SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

10 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Fact is it wasnt illegal drugs

If it were illegal drugs law enforcement would be involved. They were and are not. Plus if it was illegal drugs there would have been no appeal to the NCAA and he would have lost his scholarship of which he didnt.

The simplest explanation of the known facts is usually correct. For the caffeine explanation to be true all that is required is that one college student made a mistake in preparing for a very important game. No law enforcement, no conspiracy of NDSU players, coaches, etc. Just one guy drinking too many mountain dews while taking a supplement containing lots of caffeine, that's all. 

• Downvote 2

28 minutes ago, bison73 said:

If it were illegal drugs law enforcement would be involved. They were and are not.

Not saying that there were "illegal drugs" involved in this instance but the statement that law enforcement would be be involved is absolutely false. Have any of the other players who have been dismissed or suspended for "violation of team rules" had law enforcement involved....?

11 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

The simplest explanation of the known facts is usually correct. For the caffeine explanation to be true all that is required is that one college student made a mistake in preparing for a very important game. No law enforcement, no conspiracy of NDSU players, coaches, etc. Just one guy drinking too many mountain dews while taking a supplement containing lots of caffeine, that's all. 

One college student? Or a trusted staff member? There is a long list of banned stimulants and all we know is BR tested positive for one of them. He gave his side of the story to the paper, because he wanted to clear his name, yet he specifically didn't say it was caffeine. And the supplement that has been referenced to be the culprit is actually a low caffeine supplement, so either he was told to take a double/triple dose plus all this supposed Mt Dew, or you're just making things up as you go.

• Upvote 2

Knowing we had a player suspended for a year for taking a stimulant popular among college students, that law enforcement didn't get involved, and that the stimulant wasn't caffeine, I see no reason to assume the ndsu player tested positive for drinking too many cokes, said the ndsu coaches gave him the substance, was thrown under the bus by ndsu coaches and staff, and has avoided publicly stating the substance was caffeine..

41 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Now you're claiming to know what a "neutral observer" might find peculiar about it? I'm by no means neutral, but the caffeine explanation seems to be, by far, the most likely to me.

If it was caffeine, somebody officially just say it.
Heck, you'll get pity from me: I'm on my second 0.5L of Diet Dew of the day after two cups of coffee this morning. 

Instead, there's a factual information void.
Those are always filled by hearsay and speculation and innuendo. 
Yet they're letting that go on to the negative. 

• Upvote 1

The wording is interesting.  If it was caffeine, you think that would choose different wording than saying that he tested positive for a banned substance, because caffeine isn't banned - having too much of it in your system is, right.  So wouldn't they choose different wording?  Words mean something.

• Upvote 2

Folks, please don't conflate "illegal" in the NCAA sense (banned) and "illegal" in the criminal code sense. 

All we know is Robbins' career is over due to an NCAA illegal (banned) substance. That substance is yet to be officially declared. 

I don't buy the caffeine thing, but it was probably just something like creatine, which isn't that big of a deal.  No matter what happened though, NDSU treated the guy like crap, and turned a non issue into a controversy. LOL

Just now, nodak651 said:

I don't buy the caffeine thing, but it was probably just something like creatine, which isn't that big of a deal.  No matter what happened though, NDSU treated the guy like crap, and turned a non issue into a controversy. LOL

The kid's mom is an NDSU alum, member of their Athletic HOF, and the first All-American in the history of their WBB program.  Correction, pissed off alum.  :D

2 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

mods....this is conf realignment and the summit just added a decent school and we're talking about mountain dew?

Diet. ;)
Point taken.

SIOUXFAN97 is correct.
Please perform a course correction. 

3 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

mods....this is conf realignment and the summit just added a decent school and we're talking about mountain dew?

Might I call that a tad strong. UMKC is what it is. 

Is UMKC called the Kangaroos because they keep hopping around conferences? 

1 hour ago, Gothmog said:

Now you're claiming to know what a "neutral observer" might find peculiar about it? I'm by no means neutral, but the caffeine explanation seems to be, by far, the most likely to me.

There’s an official “caffeine explanation”. ??   Well good- as that’s the link I’m waiting for you to provide.... 

whats that?   Oh, caffeine is just the rumored substance of choice among bison fans?  Ah, ok.  

1 minute ago, darell1976 said:

I think Augie should join as we need more teams to keep the conference strong and who knows what the future holds with teams like IPFW, Oral Roberts and Western Illinois. 

can't we just keep taking wac schools....nmsu and seattle would be nice gets...wac is losing bakersfield, umc, and woudn't be surprised if chicago state closed so for nmsu and seattle maybe a move to the summit will look better down the road.

If Augie is able and willing to make the financial investment to be a Summit League institution,  I would be fine with them coming. 

There are a lot of small schools in division 1 that do just fine at the D1 level. 

19 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Might I call that a tad strong. UMKC is what it is. 

Is UMKC called the Kangaroos because they keep hopping around conferences? 

At least UMKC is an established D-I school. (No transition period like Augustana or St Thomas will have) 

21 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

if we added baseball back would that keep little augie out?

Honestly, that's what the Summit members need to do.  We need to make the hard choices and align our sports offerings.  It's a shame that we have to entertain Augie because neither UND or USD offers baseball.  So we have to bring in little Augustana, who somehow has the resources to offer a program that somehow neither UND or USD is able to offer.  It should be a no-brainer, and a mandate from the league office, that both the Coyotes and F-Hawks add a baseball program.

For that matter, accepting UMKC back should have been conditional that they also offer baseball.  But at least the Roos offer men's soccer, so there is that.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Honestly, that's what the Summit members need to do.  We need to make the hard choices and align our sports offerings.  It's a shame that we have to entertain Augie because neither UND or USD offers baseball.  So we have to bring in little Augustana, who somehow has the resources to offer a program that somehow neither UND or USD is able to offer.  It should be a no-brainer, and a mandate from the league office, that both the Coyotes and F-Hawks add a baseball program.

For that matter, accepting UMKC back should have been conditional that they also offer baseball.  But at least the Roos offer men's soccer, so there is that.

In retrospect, they should have taken UND and UNC as affiliates way back when instead of letting them go to the WAC. 

UMKC does solve the Men's soccer issue for now, because it brings them to 7.

Baseball isn't coming back to UND, Pandora's box is staying shut. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

agreed....u would think that conference members would work together to have  a cohesive idea about which sports to sponsor or not with some being required...baseball at usd and und could be back in one year if needed...