glorify beer drinking, what's the big deal? Does this really affect your life?

You presume that it all "glorifies" beer drinking. It doesn't. That's entirely presumptuous of Kelley and it's indicative of a proclivity to create a tempest in a teapot. So, an 85 year-old still likes to attend hockey games and - gasp - have a beer. If anything, she's being recognized for her commitment to the program and she's being commended for her ability/willingness to attend games at her age. Are people going to see her and justify getting drunk because she's having a beer? Don't think so. I don't see how that promotes or glorifies beer drinking at all. Just shows Kelley to be an overly fastidious and pedantic fussbudget with too much time on his hands.

You presume that it all "glorifies" beer drinking. It doesn't. That's entirely presumptuous of Kelley and it's indicative of a proclivity to create a tempest in a teapot. So, an 85 year-old still likes to attend hockey games and - gasp - have a beer. If anything, she's being recognized for her commitment to the program and she's being commended for her ability/willingness to attend games at her age. Are people going to see her and justify getting drunk because she's having a beer? Don't think so. I don't see how that promotes or glorifies beer drinking at all. Just shows Kelley to be an overly fastidious and pedantic fussbudget with too much time on his hands.

Well said. "overly fastidious and pedantic fussbudget," I like that. Kind of sums up the inflation of this totally overblown topic.

I always wondered about his soprano voice & not fighting for the name, now it obvious he doesn't have a pair :p

From the Herald circa January, 2008:

"Kelley has a distinctive voice, quiet and husky, which his wife, Marcia, said creates a beautiful tenor.

"I sound like my father down to the line," Kelley said. "I can let Marcia (a speech pathology lecturer at Wyoming) explain it anatomically... I have very tight, narrow vocal cords. My larynx is my larynx. That's what I've got and that's what I sound like."

Buzzkill. I know; I'm sorry. ;)

Yes. Kendall Baker looks pretty decent in light of Robert Kelley and Kendall Baker was about 100 floors below Tom Clifford.

Tom Clifford was a rock star when I was at UND. The students loved him and what he stood for in leading UND at the time. You probably couldn't find 50% of the students at UND that would even give Kelly a "favorable" rating so far in his time there.

Tom Clifford was a rock star when I was at UND. The students loved him and what he stood for in leading UND at the time. You probably couldn't find 50% of the students at UND that would even give Kelly a "favorable" rating so far in his time there.

Yes. He was at times. But not all the time. In the late 1960s through the fall of the Nixon Administration, Tom was viewed as very much the establishment, and was often at odds with students over the counter culture causes of the times. I think he handeled those situations quite well, in hindsight, and "we" often wax eloquently and fondly about him, even to this day because of it. But, I think, "we" tend to be the type of folks who agree with the political slant that Tom espoused. That was not the ideological temperment of the students body once upon a time ago.

Sadly, if he were president today, I think even our old friend Tom would have succummed to some of the PC pressures and voracious political agendas that dominate our society. You could get a way with a lot more in Tom's day, before the 24-hour news cycle, the Internet, message boards, Facebook, Twitter, partisan blogs, local and regional issues talk radio and Government Sunshine and Freedom of Information laws. It was a beautiful time to be an executive of any big organization back then, but, again, those days are long gone.

• Upvote 3

Yes. He was at times. But not all the time. In the late 1960s through the fall of the Nixon Administration, Tom was viewed as very much the establishment, and was often at odds with students over the counter culture causes of the times. I think he handeled those situations quite well, in hindsight, and "we" often wax eloquently and fondly about him, even to this day because of it. But, I think, "we" tend to be the type of folks who agree with the political slant that Tom espoused. That was not the ideological temperment of the students body once upon a time ago.

Sadly, if he were president today, I think even our old friend Tom would have succummed to some of the PC pressures and voracious political agendas that dominate our society. You could get a way with a lot more in Tom's day, before the 24-hour news cycle, the Internet, message boards, Facebook, Twitter, partisan blogs, local and regional issues talk radio and Government Sunshine and Freedom of Information laws. It was a beautiful time to be an executive of any big organization back then, but, again, those days are long gone.

