SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

And there will continue to be national stories of how racist UND is when young people from other cities and schools wear Siouxperdrunk shirts out boozing.....

So if UND goes with "Pride" and the predictable slurs and chants get lobbed at the team during away games, can we blame the nickname again and demand a change? Or do Bison and Gopher fans chanting things make North Dakota fans racist and intolerant?

So if UND goes with "Pride" and the predictable slurs and chants get lobbed at the team during away games, can we blame the nickname again and demand a change? Or do Bison and Gopher fans chanting things make North Dakota fans racist and intolerant?

If UND goes with Pride, I would find it fairly hard not to join the chants. I'll still cheer for the team, but how can you blame and opposition for not spiking the ball when you float it up to them like that.

I get what you are saying, but in this day and age when you are adopting a new nickname, you would like to think a committee of educated indivuals would do better than Spirit, Pride, Blaze, Force, Sun Dogs, Etc.

Remember... these same educated individuals brought forward Bison Slayers and Wholly Mammoths for further consideration.  Whoever voted "yea" on either of those should have been voted off the committee immediately. 

• Upvote 1

Remember... these same educated individuals brought forward Bison Slayers and Wholly Mammoths for further consideration.  Whoever voted "yea" on either of those should have been voted off the committee immediately. 

Yeah, but there are actually people out there that like those names (not saying I'm one of them) and were disappointed to see them eliminated. You see, opinions are like (insert body part here); everybody's got one -- even bad ones.

Interesting on the forum poll. I also notice Sundogs is really high which leads me to believe bison fans are voting for some of those unpopular names. They also don't show the total number of votes which makes it tough to get a read. The committee needs to realize because this vote is open to everyone (big mistake) the dumbest name will be voted on by NDSU fans and others. That means they should probably get a good pulse on what UND fans actually want so there are no bad choices on the final vote.

Interesting on the forum poll. I also notice Sundogs is really high which leads me to believe bison fans are voting for some of those unpopular names. They also don't show the total number of votes which makes it tough to get a read. The committee needs to realize because this vote is open to everyone (big mistake) the dumbest name will be voted on by NDSU fans and others. That means they should probably get a good pulse on what UND fans actually want so there are no bad choices on the final vote.

They really need to fix this voting process. Not sure why this hasn't already been addressed.

Teddy Roosevelt liked to shoot down bison.

He adopted North Dakota as the place that taught him how to shoot bison and become a "Roughrider".

That's good enough for me!

Yep....

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/we-huntbuffaloroosevelt.html

And Grizzlies...

http://www.theodore-roosevelt.com/images/research/speeches/trgrizzly.pdf

Probably shot a gopher or two in his day as well. :-)

I will go out on a limb and say this will not be open to everyone.  Yes, it is being called a public vote.  But I believe just saying "public" is becoming a little confusing.... being a public vote does not always mean everyone is eligible to vote.  Just like a general election is a public vote,  you still need to meet certain criteria to vote in your precinct for the people running in your district.   The nickname vote will hopefully be handled similarly with a set of criteria that must be met to be eligible to vote.

An email requesting a reply to the list of nickname finalists, sent to all current students and alumni would suffice in my opinion.  If for some reason the university does not have someone's email address, that person is responsible for contacting the university, proving who they are, and registering their vote. 

I will go out on a limb and say this will not be open to everyone. Yes, it is being called a public vote. But I believe just saying "public" is becoming a little confusing.... being a public vote does not always mean everyone is eligible to vote. Just like a general election is a public vote, you still need to meet certain criteria to vote in your precinct for the people running in your district. The nickname vote will hopefully be handled similarly with a set of criteria that must be met to be eligible to vote.

An email requesting a reply to the list of nickname finalists, sent to all current students and alumni would suffice in my opinion. If for some reason the university does not have someone's email address, that person is responsible for contacting the university, proving who they are, and registering their vote.

I also doubt this vote will be binding...

I guess they are much worse than inspiring names such as Hawkeyes, Spartans, Gophers, Cornhuskers, Wildcats, Badgers, Ducks, Aggies, Falcons, Broncos, Bulldogs, Rams, Cowboys, etc, etc, etc.

All of those are on the same level as the majority of the finalist list.  The difference is, they are in place and people have acclimated to them.  The same thing will happen at UND.  There wasn't going to be some magical nickname that everyone looked at and said "Yep, that's it" so I'm not sure why people are surprised that there is unrest with the finalists.  It's a nickname.  The sports teams will continue to strive to make the University of North Dakota proud regardless of whatever new nickname and logo happens to be chosen and rational, level-headed people will still support them the same. 

As long as it isn't chosen by a bunch of overbearing PC libtards. 

I would rather have no identity, that be the UND Pride/Spirit/Blaze/SunDogs.

Perfect examples. Can't get much more wimpy than those.