SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

1 minute ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I think BC might have a small problem with them. 

maybe...but bc being new to the conf you would think that more powerful  bball schools like unc and duke would love to have the huskies come to town every year.

44 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Most conferences with cable sports contracts are moving to 20 conference games per team.  Creighton is not in any danger, as they fill Century Link.  The BE should replace DePaul with Loyola but that wont happen either.

...replace DePaul? What on earth lmaooooooo. Replace the largest Catholic school in the country with Loyola because....why exactly?

30 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

once again which programs and site a source?

I had a link from an article but cant find it. The financials UND provided dont indicate which sports are under funded. But here is one of you own stating so.---

geaux_sioux

• geaux_sioux
  • Members
  •  
  • 14,415 posts

More than doubling scholarship dollars since 2009 is huge. We need all sports fully funded.

31 minutes ago, bison73 said:

I had a link from an article but cant find it. The financials UND provided dont indicate which sports are under funded. But here is one of you own stating so.---

geaux_sioux

• geaux_sioux
  • Members
  •  
  • 14,415 posts

More than doubling scholarship dollars since 2009 is huge. We need all sports fully funded.

under funded or fully funded....wow. i would say that ndac bball is under funded compared to usd or would ndac be fully funded compared to omaha?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

under funded or fully funded....wow. i would say that ndac bball is under funded compared to usd or would ndac be fully funded compared to omaha?

What does that have to do with UND being underfunded???

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

...replace DePaul? What on earth lmaooooooo. Replace the largest Catholic school in the country with Loyola because....why exactly?

I dont know why DePaul, with that basketball hotbed that is Chicago, cannot do any better than the doldrums of the Big East (although they finally had a decent year last year)

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

wouldn't uconn be a candidate for the ACC tho...huge endowment and a two great bball programs which is more than syracuse can say.

They lost the beauty pageant with Louisville, because UConn’s football is poor and Louisville has been on the rise.  So Louisville got the supposedly last ACC slot.

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I dont know why DePaul, with that basketball hotbed that is Chicago, cannot do any better than the doldrums of the Big East (although they finally had a decent year last year)

DePaul supposedly has the most mismanaged athletic department in DI.  It’s more about staffing nepotism (friends and family) than winning.  There has been a scathing article or two on this in the past.

43 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i thought u said we weren't fully funded...is ndac fully funded or underfunded?  your are kinda confusing

You arent.  

Comprehension is hard for you I see. Should I speak slower?:lol:

An article on why Arizona State was reluctant to leave the then WAC for the PAC 8.  Arizona wanted to go, but Ariz St lacked top notch academics and research and Kush didn’t want to move.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/asu/2019/06/22/pac-8-expansion-asu-has-ua-thank-push-move-wac-pac/3535235002/

The much higher money with the P5 changes things dramatically now.

7 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i thought u said we weren't fully funded...is ndac fully funded or underfunded?  your are kinda confusing

Not sure if you don't understand or are being purposefully dense, but fully funded vs. not fully funded is about scholarships. A fully funded program is one that gives out the maximum number of scholarships allowed by the governing body(NCAA DI in our case). Or at least a program that allocates enough money to award all scholarships allowed(sometimes football or WBB might sit on a scholarship or two for recruiting reasons).

NDSU has been fully funded across the board for a few years now. I believe men's golf or baseball was the last program to reach that mark. My understanding is that all the women's programs were fully funded from the first day of DI because of Title IX reasons.

As for UND, it's been in the news repeatedly over the years that many of your programs are not fully funded. The most detailed and recent info I could find in a few minutes came from about 27 months ago. Things have improved(the Summit League required it), but I believe many programs are still not at 100% funding. I'll look a bit more to see if I can find info from last season.

Scholarship funding levels as of the end of 2016-17 season:

100%
MIH
FB
MBB
WBB

85-100%
VB (closer to 100% than 85%)
WSoc

70% (these 3 were required to reach at least 85% by the fall of 2018)
WG
SB
WT&F

<70%
MG
MT&F
MT
WT

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4242553-und-cuts-womens-hockey-mens-and-womens-swimming

13 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

100%
MIH
FB
MBB
WBB

85-100%
VB (closer to 100% than 85%)
WSoc

70% (these 3 were required to reach at least 85% by the fall of 2018)
WG
SB
WT&F

<70%
MG
MT&F
MT
WT

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4242553-und-cuts-womens-hockey-mens-and-womens-swimming

As of July 1, 2018 WT&F is at 100%.

MT is at 83%

WT is 94%.

This took less than 30 seconds to find. 

"Men's tennis went from no scholarships in 2017 to a scheduled 3.75 for 2019. Women's tennis went from roughly 4.5 in 2017 to 7.5 in 2019, while women's track and field/cross country went from a little more than 14 in 2017 to 18 in 2019."

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4438530-year-after-cutting-sports-und-athletics-adjusting-slimmer-budget

• Upvote 1

Here we go. These are most of the numbers from last year(2018-2019 season / FY2019). Significant improvement, but several sports still not fully funded.

100%
MIH
FB
MBB
WBB
WT&F
VB

85+%
WSoc
WG
SB
WT - 94%

<85%
MT - 83%
MT&F - ?
MG - 33%

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4438530-year-after-cutting-sports-und-athletics-adjusting-slimmer-budget

4 minutes ago, southpaw said:

As of July 1, 2018 WT&F is at 100%.

MT is at 83%

WT is 94%.

This took less than 30 seconds to find. 

"Men's tennis went from no scholarships in 2017 to a scheduled 3.75 for 2019. Women's tennis went from roughly 4.5 in 2017 to 7.5 in 2019, while women's track and field/cross country went from a little more than 14 in 2017 to 18 in 2019."

I was already typing out an update when you posted that.

• Upvote 1