SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

3 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Surprised no one has mentioned the Pac 12. That will determine what happens in the west. I believe I read that Washington St and Oregon St would have to invite the whole Mountain West (or most???). There is some sort of merger built into their partnership for next year. But if they don't want to fully join the Mountain West why would they take them all? Those two schools get all the payouts and for some reason just announced that they are keeping the Pac 12 network alive for next year.

I see the reformation of the Pac 12 transforming the west. Leave some teams and they'll need a new conference or hold onto the Mountain West but add a bunch of teams.

So Washington State and Oregon State will play for the "Pac 12" title on conference tournament weekend? That would be the most bizarre thing ever.

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

St Thomas literally has zero chance at big10. Zero. 

Big East /MVC yes for sure but summit needs to lock em up for all sports

Just to put in perspective the price ranges we are talking about for each of the conferences (mens BB only):

Summit League:  1.2 m to 2.6 m (StT current level 1.2 m - UND is at 2.0 m - most SL teams at 2.0 m to 2.4 m)

Horizon League:  1.7 m to 5.7 m (UW-Milwaukee with the 5.7 m number, next closest is 2.8 m Detroit Mercy most around mid 2 m)

MVC:  2.2 m to 4.0 m (Murray is the highest for MVC, most are mid 3 m)

A10:  St. Louis is at 7.6 m

AAC:  Wichita St. is at 5.8 m

Big East:  8.0 m to 35.0 m (most are mid teens to 20 m - Syracuse is at 35.0 m.  DePaul is at 8.0 m)

FYI - StT hockey is at 1.3 m for hockey and UND/UNO/DU are at 5.4m/4.9m/4.2m

Now, I would like to be clear that I am very bullish on StT and I think you are really going to see a bump in the programs once the new arena is built.  And I would be in favor of St.T joining NCHC in the near future.  Maybe dumping SCSU.

• Upvote 2

Missouri State to CUSA - seems to be possible that they may actually move this spring. https://sports.yahoo.com/report-says-missouri-state-remains-210609868.html  

Conference USA also had conversations with UMass about joining the conference, especially after announcing around Thanksgiving it would add Delaware in all sports. CUSA hopes to invite a 12th member this spring and Missouri State remains an option there with UMass now off the table. https://theathletic.com/5301023/2024/02/26/mid-american-conference-umass-expansion/?source=user-shared-article&access_token=6510219

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

Missouri State to CUSA - seems to be possible that they may actually move this spring. https://sports.yahoo.com/report-says-missouri-state-remains-210609868.html  

Conference USA also had conversations with UMass about joining the conference, especially after announcing around Thanksgiving it would add Delaware in all sports. CUSA hopes to invite a 12th member this spring and Missouri State remains an option there with UMass now off the table. https://theathletic.com/5301023/2024/02/26/mid-american-conference-umass-expansion/?source=user-shared-article&access_token=6510219

Iirc they hinted the next school would be "west"....

On 2/29/2024 at 8:40 AM, The Sicatoka said:

@Yote 53, that makes sense but the Montanas lose their CA exposure for recruiting. That's a non-starter. 

Montanas are not playing in a Midwest conference, they would accept a MWC invite but not something in the dakotas

46 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Montanas are not playing in a Midwest conference, they would accept a MWC invite but not something in the dakotas

Montanas may not have a choice if the goal is to move up

the big 2 left out west want to be with the big dogs and fcs schools aren’t big dogs the same goes for mwc, I guess it depends on who lets their egos get in the way.

to move up how much increased income  vs increased expenses will there be for fcs schools.  I still see some schools dropping football in the fcs.

• 3 weeks later...

Rumor has it that Missouri State is getting an FBS invite to sun belt or cusa...can't remember which but...

If they leave MVFC would be down to 10 football teams....4 Summit, 5 Missouri Valley, and 1 Horizon.

YSU has wanted FBS (MAC) football for a long time and they are a wild card FCS or otherwise.

Let's say Fenton does announce Summit Football and offers affiliate status to YSU whether it's FCS or FBS....they would take that offer imo. That would put it 5-5...Summit v MVC. At that point it's all eyes on St Thomas....add 5k more seats to current stadium and it's bigger and probably nicer than the USD's. If they bump from Pioneer (which is for sure a short term thing imo) and they joint Summit Football ...Bob's your Uncle...u got 6 and Summit League Football.

UND, NDSU, USD, SDSU, St Thomas, and YSU (affiliate..in terms of compettiion..either Summit or MVFC...easy choice for YSU imo)

IF that does happen the MVFC would consist of the powerhouses of ISUr, ISUb, SIU, UNI, and Murray State.

At that point is  UNI poachable to the Summit League (oly, FB and potentially Summit hockey down the road (arena)?  If UNI leaves could Drake join too (oly and FB?) Package deal?

You can see why Murray State was added......but Fenton is smarter than Jackson.

