SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

17 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

I included the Idaho schools because they are State schools and a conference that looks like that, a conference of peer schools, they may be more inclined to move to FBS for that.

May have a good point about UNC.  I included them solely based on location.  They would be interchangeable with somebody else, maybe EWU or NAU.

I was thinking of NAU as a potential addition as well.

53 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Nothing is preventing them from recruiting California if they were to do this. And as FBS programs, they'll be recruiting California and a lot of other areas anyway.

Playing in front of recruits and families does matter. No conference games in CA for the Montana schools (and Idaho) would not help them. 

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I see UST following a Creighton, Marquette, DePaul, et al "Big East" (Catholic schools, no football) path down the road. 

Not a chance.  They have an extremely proud FB tradition.  More like Butler.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Arizona State on line one for you. ;) 

If UST was in the BEast, the NCHC (someday Summit Hockey) would fiind them a slot, just like they did for ASU. 

ASU is completely different than a hypothetical St. Thomas team in the Big East.  I'd gladly strand them on an Island and invite Mankato, Bemidji, and Augie before taking a St. Thomas program that left the Summit League.  They should know that they are never getting an invite if they leave the SL for the MVC, which would be a necessary step that would need to be taken prior to any consideration from the Big East.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

ASU is completely different than a hypothetical St. Thomas team in the Big East.  I'd gladly strand them on an Island and invite Mankato, Bemidji, and Augie before taking a St. Thomas program that left the Summit League.  They should know that they are never getting an invite if they leave the SL for the MVC, which would be a necessary step that would need to be taken prior to any consideration from the Big East.

This sounds like cutting off your nose to spite your face - assuming the hypothetical St. Thomas is a good fit for the hockey conference.

13 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

This sounds like cutting off your nose to spite your face - assuming the hypothetical St. Thomas is a good fit for the hockey conference.

To a degree, but Mankato is a great program and it looks like Augi will be, as well.  Bemidji isn't really all that bad either.   League would be fine.

Ideally, St. Thomas would already be in the SL for hockey before they have the chance to consider leaving for basketball.  Make the decision to move to a conference like the MVC more difficult.  Goal would be to keep them in the conference, because the SL doesn't have anyone desirable on deck to fill their place.

Hopefully some of these ADs are  having conversations about the future of conferences.  I know certain teams are hoping for that magical invite as that think this will elevate their standing in college sports.  More teams will be cut from school athletics than are moving up, 

St Thomas hockey would much rather be affiliated with UND and UMD than Bemidji and Mankato. Wouldn’t be surprised if they have already been in talks with the NCHC to be the 10th. New arena is on the way. 

They also already play Denver and Omaha in basketball. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

St Thomas hockey would much rather be affiliated with UND and UMD than Bemidji and Mankato. Wouldn’t be surprised if they have already been in talks with the NCHC to be the 10th. New arena is on the way. 

They also already play Denver and Omaha in basketball. 

I am a huge advocate of St. Thomas in the NCHC. I also think we should cap the number of teams at 10. If Miami leaves (which some people in Oxford have suggested), we could add Mankato or Lindenwood.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

academically......how does st thomas matchup with u minny?

(I don’t know the broader answer, but)

they have a large MBA program, with lots of high paid alumni in the senior ranks of twin cities corporations. $$$$

• Like 1

UST's law school is top 100 in the US. Their list of alumni is impressive. They have donors with money. They have lots of hidden influence in MSP. 

UST looks more like a Big East school than a Summit school: Large urban. Catholic. Making a big investment in BB/hockey facility. Their end game surely is not the Summit. Looking at a BEast map, they'd make 12 BB members (6E/6W) and a travel partner for Creighton. 

But UST hockey would need a home. 

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 7:34 AM, The Sicatoka said:

I see UST following a Creighton, Marquette, DePaul, et al "Big East" (Catholic schools, no football) path down the road. 

Loyola is in Chicago, has an NCAA title and a recent iconic Final Four run and was only able to parlay that into the A10. I know a lot on here seem bullish on the Tommies, but the Big East is a long way off if ever. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/29/2024 at 8:40 AM, The Sicatoka said:

@Yote 53, that makes sense but the Montanas lose their CA exposure for recruiting. That's a non-starter. 

If you dropped idaho state for UMKC for all sports, you could add the 3 Cali schools for football only to get to 12. For non football you'd have I29 Division and West Division, for football have 3 pods, Dakota 4, Cali plus Weber, and montanas,unc,Idaho.

