SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

I wonder how much attention has been redirected from UND to Montana in the Big Sky due to the federal investigations. The nickname is an issue that the UND administration has been attempting to put behind them, but have been handcuffed from doing so by the state. The Montana investigation also includes handcuffs, but in a different way. I don't see UND getting the boot and would love for Idaho to go back to the Big Sky.

in all seriousness johnnyboy...does ndac look forward to the summit without oru, oakland, and uipui?

Couldn't tell you what the athletic department thinks. I can tell you that I thoroughly enjoy the football conference we play in. Maybe instead of assuming Oakland and IUPUI are gone, maybe you should worry about what UND will do if the Sky says no thank you.

Darrell, that could happen I suppose. I really do not care too much where the non-football teams play, as long as an auto-bid is on the line.

Couldn't tell you what the athletic department thinks. I can tell you that I thoroughly enjoy the football conference we play in. Maybe instead of assuming Oakland and IUPUI are gone, maybe you should worry about what UND will do if the Sky says no thank you.

Darrell, that could happen I suppose. I really do not care too much where the non-football teams play, as long as an auto-bid is on the line.

The 2 don't have to be mutually exclusive. You can think about both without too much exertion.

So Johnnyboy is kind of like UND's "hockey only" crowd? I still laugh when I tell people that I know are "hockey only fans" that I'm heading to a Sioux game and they panic and say "I thought they were in Madison this weekend?" I then tell them I'm going to a basketball game which is then followed by the "i'm michael jordan" look of disappointment on their faces.

• Upvote 2

So Johnnyboy is kind of like UND's "hockey only" crowd? I still laugh when I tell people that I know are "hockey only fans" that I'm heading to a Sioux game and they panic and say "I thought they were in Madison this weekend?" I then tell them I'm going to a basketball game which is then followed by the "i'm michael jordan" look of disappointment on their faces.

No...I go to the games. I cheer for them to do well. As long as they have a home and are competitive I am happy. The UND hockey-only crowd is a totally seperate entity from UND fans.

No...I go to the games. I cheer for them to do well. As long as they have a home and are competitive I am happy. The UND hockey-only crowd is a totally seperate entity from UND fans.

So you would rather have NDAC in their current situation playing football in one conference and their olympic sports with these schools...

uno

sdsu

usd

uipfw

um-kc

scsu

gvsu

instead of one conference for everything?

ok then?

So you would rather have NDAC in their current situation playing football in one conference and their olympic sports with these schools...

uno

sdsu

usd

uipfw

um-kc

scsu

gvsu

ok then?

Nothing wrong with that...UND is in the Big Sky, GWC (baseball), and WAC(swimming).

uno

sdsu

usd

uipfw

um-kc

scsu

gvsu

ok then?

I don't see a problem with that. Did you have a problem with UND playing in the WCHA for hockey and playing in the NCC/Great West for all those years?

I would hate to see NDSU join the Big Sky.

As far as Idaho, I never considered the angle where they could be added and UND tossed as a result. I think the chances of that are remote, but that's a new concept to me that I don't care for obviously.

Since we joined the Big Sky, I've really wanted to have Idaho drop down and rejoin. I figure it would have huge stabilizing effect on the league. It would give 14 members for football, and 12 for everything else. All of the schools that matter in the Big sky would be ecstatic to have them, mainly the Montana schools.

Has anyone read any threads where the Idaho fans are weighing in on the football program's current situation? Just curious as to what their opinions are....I suppose they don't want to see the Vandals go back to FCS, but might be better than being an independent.

Has anyone read any threads where the Idaho fans are weighing in on the football program's current situation? Just curious as to what their opinions are....I suppose they don't want to see the Vandals go back to FCS, but might be better than being an independent.

Take your pick..... Vandals.net

and if you want the full WAC take..... WAC Board

Someone has taken the time to fade the icons of the teams leaving the WAC on the WAC board.

Take your pick..... Vandals.net

and if you want the full WAC take..... WAC Board

Someone has taken the time to fade the icons of the teams leaving the WAC on the WAC board.

