SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

1 minute ago, SiouxVolley said:

An FBS conference needs eight teams, not six.  Perhaps Spears meant with six additional team beyond Idaho and NMSU, they caneed stay FBS.

The Big Sky has talked about FBS and FCS divisions for some time, often called a research division  (FBS) breaking off in admin vernacular.

I'd love to see this happen, and I think this is the only way you would see it happen. The Montana's, Dakota's etc. going together. I wonder how long it would take for the talks to fruition...I would assume at least a year or 2? Your guesses?

On 2/26/2016 at 3:25 PM, SiouxVolley said:

The AAC does  not take FCS moveups.  Old Dominion, UMass, N Ill, UTSA among others are possible substitutions.

No Dakota schools will go to the MAC or CUSA schools to backfill.

After the 2017 season. Idaho and NMSU will play in the belt through 2017 season. 

1 minute ago, GFG said:

I'd love to see this happen, and I think this is the only way you would see it happen. The Montana's, Dakota's etc. going together. I wonder how long it would take for the talks to fruition...I would assume at least a year or 2? Your guesses?

2018 would start any transition.  But it would need a rule change.

The Montanas would want to be in the center of things, so EWU, UC Davis, Cal Poly would be in for them to play.

18 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Do you think Idaho will be on our schedule for 2018?

Big sky already has conference games through 2019 so they could do some rearranging, however UND needs an OOC game (preferably at home) in 2017-2019.

At least Idaho tried, there isn't much left for them to do, no conference available that wants them.

There does need to be a FBS conference ("MAC of the West") in those parts, at least for the sake of the Montanas and/or Dakota's (even if it isn't UND).

13 minutes ago, Cratter said:

At least Idaho tried, there isn't much left for them to do, no conference available that wants them.

There does need to be a FBS conference ("MAC of the West") in those parts, at least for the sake of the Montanas and/or Dakota's (even if it isn't UND).

Correction: The Big Sky wants them. 

And yes, the west is short a "MAC of the West" conference and when it comes it'll include UND because the Big Sky will be the driver behind it. (No predictions on when at this time.) 

10 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Done some snooping on the interwebs about this. I've seen the whole gamut:

- Idaho's gone, NMSU stays
- Idaho and NMSU gone
- Idaho and NMSU both stay
- SBC commish retiring
- scheduling alliance (because today was the day they were supposed to release future conference schedules -- that's been moved back)
- conference championship game (under recently changed rules, which would also affect conf scheduling)

And the correct answer (unsurprisingly) is ... 

Mike Prater's (Idaho Statesman reporter) take (via Twitter) on how well U of Idaho made their case to the Sun Belt recently:

Vandals had tough hill in fight vs. Sun Belt but Spear's finger pointing and Staben's presentation w/out substance sealed their fate.

Not good when the local beat reporter says the presentation was without substance. Like Volley said: it's like Idaho isn't even trying. 

Just now, SWSiouxMN said:

So how long until the inevitable happens (Idaho Football back to the Sky?)

And what of NMSU? What is of their fate?

Idaho has until like May 4th or something to accept their Big Sky invite. No idea on NMSU

29 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Mike Prater's (Idaho Statesman reporter) take (via Twitter) on how well U of Idaho made their case to the Sun Belt recently:

Not good when the local beat reporter says the presentation was without substance. Like Volley said: it's like Idaho isn't even trying. 

Turns out, the CFP earns each G5 conference $10 million, plus incentives that work out an average to $2 mill per G5 conference.

So it's in the Sun Belts best interest to stay at ten teams, thereby maximizing income.  If the stayed at 12, it's less money for everybody.  CUSA might be hurting now as it has 14 teams.

The conference payout used to be $1 million per conference member. The new CFP deal made it a flat $10 million per G5 conference. Pretty easy math for the SBC:

- dump Idaho and NMSU to go to 10 members ($1 million per instead of 1/12 of $10 million)
- stay at 10 to be able to hold a conference championship game (TV money) under the new rules

It's a fiscal win-win. 

7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The conference payout used to be $1 million per conference member. The new CFP deal made it a flat $10 million per G5 conference. Pretty easy math for the SBC:

- dump Idaho and NMSU to go to 10 members ($1 million per instead of 1/12 of $10 million)
- stay at 10 to be able to hold a conference championship game (TV money) under the new rules

It's a fiscal win-win. 

And save your members super long flights to Idaho.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/college/university-of-idaho/article63354392.html

The Vandals spent the 2013 season as an independent program after the collapse of the Western Athletic Conference. Speaking to the Idaho Statesman in January, Staben said going independent again “doesn’t look attractive to me.” 

Idaho’s most likely option is a return to the Big Sky Conference, where it played from 1965 to 1995. However, that means dropping down from the Football Bowl Subdivision to the Football Championship Subdivision, a move that has never happened in college football.

• Upvote 1