SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

NDSU is not moving up to FBS. The biggest accomplishment they could hope for in FBS is 7-5 and an invite to the Whatever.Com Bowl played in mid-December on a weeknight in front of a half-full (at best) stadium on one of ESPN's channels. They aren't that stupid.

Not to mention they would have the smallest dome that the FBS would have (now that Idaho is back to the Big Sky), with no replacement for the 27 year old dome in sight with money problems both NDSU and Fargo has, and by money problems with NDSU I mean they did have to cut corners on the SHAC by reusing old seating from the BSA because money was running out, plus diversion and property tax problems Fargo voters won't accept paying for a new dome. So unless NDSU unveils the 35,000 seat Carson Wentz Stadium, NDSU is in the FCS for good unless there is a split at the FBS level.

• Upvote 1

The UMKC move will likely eliminate Chicago State from the WAC too.  CSU is down to 1200 students and is broke.  It’s actually on a contract basis with the WAC, and that contract won’t be renewed.  The Summit can take them, not.

NoColo has a good league for baseball, as Sac St is there too, and it’s mostly southern.  No Col could have made much more sense as a full member because it would bring fb to six Summit members and the Summit would not need to constantly replace baseball and men’s soccer schools.  But FCS isn’t what these changes are about.

NDSU and SDSU will have to go to the Horizon League for baseball affiliation, as the MVC won’t want their weak programs.

8 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Not to mention they would have the smallest dome that the FBS would have (now that Idaho is back to the Big Sky), with no replacement for the 27 year old dome in sight with money problems both NDSU and Fargo has, and by money problems with NDSU I mean they did have to cut corners on the SHAC by reusing old seating from the BSA because money was running out, plus diversion and property tax problems Fargo voters won't accept paying for a new dome. So unless NDSU unveils the 35,000 seat Carson Wentz Stadium, NDSU is in the FCS for good unless there is a split at the FBS level.

NDSU could go FBS today with the Fargodome without making any increases in seating. The Fargodome meets the minimum standard for FBS capacity and they probably have more FB ticket revenue than a great majority of the G5 FBS schools while they are still in the FCS. They charge as much for a ticket than the bottom third of the Big 10. UND on the other hand would have to get creative with having a "home" game at a power 5 away stadium to work the attendance numbers to qualify. I am not saying NDSU is going FBS anytime soon, but they could with the Fargodome as is. 

There is more chatter that UConn will return to the Big East.

http://www.digitalsportsdesk.com/ncaa-basketball/big-east/uconn-to-return-to-big-east/

Air Force could find a spot in the AAC for football, but would need a spot for their other sports, like Navy does.

Could the Summit be a home?  That would temporarily solve the baseball and men’s soccer issues.

3 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

NDSU could go FBS today with the Fargodome without making any increases in seating. The Fargodome meets the minimum standard for FBS capacity and they probably have more FB ticket revenue than a great majority of the G5 FBS schools while they are still in the FCS. They charge as much for a ticket than the bottom third of the Big 10. UND on the other hand would have to get creative with having a "home" game at a power 5 away stadium to work the attendance numbers to qualify. I am not saying NDSU is going FBS anytime soon, but they could with the Fargodome as is. 

So you think NDSU is going to have a 15,000+ attendance each game year after year? We saw how well NDSU sold tickets prior to 2010 with a half filled dome and tickets sold at Stop N Go. At least G5 teams have some bigger stadiums so in case they crap out a season they can still make the 15k minimum.

9 hours ago, darell1976 said:

So you think NDSU is going to have a 15,000+ attendance each game year after year? We saw how well NDSU sold tickets prior to 2010 with a half filled dome and tickets sold at Stop N Go. At least G5 teams have some bigger stadiums so in case they crap out a season they can still make the 15k minimum.

Ummm NDSU averaged over 15K in 2010 after winning 3 games in 2009 and like 6 games in 2008. So yeah.....uhhh I think NDSU is gonna keep getting 15K plus lmaoooo.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Ummm NDSU averaged over 15K in 2010 after winning 3 games in 2009 and like 6 games in 2008. So yeah.....uhhh I think NDSU is gonna keep getting 15K plus lmaoooo.

What does prior to 2010 mean to you?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

What does prior to 2010 mean to you?

I went to prior to 2010. I went to 08 and 09(the two worst years of D1 football in Fargo) and attendance still was still fine. I dug a little further back and attendance was fine as well, particularly considering how trash their schedules were back then.

If you are talking about the late 90's or early 2000's, yeah. Attendance doesnt look very good relative to nowadays. NDSU has been D1 long enough now and has enough seasons under their belt now to have a pretty accurate baseline of expectations of what sort of crowds will show up. If they can get people to show up during a 7-4 season that followed a 3-8 season which followed a 6-5 season, I'd be very interested in seeing what would have to happen in order to keep people from coming.

I think they got about 12K season ticket holders as well as 3K+ in the student section so just right there the fake attendance requirement would already be satisfied. 

2 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I hate to take away from the latest yellow stream match but....

Interesting that UCONN is going back to the Big East, be interesting to see what they do with FB

I'm surprised that the Big East is letting them come since they arent a private school 

12 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I went to prior to 2010. I went to 08 and 09(the two worst years of D1 football in Fargo) and attendance still was still fine. I dug a little further back and attendance was fine as well, particularly considering how trash their schedules were back then.