I thought our threads got heated, but these Vandal fans are holding nothing back. I don't blame them given the position they're in right now. I was reading on the Vandal.net link and found one topic to be of particular interest: Montana and Montana State. Does UND already have a future goal of making the leap to the top tier of college football or is this guy just speculating?

libertylakevandal

Vandal Fan

478 posts this site

RE: Montana and Montana St.

that may be true, but they (MSU and UM) have the football facilities to move up. We don't and if we go to the Big Sky, we never will. We will end up with EWU, ISU, PSU as our big rivals. Lucky to get 10k for those teams. UM and MSU will eventually move up, probably when North Dakota does. 5 to 10 years.

I don't see a problem with that. Did you have a problem with UND playing in the WCHA for hockey and playing in the NCC/Great West for all those years?

I think it was more about the schools he listed. Lots of teams that were dII when ndsu left for fcs. Glorified ncc, if you will.

I think it was more about the schools he listed. Lots of teams that were dII when ndsu left for fcs. Glorified ncc, if you will.

Well once upon a time, NDSU and SDSU were the two young kids on the block and now between us we typically have at least one of the top teams in the league in every sport. I have no problem playing with those same schools again if they are willing to make the investment required to compete in Division I. Would I prefer the Summit to stay the same as it currently is? You bet. But can't really do anything but sit back and see what happens at this point.

A lot of dominoes need to fall but this is what I could see happening;

Idaho & New Mexico St. become football only members of the Sun Belt and keeps all other sports in WAC.

WAC stops sponsoring football and adds Utah Valley and Cal-Bakersfield to make 7 members for all sports. Maybe Texas Pan-American to make it 8.

Big Sky tells UND to take a hike, because dropping UND means they would have 12 football and 10 all sports members.

UND becomes the 8th or 9th WAC all sports member.

UND begs, borrows, and deal for a MVFC membership.

A lot of dominoes need to fall but this is what I could see happening;

Idaho & New Mexico St. become football only members of the Sun Belt and keeps all other sports in WAC.

WAC stops sponsoring football and adds Utah Valley and Cal-Bakersfield to make 7 members for all sports. Maybe Texas Pan-American to make it 8.

Big Sky tells UND to take a hike, because dropping UND means they would have 12 football and 10 all sports members.

UND becomes the 8th or 9th WAC all sports member.

UND begs, borrows, and deal for a MVFC membership.

You do realize that means 13 presidents have to rule in favor of this.....easier said than done. Some look at more than just athletics.

You do realize that means 13 presidents have to rule in favor of this.....easier said than done. Some look at more than just athletics.

One of the things they look at is PR. Having the issue mentioned side by side with the words Big Sky over and over again will not be seen favorably. The 2 football only schools will not get a vote because they are not full members. UND will not get a vote. Only 10 schools would vote on the issue. Don't know if it will happen or not, but it is a definite possibility.

Colleges are politically correct. If UND has the 'Fighting Sioux' name and are on sanctions, they will not be a member of the Big Sky. You know this. Do not pretend that UND has a 50/50 chance at staying in the Sky with the nickname.

One of the things they look at is PR. Having the issue mentioned side by side with the words Big Sky over and over again will not be seen favorably. The 2 football only schools will not get a vote because they are not full members. UND will not get a vote. Only 10 schools would vote on the issue. Don't know if it will happen or not, but it is a definite possibility.

I'm with you on that.

Colleges are politically correct. If UND has the 'Fighting Sioux' name and are on sanctions, they will not be a member of the Big Sky. You know this. Do not pretend that UND has a 50/50 chance at staying in the Sky with the nickname.

I'm with you on that.

What BSC presidents have come out publically against the nickname?? I know there are fans mad at UND joining because of the travel, Fullerton is not thrilled about the nickname but ISU has been silent, Montana and Montana State has said nothing why isn't these presidents saying anything. You would think that would be more ammo in retiring the name but so far no one except Fullerton has said a word.