SiouxSports.com Forum

Ice Breaker Tourney

AZSIOUX

It's the second game of the season and we have people ready to fire Hakstol and send Dell down the River. Just for the record neither goalie tonight looked very good, it could have been worse if Dell hadn't made a few big stops as well. When Eidsness came in the game he looked shaky too.

Eidsness still flops around too much where Dell stays more square to the puck. I think we are 0-4 in the last 4 against Maine so I swear something must change against these hockey east schools. Anyone know why Dell is listed at 209 pounds on the roster? That seems pretty heavy for a goalie who is not that tall.

I seem to remember UND throttling an opponent on the road last year by 5 goals...on the night they opened up their brand spanking new arena. A few months later, that opponent was winning the national title.

It's two games into the season. We knew we'd have early season struggles given all the players that graduated and left early.

As long as this team makes it into the NCAA tourney and develops a bit along the way...I like their chances as well as any. But we're going to take some lumps along the way, especially in the first half.

• Upvote 1

You can take history as you want to but UND hasn't fared well vs. the East teams under Hak...especially BC. Next week's series vs. Maine will be interesting to watch. Just got throttled by BC and Maine coming to town after last year's beatdown in their barn. Every team from every school is different every year talent and line-up-wise...coaching adjustments to the style of play of the competition does matter. I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

Only good thing about the Sioux losing to BC last night was that I got to meet and shake hands with future hall of famer Chris Chelios. Talk about a face that has been through some battles. Good thing he didn't break my hand from his hand shake.

Back in 1982, when he played for the Badgers, the UND student section told him he had a face only a mother could love, and even then only after a couple beers.

Does anyone remember what Trupp, Frattin, Malone, Hextall, LaPoint, and Marto, looked like in game 2 of their freshman years? Hell, you couldn't find Frattin with a search light until his Junior season. R-E-L-A-X This team will be better as the season goes along.

Would everyone on this board rather UND scheduled Maine in the early season or Sacred Heart like some other loser schools do? I would rather the Sioux play quality opponents for non-conference.

Does anyone remember what Trupp, Frattin, Malone, Hextall, LaPoint, and Marto, looked like in game 2 of their freshman years? Hell, you couldn't find Frattin with a search light until his Junior season. R-E-L-A-X This team will be better as the season goes along.

Would everyone on this board rather UND scheduled Maine in the early season or Sacred Heart like some other loser schools do? I would rather the Sioux play quality opponents for non-conference.

Agreed. We lost a lot of talent and experience from last year's team, and HE teams usually have both. It's only October, for chrissakes. Relax, step back from the ledge and let this team gel.

Hey, there is a pattern here. It is not freshman vs freshman. It is style vs style. Hak cannot adjust to the game. He has played BC enough to know what they will bring to the party. It is the same format that we have seen the last 5 games. Positional hockey, crisp passing, situational awareness. Hak just has not got it. He is a good coach, he just cannot adapt to playing this type of team. Did you watch the BC passing? Reminds me of the days the USSR took apart the US and others in the Olympics. BC has talent, UND has talent, but UND continues to rely on intimidation to win the game. Crisp passes and positional play have beaten UND every time against BC. Duh? How long do we not learn to handle this?

Agreed very much. Give these young kids some time. I mean even last year Maine throttled the Sioux early in the year, and Maine didn't even make the postseason. If you would have told me the Sioux would go 1-1 this weekend I would have taken it.

I think this next week is all about the veterans on the team. The defensive corps needs to be better. Starting with the Blood and Forbort combination. Dell or Eidsness need to give the team quality goaltending. And if they are still together, the Kristo-Knight-Nelson line needs to score at least four goals.

I love our coaching staff to death. They've struggled a bit against Hockey East, but I love what they've done with some under talented teams. They always find a way to prove me wrong, and they always push the right buttons to get the team into the postseason or into the final five. Last year's team isn't walking through that door. This group has a helluva long ways to go, but they also have until March to get there. Its funny how little credit these guys get when the team is winning, and how much hell they catch when the team is underperforming.

The Ralph better be full and rocking tonight for the BC game - I'm astonished at the pathetic turnout on Friday. Worst crowd in 6 years for a Sioux game! C'mon people, it's hockey season, most of us have been waiting all summer for this. Had I known it was that easy to get tickets I would've made the trip up from Kansas City.

Maybe people are getting sick of going to watch a team that just chokes every spring anyways?

The Ralph better be full and rocking tonight for the BC game - I'm astonished at the pathetic turnout on Friday. Worst crowd in 6 years for a Sioux game! C'mon people, it's hockey season, most of us have been waiting all summer for this. Had I known it was that easy to get tickets I would've made the trip up from Kansas City.

This didn't come with the season ticket package and that had something to do with it. I still bought extra tickets for it and I was very surprised by all the empty seats last night especially with BC in town. Who knows the next time they will be at the Ralph.