Well stated.

Hard to say but good point.

• Upvote 1

You presume that it all glorifies beer drinking. It doesn't. That's entirely presumptuous of Kelley and it's indicative of a proclivity to create a tempest in a teapot. So, an 85 year-old still likes to attend hockey games and - gasp - have a beer/ If anything, she's being recognized for her commitment to the program and she's being commended for her ability/willingness to attend games at her age. Are people going to see her and justify getting drunk because she's having a beer? Don't think so. I don't see how that promotes or glorifies beer drinking at all. Just shows Kelley to be an overly fastidious and pedantic fussbudget with too much time on his hands.

So in Kelley's mind, an 85 year old woman drinking beer encourages binge drinking as much as an 85 year old women wearing a Fighting Sioux logo causes poverty on Indian reservations.

That's the type of logic that Kelley seemingly believes in, and acts on. It wasn't the political right that brought about prohibition, but the political left.

A huge opportunity is being missed here: why not sponsor a short ad with Mrs Delano speaking for responsible drinking and against binge drinking? She is someone the students actually respect and admire and respond to, not Kelley.

Strange that a man as "open minded" as Kelley is so quick to label and stereotype. Based on his Berkeley pedigree, guess if she was drinking wine, eating cheese, and wearing an interlocking ND lapel, her sophistication would get a pass. But since she's a beer drinker and wears a Sioux logo, she's encouraging others to be a low class lush, too. :silly:

• Upvote 1

In the article it states that "Beer Grandma" thinks it is a big thrill to be apart of this tradition at the Ralph, she says people her age rarely get an opportunity to be known in the community, which I think is very true. Let the lady have some excitement, it is not hurting anyone, no one else thinks its an issue but you Pres. Kelley.

Every time I saw her I didn't think "Oh, my, gosh....she's drinking beer. Where can I get one? (or 6, 7) " I thought, "Wow! I hope I can go out and enjoy a Sioux game when I'm that age!" Neat story......till now.

Every time I see the woman I get a laugh because she seems like such a nice lady, but I also think how lucky someone is to still have their grand parent. I think this reaction by the president is a bit over the top and a head scratcher.

This didn't take long...

Beer Grandma: Now you see her, now you... might?

UND officials never issued a firm “directive” or requirement for the Ralph Engelstad Arena to stop spotlighting Beer Grandma, who has become a fan favorite at Fighting Sioux hockey games, a university spokesman said today.

But REA general manager Jody Hodgson said UND president Robert Kelley did bring up the issue about a year and a half ago.

Hodgson said Kelley brought up Beer Grandma and asked that the arena “consider the request” not to show her during games.

“It wasn’t a huge deal to him, but he said he would prefer if we didn’t show her with a beer in her hand or we didn’t highlight her, so to speak, on the video board,” he said.

Johnson said he expects Kelley and Hodgson will talk about the issue again.

“If Jody wants to have that conversation, I’m sure the president would like to revisit the conversation,” he said. “But it’s not in the top 10 issues that are affecting the future of the University of North Dakota. I’d say it’s a very minor kind of thing.”

I find it rather amusing that all of you got your panties in a wad over not seeing "Beer Grandma" anymore....if you are going to the hockey game to see "Beer Grandma", then stay home and watch the damn thing on youtube while the rest of us watch hockey! What's next, when do you all start whining about the loss of the trunk monkey! For crying out loud....

I find it rather amusing that all of you got your panties in a wad over not seeing "Beer Grandma" anymore....if you are going to the hockey game to see "Beer Grandma", then stay home and watch the damn thing on youtube while the rest of us watch hockey! What's next, when do you all start whining about the loss of the trunk monkey! For crying out loud....

I see someone is missing the big picture...

• Upvote 1