Play all your podmates and 3 of four in other pods for 9 games. Everyone gets at least 1 game in Cali every year and travel partners for other sport are ideal with possible exception of Idaho-weber (or you go idaho-monrana and weber-msu as travel partners)

On 2/29/2024 at 1:09 PM, JohnboyND7 said:

What does St Thomas add. ASU besides being a national brand gives recruiting exposure to the Southwest and a highly desirable road trip during the winter hockey months.   If they are at a Big East level in basketball,  I'd be stunned if they would still be making the commitment to hockey that wed want to see in an NCHC school.  I this it's highly likely that in this time frame that you'd see BC in the Big East as they are a likely big loser in football based realignment. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

What does St Thomas add. ASU besides being a national brand gives recruiting exposure to the Southwest and a highly desirable road trip during the winter hockey months.   If they are at a Big East level in basketball,  I'd be stunned if they would still be making the commitment to hockey that wed want to see in an NCHC school.  I this it's highly likely that in this time frame that you'd see BC in the Big East as they are a likely big loser in football based realignment. 

What do you have against St. Thomas? They are not just another MIAC school anymore. They have a large, successful and loyal alumni base. They have excellent academics. They are in the Twin Cities media market. They are building a new arena for basketball and hockey. They moved up to Division I when they could have moved up to Division II and settled for life in the NSIC.

They are a sleeping giant that won't be asleep for long. They have GIGANTIC upside and I am sure the B1G would love to have them as their 8th member for hockey. That is why the NCHC has to get to them first. They are a great addition to the Summit League and would make a great 10th member of the NCHC.

So far, the only complaint you have come up with about UST is that they are in Minnesota. Do you have anything else to your position than that?

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

What do you have against St. Thomas? They are not just another MIAC school anymore. They have a large, successful and loyal alumni base. They have excellent academics. They are in the Twin Cities media market. They are building a new arena for basketball and hockey. They moved up to Division I when they could have moved up to Division II and settled for life in the NSIC.

They are a sleeping giant that won't be asleep for long. They have GIGANTIC upside and I am sure the B1G would love to have them as their 8th member for hockey. That is why the NCHC has to get to them first. They are a great addition to the Summit League and would make a great 10th member of the NCHC.

So far, the only complaint you have come up with about UST is that they are in Minnesota. Do you have anything else to your position than that?

I have nothing against them, I just need evidence rather than handing them things on potential.  

To the the big ten has any interest in them is delusional.  First, Minnesota would never let that happen and they in no way have a brand that would merit inclusion either as a school or hockey program. They are not Notre Dame or Johns Hopkins, the only Big Ten affiliates.  

The fact that they went non schollie in football shows they don't have a bottomless pit of cash for athletics. 

So I don't have anything against them, but just because they had some success when they were a big fish in a small pond, I'm not convinced they will become some kind of juggernaut.  DU has the same advantages and more visibility nationally but by no means dominate in the Summit League. I need to see some evidence of prolonged success before I fear losing them to greener pastures.

3 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

I have nothing against them, I just need evidence rather than handing them things on potential.  

To the the big ten has any interest in them is delusional.  First, Minnesota would never let that happen and they in no way have a brand that would merit inclusion either as a school or hockey program. They are not Notre Dame or Johns Hopkins, the only Big Ten affiliates.  

The fact that they went non schollie in football shows they don't have a bottomless pit of cash for athletics. 

So I don't have anything against them, but just because they had some success when they were a big fish in a small pond, I'm not convinced they will become some kind of juggernaut.  DU has the same advantages and more visibility nationally but by no means dominate in the Summit League. I need to see some evidence of prolonged success before I fear losing them to greener pastures.

In today's collegiate sports landscape, you need to think two or three steps ahead. It cannot be just about what things look like now. If the B1G isn't interested in them, all the better. Their snobbishness will cost them in the long run.

I just don't think UST moved up to Division I to be a low major doormat.

Surprised no one has mentioned the Pac 12. That will determine what happens in the west. I believe I read that Washington St and Oregon St would have to invite the whole Mountain West (or most???). There is some sort of merger built into their partnership for next year. But if they don't want to fully join the Mountain West why would they take them all? Those two schools get all the payouts and for some reason just announced that they are keeping the Pac 12 network alive for next year.

I see the reformation of the Pac 12 transforming the west. Leave some teams and they'll need a new conference or hold onto the Mountain West but add a bunch of teams.