SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

I for one wouldn't want a coach that was proud of a defense and thought they played well after giving up 300 yards to a running back like Mussman said after the game. It sounds like your color guy on the radio is big into moral victories just like your HC. Lots of one play here or one play there type of talk. But I have to hand it to UND, NOBODY plays harder.

The color guy is paid to be supportive of the team. Not sure what you're trying to say with your comment about nobody playing harder than und.

jesus we massively outperformed expectations and people are freaking out? The D gave up some big plays, but they made the ones that mattered down the stretch. I know people like the underclassmen receivers, but losing hardin after this year is gonna be tough. Without him I think we get smoked yesterday.

• Upvote 1

O blow it up your ass. A well coached team doesn't give up and those kids didn't stop until the clock read 0:00. The players figured it out in the late 3rd quarter. The coaches put them in position to succeed all game and near the end they started making the plays. This thread is a joke and you guys should be ashamed for this type of talk two games into the season.

We lost, we didn't get blown out but it sure shows we need a couple more years of weightlifting for our lines to catch up and another year or two of DI recruiting. The coach doesn't:

Fumble so it goes from third and short to a turnover deep in our territory

Throw interceptions

Drop passes

Hit guys out of bounds

Miss the fact that SDSU had the clock run out before they put the ball in play (late in the fourth) So SDSU goes from what should have been third and long from inside the 10 to first and 20 from the 25 (how does a ref miss that - it was about 2 seconds late - that was a game changer and the guys from SDSU sitting beside me agreed.)

jesus we massively outperformed expectations and people are freaking out?

Outperformed expectations?? What game did you watch? We lost and to top it off: 300 yard allowed on the ground, 10 penalties, 35 points given up and 3 TOs.

This is how people have be Muss-tified over the past few years. Outperformed expections?!?!?! Really...is the bar officially laying on the ground??

Rumor has it players were issued participation ribbons and Ring Pops after the game for "outperforming expectations" by coaching staff.

Goodness...

• Upvote 3

Couldn't agree more - time to actually win some

Hopefully in October...

Both MT school are going to be as good if not better than SDSU.

To win at this level against quality teams you have to be disciplined, avoid TOs, stop the run and run the ball. These things have not been shown to be traits of a Muss lead team.

BTW Zenner has never rushed for more than 50 yards in any game vs. SU.

Watching last night reminded me of a Big 10 vs WAC game 20-25 years ago.

Oh...and one more thing, Zenner ran the ball 37 times and at least 25 of those carries were the SAME PLAY!!! This was ND HS 1A FB play calling with a team saying we'll keep running this play til you stop it. Was shocking to watch...over and over and....

Well, I would opine here, but every time I do that I have people questioning my loyalty to the school and the athletic department. I do think that a 7-4 finish would indicate that the program is progressing. I think anything less is going to make that head coaching seat a little warmer for Mussman.

7-4 would mean A) a win vs a MT school or EWU or B) running table after EWU if we sit 2-4 and going undefeated on the road.

Possible...yes.

Here are some hard to swallow facts, UND Football will never be what it once was, Hockey has overtaken Grand Forks and will never relinquish it's grip. The program should have stayed at the DII level where we had success, there is no way that we can compete with the team to the south. We are kidding ourselves if we think we can. I also agree it is time to fire Mussman, his excuses are getting old.

Here are some hard to swallow facts, UND Football will never be what it once was, Hockey has overtaken Grand Forks and will never relinquish it's grip. The program should have stayed at the DII level where we had success, there is no way that we can compete with the team to the south. We are kidding ourselves if we think we can. I also agree it is time to fire Mussman, his excuses are getting old.

Since this entire post is a quitters mentality, quit following the football program, watch hockey and follow the team to the south............ if it can "never" happen

I think that's called an opinion.

• Upvote 2

Great first post by the way. How'd the d2 look at the dome yesterday.

• Upvote 3

You could have written this in the 1980's. Things changed dramatically in the 1990's, didn't they? And this whole erroneous idea that if hockey is great, everything else has to be mediocre has got to die. We are Division I in everything now, so we have to start holding all our programs to the same level of excellence. Anything less is not worth wasting our time and money on.

Stay on bisonville where your posts belong.

The ONLY statement I agree with if we have less than 7 wins and don't make the playoffs. The other crap you said doesn't make sense, and it wasn't long ago that team from the south was 3-8 and a bottom feeder of the MVFC. All it takes is decent coaches (Roger Thomas found that out with Lennon and Bubba) and a great recruiting class (which RT put together to get UND a NC in 2001). UND hasn't won a hockey title since 2000 so its not like we were at the Gino level of the 80's (3 titles in that decade alone). And according to the alltime series dating back to 1894 we can compete with the team to the south, you think NDSU is going to be almost perfect every season and win NC every year?? Sorry it doesn't work that way.