29 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Rumor has it that Missouri State is getting an FBS invite to sun belt or cusa...can't remember which but...

If they leave MVFC would be down to 10 football teams....4 Summit, 5 Missouri Valley, and 1 Horizon.

YSU has wanted FBS (MAC) football for a long time and they are a wild card FCS or otherwise.

Let's say Fenton does announce Summit Football and offers affiliate status to YSU whether it's FCS or FBS....they would take that offer imo. That would put it 5-5...Summit v MVC. At that point it's all eyes on St Thomas....add 5k more seats to current stadium and it's bigger and probably nicer than the USD's. If they bump from Pioneer (which is for sure a short term thing imo) and they joint Summit Football ...Bob's your Uncle...u got 6 and Summit League Football.

UND, NDSU, USD, SDSU, St Thomas, and YSU (affiliate..in terms of compettiion..either Summit or MVFC...easy choice for YSU imo)

IF that does happen the MVFC would consist of the powerhouses of ISUr, ISUb, SIU, UNI, and Murray State.

At that point is  UNI poachable to the Summit League (oly, FB and potentially Summit hockey down the road (arena)?  If UNI leaves could Drake join too (oly and FB?) Package deal?

You can see why Murray State was added......but Fenton is smarter than Jackson.

For the record, YSU is broke and the MAC hasn't shown interest in them.  I also don't see why YSU would be interested in joining Summit football without the MVFC schools.  Travel would be way worse, and they would have to play SDSU and NDSU every year, and the program is already barely hanging on, middle of the pack.

That said, I still don't think Summit starting football with the MVFC schools is off the table, especially if Missouri State bolts.  Although I don't agree about YSU, I do think Indiana State could very well shut down their FB program any point as well.  Should Missouri State bolt, I'd like to a great riff between the public and private schools develop within the MVC, and if they add schools, hope that they are private, don't have FB, and are East or SE of the current footprint.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, nodak651 said:

For the record, YSU is broke and the MAC hasn't shown interest in them.  I also don't see why YSU would be interested in joining Summit football without the MVFC schools.  Travel would be way worse, and they would have to play SDSU and NDSU every year, and the program is already barely hanging on, middle of the pack.

That said, I still don't think Summit starting football with the MVFC schools is off the table, especially if Missouri State bolts.  Although I don't agree about YSU, I do think Indiana State could very well shut down their FB program any point as well.  Should Missouri State bolt, I'd like to a great riff between the public and private schools develop within the MVC, and if they add schools, hope that they are private, don't have FB, and are East or SE of the current footprint.

LIttle harsh on YSU .....they were in the title game just a few years ago, have a nice(r) indoor PF and their stadium is decent and nicely sized.  If this does happen and 7 teams come together you only have 6 conf games and they can make more money playing OSU, MSU, and whatnot in non conference.

More like to grab Northern Colorado if at thomas were willing for Summit League football. Denver might whine a little but they are a logical travel partner for other sports and it might reignite their football program. 

after the last couple of days nchc better start moving foward strategically against the big10 or keep falling back...

scsu needs to go now!...replaced by st thomas

miami probably needs to go replaced by.....msu augie.....michigan tech...alaska?

10 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

after the last couple of days nchc better start moving foward strategically against the big10 or keep falling back...

scsu needs to go now!...replaced by st thomas

miami probably needs to go replaced by.....msu augie.....michigan tech...alaska?

I don't think a bunch of close NCAA tournament games that didn't go our way is proof of the NCHC "falling back". Both the B1G and the NCHC got 4 teams in this year. The NCHC is not going to become the CCHA.

Having said all that, I am very bullish on St. Thomas like you are and they would add a lot to the NCHC. Miami will leave for the CCHA eventually. I don't think we should have anymore than 10 teams. We don't want to get watered-down like the old WCHA did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I don't think a bunch of close NCAA tournament games that didn't go our way is proof of the NCHC "falling back". Both the B1G and the NCHC got 4 teams in this year. The NCHC is not going to become the CCHA.

Having said all that, I am very bullish on St. Thomas like you are and they would add a lot to the NCHC. Miami will leave for the CCHA eventually. I don't think we should have anymore than 10 teams. We don't want to get watered-down like the old WCHA did.

and nchc needs to make a replay for the ohter und......if the big10 offered them two cases of jolt to join we will now offer 3 cases of jolt...adding st thomas , the other und, and asu and dropping dead weight of scsu and miami would be nice.

ci-jolt-cola-d0088dfafb3b2955.jpeg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

Minnesota State 2024 DII National Champions in men’s and women’s basketball. 

Good for them. The best thing that happened to schools like Mankato was the Dakota 4 moving up to Division I. Maybe Mankato's athletic director would be interested in moving to Grand Forks and injecting some life into our underachieving, underperforming athletic department?

• Upvote 3