If you are talking about the late 90's or early 2000's, yeah. Attendance doesnt look very good relative to nowadays. NDSU has been D1 long enough now and has enough seasons under their belt now to have a pretty accurate baseline of expectations of what sort of crowds will show up. If they can get people to show up during a 7-4 season that followed a 3-8 season which followed a 6-5 season, I'd be very interested in seeing what would have to happen in order to keep people from coming.

I think they got about 12K season ticket holders as well as 3K+ in the student section so just right there the fake attendance requirement would already be satisfied. 

People will show up against 3 Dakota teams and UNI, but how many will show up against the likes of Georgia State, ULM, and Arkansas St? Not only would they have the smallest stadium but a trip to the New Orleans Bowl against Middle Tennessee St like the 2018 champs App State did, doesn’t scream excitement. 

39 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

People will show up against 3 Dakota teams and UNI, but how many will show up against the likes of Georgia State, ULM, and Arkansas St? Not only would they have the smallest stadium but a trip to the New Orleans Bowl against Middle Tennessee St like the 2018 champs App State did, doesn’t scream excitement. 

Odd. They have had good crowds against plenty of teams. If the people showed up for Cal Poly and Southern Utah, I am not sure why they wouldn't for Arkansas St. 

6 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I hate to take away from the latest yellow stream match but....

Interesting that UCONN is going back to the Big East, be interesting to see what they do with FB

It will be tough to fill an FBS independent schedule by 2020.  Most of FBS has long been scheduled.

Later years could be better.

Maybe a deal with BYU can be worked out, where BYU moves its football to the AAC, and UConn gets much of its independent schedule.  BYU’s AD has stated that they will need a football conference eventually.

AAC schools will be getting a huge cable increase in coming years, but it is still less than half of what a Big East schools get from FOX.

5 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

does the big east now add one more west school and go six west and six east?

St Louis would probably be favored, but their winning % has not been that great lately.

UConn would bring much support for Big East’s tournament in MSG.

NDSU is like Appalachian St and Georgia Southern, who needed a conference slate of free games to go FBS.  Independence at the FBS level is almost financially impossible for NDSU, as they don’t currently have the cash that Liberty does.

NDSU needs other schools regionally that will group together to go FBS, and what I’ve been saying meshes with that.

Almost all the so called Great Northern now have or are building indoor practice centers, which is nearly a must for FBS recruiting.

On 6/21/2019 at 9:38 PM, nd1sufan said:

General questions- What women’s sport are you adding?  Can you charge that much more for tickets for the increase in coaching salaries and scholarships?  

10 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Considering AR state has been to a bowl game every year since 2012 I would say it would be a sellout. Same with Georgia State and ULM as we havent played them before so there would be very good interest in those games. FYI ULM is a former 1-AA National champion.

Even though Im not a proponent of a move to FBS at this juncture I would love to go to New Orleans for a bowl game.  My bet is we would take 20k plus fans there and it would be a great party.

19 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

It will be tough to fill an FBS independent schedule by 2020.  Most of FBS has long been scheduled.

Later years could be better.

Maybe a deal with BYU can be worked out, where BYU moves its football to the AAC, and UConn gets much of its independent schedule.  BYU’s AD has stated that they will need a football conference eventually.

AAC schools will be getting a huge cable increase in coming years, but it is still less than half of what a Big East schools get from FOX.

St Louis would probably be favored, but their winning % has not been that great lately.

UConn would bring much support for Big East’s tournament in MSG.

st louis is an outlier but still have the pull to host the a10 tourney?...they would be a good/great fit for the big east tho

On 6/21/2019 at 12:56 PM, darell1976 said:

Your going to have to come up with something better than seating in the BSA from 5-6 years ago. Especially since all of out sports are fully funded when yours arent. Plus you dont speak for all the voters. But the fact is the FD is still a very viable venue for at least the next 10 years.

25 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

st louis is an outlier but still have the pull to host the a10 tourney?...they would be a good/great fit for the big east tho

The Big East could just add UConn, as that would give 20 games against everyone with a totally balanced schedule.  But the travel situation would be non-ideal.

Presume Xavier would block Dayton, but the network may not like them either as their local media overlaps.

5 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The Big East could just add UConn, as that would give 20 games against everyone with a totally balanced schedule.  But the travel situation would be non-ideal.

Presume Xavier would block Dayton, but the network may not like them either as their local media overlaps.

could they just vote out creighton and say bye bye and not deal with odd travel situation now that they have uconn back

12 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Your going to have to come up with something better than seating in the BSA from 5-6 years ago. Especially since all of out sports are fully funded when yours arent. Plus you dont speak for all the voters. But the fact is the FD is still a very viable venue for at least the next 10 years.

Please list what sports aren’t fully funded? 

9 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

could they just vote out creighton and say bye bye and not deal with odd travel situation now that they have uconn back

Most conferences with cable sports contracts are moving to 20 conference games per team.  Creighton is not in any danger, as they fill Century Link.  The BE should replace DePaul with Loyola but that wont happen either.