• Upvote 2

Outperformed expectations?? What game did you watch? We lost and to top it off: 300 yard allowed on the ground, 10 penalties, 35 points given up and 3 TOs.

This is how people have be Muss-tified over the past few years. Outperformed expections?!?!?! Really...is the bar officially laying on the ground??

Rumor has it players were issued participation ribbons and Ring Pops after the game for "outperforming expectations" by coaching staff.

Goodness...

You ask what game did mg watch... The Bison game of course. Love how he "follows both teams", though. Yeah, ok, then.

I for one wouldn't want a coach that was proud of a defense and thought they played well after giving up 300 yards to a running back like Mussman said after the game. It sounds like your color guy on the radio is big into moral victories just like your HC. Lots of one play here or one play there type of talk. But I have to hand it to UND, NOBODY plays harder.

why are you listening to UND games on the radio? Wasn't there a celly in Fargo for taking down the mighty Bulldogs?

Just to add some level headedness to this post game talk. Imagine before the game I ask if we have 3 turnovers 10 penalties for 100+ yards and Zenner goes for about 300 yards what do you think the score would be? Would anyone including myself have guessed we only lose by 7?

Hell no. Just think about what our young team is capable of. If the line can get it together and if we play some RBs other than Miller our offense can roll anyone. The defense that played in the second half was intense and desperate for every stop. If they play like that consistently, which they should, we will win alot of games.

We're 1-1 and have 5 more home games that we just proved are winnable. That's something to be excited about.

• Upvote 2

Just to add some level headedness to this post game talk. Imagine before the game I ask if we have 3 turnovers 10 penalties for 100+ yards and Zenner goes for about 300 yards what do you think the score would be? Would anyone including myself have guessed we only lose by 7?

Hell no. Just think about what our young team is capable of. If the line can get it together and if we play some RBs other than Miller our offense can roll anyone. The defense that played in the second half was intense and desperate for every stop. If they play like that consistently, which they should, we will win alot of games.

We're 1-1 and have 5 more home games that we just proved are winnable. That's something to be excited about.

They are proved winnable if we would have beaten SDSU...beating Valpo proves we can be tops in the PFL.

They are proved winnable if we would have beaten SDSU...beating Valpo proves we can be tops in the PFL.

You are really ornery after this one. Maybe you should temper your over the top enthusiasm and also step away from the ledge when things don't work out. We lost the game. The team will use it as motivation and take away multiple coaching lessons from it and be better as a result. The football team will move on to the next game today. I suggest you do the same.

• Upvote 4

You are really ornery after this one. Maybe you should temper your over the top enthusiasm and also step away from the ledge when things don't work out. We lost the game. The team will use it as motivation and take away multiple coaching lessons from it and be better as a result. The football team will move on to the next game today. I suggest you do the same.

You must be in love with Muss's coaching or something. I predict UND will lose to Montana, crowd won't be as big (maybe more Montana fans than SDSU fans), but we don't have Braden Hanson to throw for 600 yards, and our running is crap, on defense...see 2012. We also have Montana State and EWU. If UND can't improve on defense which this game proves the same problems we had last year they can't UND will be 2 (I predict a win over ISU) and 4.

• Upvote 3

You must be in love with Muss's coaching or something. I predict UND will lose to Montana, crowd won't be as big (maybe more Montana fans than SDSU fans), but we don't have Braden Hanson to throw for 600 yards, and our running is crap, on defense...see 2012. We also have Montana State and EWU. If UND can't improve on defense which this game proves the same problems we had last year they can't UND will be 2 (I predict a win over ISU) and 4.

We did not play well defensively but I believe there is a big difference from last year: They have a back bone. They have some fight and didn't quit. Last year we were not able to get a stop when we really needed it...we just couldn't do it. Last night they showed that they can get a stop when needed. We really need to shore some things up but we also had three turnovers...that can't happen and it puts the D in a tough spot.

• Upvote 2

I'm not in love with Mussman. I did, however, actually notice the improvements made as the game went on last night. We killed them late in the game and the defense work up. Kotelnicki was blitzing alot and we were very very close on some of their big plays to getting a big sack or tfl. The players need to finish those plays. I'm not worried about Mussman, Kotelnicki, Scheusner, Boyd, and Nurse. Those guys are great coaches. The new oline coach Cunningham has some work to do as does Myers. Schwenzfeier needs to play more than one back. The season is young and there is alot of coaching up to be done. Last night the coaches put the players in position to win and they didn't execute until the late 3rd quarter. Things appeared to click last night late in the game. It's up to everyone in the program to build on that.

We did not play well defensively but I believe there is a big difference from last year: They have a back bone. They have some fight and didn't quit. Last year we were not able to get a stop when we really needed it...we just couldn't do it. Last night they showed that they can get a stop when needed. We really need to shore some things up but we also had three turnovers...that can't happen and it puts the D in a tough spot.

The short field SDSU got on that fumble was tough.