SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

NCC 2.0

{yawn}

Wow this is certainly getting interesting. As a Bison Fan I dont know what to think. My gut says UMKC knows something. It defies all logic. The wac is basically a glorified great west without the good programs. And the Denver move is even more peculiar.

Missouri Valley? Yeah obviously even without a few teams that would be an insane upgrade.

So many options. This could open up USD to go to the Big Sky. You could see all the Dakota schools go to the Big Sky and form a mega conference. You could see all 3 teams go to the Missouri Valley or maybe 2? Heck how about UND to join us in all sports, including football?

Now if you guys would have moved up to the FCS at the same time, we may not even be having this discussion and we would have the 5 core NCC teams that stood for decades in the same conference! :rofl:

Gabe,

We couldn't afford a move to DI at the time NDSU moved up. That is why Kuppy et. al. held their ground. I don't think we were quite ready to do it when we did but our back was finally against the proverbial wall with the complete and utter collapse of the NCC.

Gabe,

We couldn't afford a move to DI at the time NDSU moved up. That is why Kuppy et. al. held their ground. I don't think we were quite ready to do it when we did but our back was finally against the proverbial wall with the complete and utter collapse of the NCC.

Wasn't it part of the su plan to move up without UND?

Wow this is certainly getting interesting. As a Bison Fan I dont know what to think. My gut says UMKC knows something. It defies all logic. The wac is basically a glorified great west without the good programs. And the Denver move is even more peculiar.

Missouri Valley? Yeah obviously even without a few teams that would be an insane upgrade.

So many options. This could open up USD to go to the Big Sky. You could see all the Dakota schools go to the Big Sky and form a mega conference. You could see all 3 teams go to the Missouri Valley or maybe 2? Heck how about UND to join us in all sports, including football?

Now if you guys would have moved up to the FCS at the same time, we may not even be having this discussion and we would have the 5 core NCC teams that stood for decades in the same conference! :rofl:

Interesting is an understatement.

Obviously, I'm thinking there is going to be alot of movement forthcoming. I think the Catholic 7 is going to take multiple A10 teams and likely Creighton. IF the MVC only loses Creighton, they could look at Oral Roberts, UIC, maybe even Valparaiso and come out relatively unscathed. But then the A-10 is going to look at more Horizon teams.

It could be possible that what's left of the Summit could merge with what is left of the Horizon, and if that includes the former NCC schools and schools like UWGB and UW-Milwaukee, that would actually be a huge upgrade for the Dakota Big 3, IMO. And it would leave the MVFC in tact.

More importantly, it would leave the Big Sky as it is!

Fargo asked the entire NCC to move up as one. Only SDSU and USD voted for it. Northern Colorado had already announced they were leaving regardless.

How would that look with Augustana, Omaha, Mankato, St. Cloud State all in the Summit...oh wait give it 5 years.

Gabe,

I didn't even know that. It's been so long I forgot.

I thought the SL was 2.0 right now...I guess you add St. Cloud and Augy and its NCC 2.1

Hey the NCC was pretty darn good in it's heyday. Best D2 conference on the planet. It's basically a new and improved NCC with more scholarships minus the real !@#!$ teams. Good games and good times. It would stay together longer than we would live.

Gabe,

Revisionist history - Reason was you already had a DI sport and didn't see the need. We can all argue about how hockey controlled the athletic dept but IMO it was true. Nothing wrong with that. The success that the xSU's had in their transition was the reason for the move by UND. If they would have failed do you really think you wouild have made the move?

Hey the NCC was pretty darn good in it's heyday. Best D2 conference on the planet. It's basically a new and improved NCC with more scholarships minus the real !@#!$ teams. Good games and good times. It would stay together longer than we would live.

Yes the NCC (also called the No Cupcake Conference) was great in the day, but that was in the day. Now we (UND) have Montana, Montana State, Weber State you guys have Oakland and.....um......Omaha? Sorry but Omaha doesn't scream powerhouse. St. Cloud State was close to joining but would have to dump football and you really want them in your conference? Or Mankato? Augustana? Until its the Dakota 4 and the Montana's (plus Weber St) or the Dakota 4 in today's MVC, UND is sitting pretty in a very stable conference while the SL will be a team away from the new WAC.

Revisionist history - Reason was you already had a DI sport and didn't see the need. We can all argue about how hockey controlled the athletic dept but IMO it was true. Nothing wrong with that. The success that the xSU's had in their transition was the reason for the move by UND. If they would have failed do you really think you wouild have made the move?

According to BV history, sure, maybe. But, back on planet Earth, I'll trust my sources over BV. Mine were/are a little closer to the actual books. ;).

The success that the xSU's had in their transition was the reason for the move by UND. If they would have failed do you really think you wouild have made the move?

It wasn't the reason, as you put it, but it sure made the leap much easier because there was a precedent and a road map that suggested it "could" be done.

Didn't NDSU fans think they had the best shot at the BSC from what they did in DII only to be pissed when they took UNC. Now they think they have a shot at the MVC because of their success in football even though Omaha fits geographically if Creighton leaves. Gotta love all this speculation that doesn't have to do with UND.

Yes the NCC (also called the No Cupcake Conference) was great in the day, but that was in the day. Now we (UND) have Montana, Montana State, Weber State you guys have Oakland and.....um......Omaha? Sorry but Omaha doesn't scream powerhouse. St. Cloud State was close to joining but would have to dump football and you really want them in your conference? Or Mankato? Augustana? Until its the Dakota 4 and the Montana's (plus Weber St) or the Dakota 4 in today's MVC, UND is sitting pretty in a very stable conference while the SL will be a team away from the new WAC.

What's the RPI of the Big Sky? How about the Summit? How about UND v Omaha? Outside of Montana and Weber the Big Sky is pretty much a bb joke.

What's the RPI of the Big Sky? How about the Summit? How about UND v Omaha? Outside of Montana and Weber the Big Sky is pretty much a bb joke.

Too bad our conference isn't a revolving door for teams to come and go. Keep that MVC dream alive. Too bad the MVC fans think you and NDSU are a joke. With crappy buildings and low attendance.

Too bad the MVC fans think you and NDSU are a joke. With crappy buildings and low attendance.

SDSU has a great basketball facility. Both Fargo and SDSU have about double the attendance for men's basketball that we do.

No way do any of the former NCC schools get into the MVC as we know it. But when the smoke clears, they may end up in something called the Missouri Valley that is made up of remnants of the Summit and Horizon.

Summit is better right now overall. But a joke, really? Summit is pretty top heavy too.

Good thing you guys hit that off-balance prayer of a 3 against us on your home floor.

• Upvote 1

The Summit just lost Oral Roberts last Spring. They will be losing Oakland before long. SDSU will be a lot more ordinary next year. The Summit's RPI will be taking some hits down the road if they have a conference left after a couple of years. I agree. Both conferences only get one team into the tourney anyway. The Big Sky is a lot more stable and it isn't even close.