SiouxSports.com Forum

Kelley has done it again

gfhockey

That's a good point and I can appreciate your views. I had the same question about the ads featuring beer grandma, and here's the response I got. Those ads were used less and less to the point that they were pulled as UND steered toward a new marketing campaign, called "UND and Me." You might have seen some of them lately, with Dave St. Peter of the Twins and Karla Christofferson, co-owner of the LA Sparks.

However, the fact that they were used at all, I think, is one of those situations where UND marketing rode the waves of a popular, albeit, recent tradition, and Kelley initially thought it was ok because of its focus on online education instead of alcohol. But, again, my hunch is that Kelley started second guessing the ads and their loose association with alcohol and they were eventually phased out. That coincided with the move to a new marketing campaign.

My read of the tea leaves is that It looks like a clear case of a leader, through his administration, second guessing a decision and making moves to go another direction.

I would buy what you are selling, if these ads just ran a handful of times. That ad ran many times, not only at the games, but on tv, during Studio One Broadcasts.

Nevermind, I found the statement that Florida State's president issued after the NCAA's policy came out.

http://www.fsu.edu/n...05/tk.response/

Just a few snippets from the statement-

"Florida State University is stunned at the complete lack of appreciation for cultural diversity shown by the National Collegiate Athletic Association's executive committee, which announced today a policy banning schools using Native American names and symbols from hosting NCAA championship events. That the NCAA would now label our close bond with the Seminole Tribe of Florida as culturally "hostile and abusive" is both outrageous and insulting."

"The rules as we understand them would have us cover the Seminole name and symbol as if we were embarrassed, and any committee that would think that is a proper and respectful treatment of Native Americans should be ashamed."

Anyone ever hear Kelly have his school's back like that..........

Your comment would have more resonance if Kelley were president of UND at the time the NC$$'s H&A list came out. Moreover, Florida's Members of Congress got into the act very early and FSU ended up keeping its name and logo. North Dakota's politicians sat on their collective a$$es and did nothing. Even Clueless Al Carlson was MIA when the fight started.

Nevermind, I found the statement that Florida State's president issued after the NCAA's policy came out.

http://www.fsu.edu/n...05/tk.response/

Just a few snippets from the statement-

"Florida State University is stunned at the complete lack of appreciation for cultural diversity shown by the National Collegiate Athletic Association's executive committee, which announced today a policy banning schools using Native American names and symbols from hosting NCAA championship events. That the NCAA would now label our close bond with the Seminole Tribe of Florida as culturally "hostile and abusive" is both outrageous and insulting."

"The rules as we understand them would have us cover the Seminole name and symbol as if we were embarrassed, and any committee that would think that is a proper and respectful treatment of Native Americans should be ashamed."

Anyone ever hear Kelly have his school's back like that..........

Charles Kupchella wrote a pretty good letter to the NCAA; it was a very good letter, in fact. It's just that UND is not FSU so the NCAA basically said "who gives a s#$!".

Did you read my post? Or did you choose to not acknowledge the fact that I said that if he felt there was no other way to go about things other than losing the name then so be it. But you still don't throw your own university under the bus. Has anyone ever heard Kelly take umbrage with UND being called hostile and abusive? Has anyone ever heard Kelly say he supports the name? Has Kelly ever stuck up for the university during this whole fiasco? The answer is no. Being a leader means you sometimes have to do things that the majority doesn't like, you are correct, but there are other ways to go about it then to sell out on the people you represent. I have less of a problem with losing the name than I do with how Kelly handled the entire situation. He has let people rip on the school while he sits back in his luxury home on campus, both of which were paid for by the people that he routinely hangs out to dry.

I have said it before, Kelly preaches about turning this school into a premier university but he fails to act as presidents do at premier universities. Go take a look around the net for what the president of Florida State said when dealing with their name issue and compare it with what Kelly has said and I think you will see some major discrepancies. Just my opinion, but Kelly needs to get good or get gone.

Yes; I agree; I wish he would be more passionate and transparent in his defense of the nickname, but I think that he thinks that that kind of stance by a chief executive might jeopardize UND's prospects for conference affiliation with the BSC, or he just thinks that no matter what, it is important to this University to get this controversy behind us and move on. That's a lot of speculation on my part but it's all I got to go with, and I prefer to give folks the benefit of the doubt until, as Frank Blackcloud likes to say, "I walk a mile in their moccasins."

There are some things that Kelly has done that I like. Such as emphasizing more dollars on research and trying to further improve the academics of the college. That being said there are issues that he simply has not acted like a leader. I know this thread is about Mrs. Delano but look no further than the name issue. He threw the school under the bus. He could have simply said something like I support our name and don't believe that the school is in any way hostile or abusive but in light of the sanctions being imposed by the NCAA I feel we have no choice but to retire the name. But instead basically told everyone that he doesn't support the alumni and states point of view when those are the people that he was, in fact, appointed to represent. That is not leadership, that is being a coward.

As a current student at the college I can tell you that myself and many other fellow students have been disappointed with how Kelly has handled some issues on campus because he doesn't listen to anybody except himself. Kelly thinks that Kelly knows best, just ask him. In my opinion Kelly has to realize that he has ostracized the majority of the alumni and current students on campus in an attempt to console peoples points of view that he wasn't hired to represent. He has come to hold a job in an area that he had no ties to and has imposed an outsiders view of how a campus should be run that doesn't match up with the people's point of view that he works for. If he keeps on the track that he is currently going, he is going to find himself out of a job sooner rather than later.

The one thing I really take umbridge with in your statement is "he has come to hold a job in an area that he has no ties to" "outsider" Honestly, I'm so tired of people who have this close minded view in this area. All the time people say how nice North Dakotans are..but I warn people we're nice to you unless your not from ND...then watch out- you're most definitely not welcome. Isn't that what a University is partially there for, to bring people from all over students and leaders to allow for a melting pot of ideas. So with all these hockey players on our roster from all over- should my opinion be- "their not from here- they don't know what they are doing"? No I'm glad they are here as students and as athletes they help make UND what it is. I grow so tired of the..."there not from here so they should hit the road lines" If that's the case this place is going to get pretty sterile.

• Upvote 1

Call me crazy, but Kelley just did the opposite he was trying to do.

He is telling the world we have such a alcohol problem we need to not show people drinking beer on the big screen. The average fan did/doesn't know UND had an "alcohol problem" unless they searched for it/read some study done, but now Kelley is pointing it out/reminding everyone.

Then some student fills out those US new and world report survey, and the light bulb goes off in their head..."oh yeah that right we do have a alcohol problem. I remember reading about that in the Herald...check!"

If you want to increase the number of students applying to your school being known as a party school would probably help.

In 2009, UND ranked No. 18 among party schools.

You want the updated list?

2012: No UND unfortunately. It sounds like good company.

1. Ohio University, Athens, Ohio

2. University of Georgia, Athens, Ga.

3. University of Mississippi, Oxford, Miss.

4. University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa

5. University of California Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, Calif.

6. West Virginia University, Morgantown, W. Va.

7. Penn State University, University Park, Pa.

8. Florida State University, Tallahassee, Fla.

9. University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla.

10. University of Texas, Austin, Texas

11. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

12. Syracuse University, Syracuse, N.Y.

13. Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, La.

14. University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, Wis.

15. DePauw University, Greencastle, Ind.

16. Indiana University, Bloomington, Ind.

17. Arizona State University, Tempe, Ariz.

18. University of Maryland, College Park, Md.

19. University of Vermont, Burlington, Vt.

20. University of South Carolina, Columbia, S.C.