SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

• 2 weeks later...

Dom's thoughts on the Summit League and the need to get back to 10:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/izzo-the-summit-league-needs-a-new-conference-member-and-soon

I thought the team he mentioned was interesting.  A D-II call that has football - Northwest Missouri State.

When I think of D-II Schools with that profile, I can think of:

1)  Minnesota Mankato

2) Grand Valley State

3) Colorado Pueblo - is the school that most people talk about.  I think Colorado Schools of Mines would be really interesting.

4) Of course Augie, with the success start of hockey and opening of new arena.  Does that put plans on hold or accelerate them seeing that D-I sports brings in the casual fans of Sioux Falls.  

But based on Dom's discussion with other coaches they are hoping for an established D-I program.  The only thing I can think of is:

Arkansas - Little Rock and the two Wisconsin schools in the Horizon or UNC from the Big Sky.  Anyway, same topics as usual.  It will be interesting to see how it goes.  The next steps for the Summit will be interesting.  Will some schools get impatient waiting for expansion and start looking again.  Expansion always tests conferences but the Summit always seems survive.

How about a little Summit League Trivia:

Name the one Private Schools to leave the Summit League for another D-I conference?

Name the other Private School to leave the Summit League to a lower level Division?

How many Public schools have transition to another D-1 conference?

What is the most popular destination for Summit League schools when they leave?

10 hours ago, FSSD said:

Dom's thoughts on the Summit League and the need to get back to 10:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/izzo-the-summit-league-needs-a-new-conference-member-and-soon

I thought the team he mentioned was interesting.  A D-II call that has football - Northwest Missouri State.

When I think of D-II Schools with that profile, I can think of:

1)  Minnesota Mankato

2) Grand Valley State

3) Colorado Pueblo - is the school that most people talk about.  I think Colorado Schools of Mines would be really interesting.

4) Of course Augie, with the success start of hockey and opening of new arena.  Does that put plans on hold or accelerate them seeing that D-I sports brings in the casual fans of Sioux Falls.  

But based on Dom's discussion with other coaches they are hoping for an established D-I program.  The only thing I can think of is:

Arkansas - Little Rock and the two Wisconsin schools in the Horizon or UNC from the Big Sky.  Anyway, same topics as usual.  It will be interesting to see how it goes.  The next steps for the Summit will be interesting.  Will some schools get impatient waiting for expansion and start looking again.  Expansion always tests conferences but the Summit always seems survive.

How about a little Summit League Trivia:

Name the one Private Schools to leave the Summit League for another D-I conference?

Name the other Private School to leave the Summit League to a lower level Division?

How many Public schools have transition to another D-1 conference?

What is the most popular destination for Summit League schools when they leave?

Drake would be sweet 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I think you mean Weems.

fenton stills runs the nchc....shes a proxy. 

when he gets nchc, mvfc, and summit under one umbrella (summit) she can crawl back ipunder whatever rock she crawled out from under at scsu

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Does this not feel different to anyone else? I think there's a legit shot if the MAC expands to 16 like some have suggested that NDSU gets the call. My big question surrounds SDSU. Always has. Losing both XDSU's would be crushing to UND. 

13 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Time for the two douchebags in Fargo to start explaining why and when ndac will be MACs 14 member

I count 3 douchebags and more on any given day , the 3 forum guys at least 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AJS said:

Does this not feel different to anyone else? I think there's a legit shot if the MAC expands to 16 like some have suggested that NDSU gets the call. My big question surrounds SDSU. Always has. Losing both XDSU's would be crushing to UND. 

Does sdsu want to go and would their state legislature allow without usd?

1 hour ago, AJS said:

If Miami didn't even want ASU, in a single sport, I don't see how MAC schools would be interested in sending all their teams to Fargo.  NDSU has nothing to offer them.

On 1/9/2024 at 6:50 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Might be time for hard, honest discussion:

Mayville State enrollment (fall 2021): 1172

Jamestown HS has a larger enrollment. 

JHS probably has about 700-800 students. I believe class sizes are usually under 200.

The point remains though