Agreed very much. Give these young kids some time. I mean even last year Maine throttled the Sioux early in the year, and Maine didn't even make the postseason. If you would have told me the Sioux would go 1-1 this weekend I would have taken it.

I think this next week is all about the veterans on the team. The defensive corps needs to be better. Starting with the Blood and Forbort combination. Dell or Eidsness need to give the team quality goaltending. And if they are still together, the Kristo-Knight-Nelson line needs to score at least four goals.

I love our coaching staff to death. They've struggled a bit against Hockey East, but I love what they've done with some under talented teams. They always find a way to prove me wrong, and they always push the right buttons to get the team into the postseason or into the final five. Last year's team isn't walking through that door. This group has a helluva long ways to go, but they also have until March to get there. Its funny how little credit these guys get when the team is winning, and how much hell they catch when the team is underperforming.

There are lots of reasons why people are letting getting beat in the second game of the season throw them

Boston College is the living symbol of Hak not being able to get his teams over the hump. Every time we play them we think that maybe this is the time we've figured it out and it never is

It's more about just getting beat - it's the total inability to look competitive

Boston College is who we used to be under Blais -

Hak has had some nice teams, however it has been a long time since the last title - when we play BC and look like this that reminds us of that fact

In addition, they came into our house and took it to us

They lost a lot last year too, but aren't making excuses about it

Our veterans didn't look great - I thought defense was going to be our strong suit

Why can't we figure out hockey east?

There are lots of reasons why people are letting getting beat in the second game of the season throw them

Boston College is the living symbol of Hak not being able to get his teams over the hump. Every time we play them we think that maybe this is the time we've figured it out and it never is

It's more about just getting beat - it's the total inability to look competitive

Boston College is who we used to be under Blais -

Hak has had some nice teams, however it has been a long time since the last title - when we play BC and look like this that reminds us of that fact

In addition, they came into our house and took it to us

They lost a lot last year too, but aren't making excuses about it

Our veterans didn't look great - I thought defense was going to be our strong suit

Why can't we figure out hockey east?

For some reason we are making a tradition of getting throttled by Hockey East teams, it wouldn't be a sioux season without it happening.

Amen

For some reason we are making a tradition of getting throttled by Hockey East teams, it wouldn't be a sioux season without it happening.

Like Brian Idalski said the other day, "no one has won a National Championship in October."

Also, I think it's funny that we have people calling for Dave Hakstol's head one week into the season.

Maybe go watch the Gofers then...their season is usually over the first week of March.

Everyone here likes to rip on the Gophers like we've done something that they haven't. Last time I checked they've won it TWICE in the last decade compared to ZILCH for our Sioux.

Oh wait though...we've went to the FF a lot and CHOKED each time we have. Yeah that's something to hang our hat on over the Gophers!!

Just "making" the tournament or FF is not a win for most fans. You clowns who like to cling to moral victories can have the measley McNaughtons and Broadmoors. Some of us expect NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS from this program, and unfortunately the regime since Hakstol has taken over has failed to deliver anything but heimlich manuevers every April.

And then there are the genius's saying, "people are really wanting to fire Hak after 1 game?", yeah that's it....nothing to do with the last decade of CHOKING against Hockey East and CHOKING in the big spots. Nah, that's not it at all, we just want him fired for losing in the first week of the year. :silly:

• Upvote 2

Everyone here likes to rip on the Gophers like we've done something that they haven't. Last time I checked they've won it TWICE in the last decade compared to ZILCH for our Sioux.

Oh wait though...we've went to the FF a lot and CHOKED each time we have. Yeah that's something to hang our hat on over the Gophers!!

Just "making" the tournament or FF is not a win for most fans. You clowns who like to cling to moral victories can have the measley McNaughtons and Broadmoors. Some of us expect NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS from this program, and unfortunately the regime since Hakstol has taken over has failed to deliver anything but heimlich manuevers every April.

And then there are the genius's saying, "people are really wanting to fire Hak after 1 game?", yeah that's it....nothing to do with the last decade of CHOKING against Hockey East and CHOKING in the big spots. Nah, that's not it at all, we just want him fired for losing in the first week of the year. :silly:

Who is out there that would be better? When Blais was here last he said that Hak was the best coach in college hockey. He's a pretty darn good coach and will get a title at some point. Relax.

The Sioux have a bunch of kids who've just had illustrated to them how difficult college hockey is. And how much faster, and more physical it is than junior hockey.

The team needs to take a deep breath and regroup. They need to work really hard on their defensive responsibilities in front of their own goal.

The missed passes are just timing; that will get better on its own.

Be interesting to see how many Maine skaters are left untouched between the dots Friday.

Like Brian Idalski said the other day, "no one has won a National Championship in October."

Also, I think it's funny that we have people calling for Dave Hakstol's head one week into the season.

I agree with both statements, I was just making an observation. During Hak's tenure it has been normal for us to struggle against Hockey East teams (a.k.a. BC), and it is baffling that such a good coaching staff doesn't learn from past experiences no matter what kind of team we have on the ice.

• Upvote 1