SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Exactly. And also, people bought lifetime supplies of Sioux gear near the end, so it's understandable sales would be down.

I bought enough Sioux gear to last for yesrs. But, I'll buy the new nickname gear also. I won't waste $$$ on stuff that just says North Dakota.

The 'ND' logo isn't changing. It has only changed fonts over the years and isn't going anywhere. Not quite sure what you are talking about.

On my phone so I can't multi quote, you and others keep saying sales are down because it says just North Dakota. Or as you said they can "make money again" if they get away from no nickname.

"Cooling off period can be extended". LOL. I think we are all ice cold by now.

'North Dakota' is not marketable, as merchandise sales have shown. Solely using Notre Dame's logo for our marketing/merchandising is a great way to insure we keep our revenues down.

The "ND" logo will always be around, just as it has always been around before. But using it by itself has proven to be "meh".

This one also says sales are bad " as they have shown"

My god, stop saying this!

The reason sales have been down since the nickname stuff ran out is because no one wants to buy something that is changing soon again! I'm NOT in marketing and yet I'm smart enough to know this!

Maybe, just maybe, the generic merchandise is bland, uninspired shite.  And perhaps that is why nobody is buying it?

As others have pointed out, the interlocking ND and "North Dakota" aren't exactly going away, so there's no reason not to buy merchandise now, IF there was something worth buying.

• Upvote 2

Maybe, just maybe, the generic merchandise is bland, uninspired shite. And perhaps that is why nobody is buying it?

As others have pointed out, the interlocking ND and "North Dakota" aren't exactly going away, so there's no reason not to buy merchandise now, IF there was something worth buying.

You can think that, everyone knows there is something new coming, why buy this, for the time being merchandize? Common sense!

Who said the ND stuff was going anywhere? I sure didn't! When we get a new nickname we will know that that "isn't going anywhere" either, does that mean sales will be poor?

It's sure interesting reading all the differing opinions....

On one hand, if you prefer to go forward with no nickname, you are accused of holding UND back, as purported millions of nickname merchandise revenue will be left on the table, as people from all corners of the globe who had previously never heard of UND will suddenly purchase shirts that say UND Sundogs on them. 

Not to mention the loss of revenue from rich folks with no UND affiliation who might channel surf one evening and stumble upon a Traditional Circle of Sticks and see that Sundog logo and say to themselves, that nickname is cool!  I gotta donate copious amounts of money to that school! 

And last but not least, when large research grants are being doled out to Universities, the deciding factor of who gets the grant and who doesn't, will inevitably come down to how cool the nicknames are of the top three finalist Universities.

Yet some of the people accusing the no nickname crowd of holding UND back, are readily admitting they won't buy "Shiite" that "just says UND" on it. 

Interesting indeed.

• Upvote 1

You can think that, everyone knows there is something new coming, why buy this, for the time being merchandize? Common sense!

Who said the ND stuff was going anywhere? I sure didn't! When we get a new nickname we will know that that "isn't going anywhere" either, does that mean sales will be poor?

I think you're confused.  You admit to knowing nothing about marketing yet criticized a poster for suggesting that there was a correlation between 'multiple marketing options' and increased merchandise sales.  You suggested that the reason why nobody was buying was that nobody wanted to buy something that was going to change again.  I simply pointed out there was another hypothesis for low sales of generic merchandise -- lack of quality options.  And nothing is going to 'change'…except the availability of newly branded goods.

I think you're confused. You admit to knowing nothing about marketing yet criticized a poster for suggesting that there was a correlation between 'multiple marketing options' and increased merchandise sales. You suggested that the reason why nobody was buying was that nobody wanted to buy something that was going to change again. I simply pointed out there was another hypothesis for low sales of generic merchandise -- lack of quality options. And nothing is going to 'change'…except the availability of newly branded goods.

Read siouxphan27's post above your post of....big word toilet paper writings! He says it better than I can. There is definitely some confusion, but you are confused with who is confused. ?

This has been said before, but how do you pick a nickname without a logo design too? The Sioux logo vastly improved that nickname. A logo tremendously effects the nicknames merit.

How does oneportray a Nodak? With a horse, a person, a blizzard, a redneck, what?

Some of ths names for all practical purposes can't be portrayed without yellow, like SunDog, Blaze, North Stars. Do we have to change our colors too, and be more like NDSUs putrid combination of piss yellow and grossest green?

If uniqueness matter, Explorers is already taken by a DI school, LaSalle.

Should have posted in the final 15 forum.

This has been said before, but how do you pick a nickname without a logo design too? The Sioux logo vastly improved that nickname. A logo tremendously effects the nicknames merit.

How does oneportray a Nodak? With a horse, a person, a blizzard, a redneck, what?

Some of ths names for all practical purposes can't be portrayed without yellow, like SunDog, Blaze, North Stars. Do we have to change our colors too, and be more like NDSUs putrid combination of piss yellow and grossest green?

Why would you need yellow for North Stars?

Why would you need yellow for North Stars?

I'm guessing mainly a star is bright and iirc made up of gases similar to the sun (I just remembered the sun is a star). Sure you can have green stars and sun's.

Red Hawks

Green Hawks

Black Hawks

Blue stars

Black stars

Purple stars

Any things possible.

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing mainly a star is bright and iirc made up of gases similar to the sun (I just remembered the sun is a star). Sure you can have green stars and sun's.

Red Hawks

Green Hawks

Black Hawks

Blue stars

Black stars

Purple stars

Any things possible.

Dallas Stars, Lincoln stars....neither of which have the color yellow. I was just curious about your statement, your were stating it as fact that we would have to change our school colors and you were a tad off course. We pretty much have the same colors as the Dallas Stars. The remainder of your previous post made little sense.

I've made the case for a few nicknames already but I'm hitching my final wagon to rough riders. Our state flag is unadulterated plagerism of the Rough rider flag. It's not their fault their horses were left. That failure lives above and beyond their control. Teddy Roosevelt may not be ND's son, but he's our nephew then. He is often quoted that he wouldn't have been President without his time in ND, but I've been more moved by when he said North Dakota was a great romance of his life in his memoirs. He was a deputy in North Dakota. There was talk he would have been our first senator. He was involved in the community when he was here. He's connection with the state isn't fleeting.

That doesn't even speak to the unit. It took a fortified hill from an enemy over open ground.

Well said, I hope this is the final choice, but I expect to watch inflated condoms to float across a few rinks.

How many colors are there in the retired Sioux logo? If you just looked at that logo would you be able to tell what UND's school colors are? There are plenty of professionals out there that will be able to create great logos whether i'ts a horse, a person or a weather pattern and use the school colors (with others complementing them). As far as Explorers if only one other school has it then I feel that is pretty unique - especially with the connection to Lewis and Clark that North Dakota has (not saying that is my first choice but I could live with it). If your mind isn't open then you won't like it no matter what.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dallas Stars, Lincoln stars....neither of which have the color yellow. I was just curious about your statement, your were stating it as fact that we would have to change our school colors and you were a tad off course. We pretty much have the same colors as the Dallas Stars. The remainder of your previous post made little sense.

Ever heard that song "wasn't me."

They have to know if Roughriders is on the finals for vote, it wins in a landslide.

So do they purposely leave it off?

Seems like they want a hawk, spirit or force, and that leaves only one slot left: North Stars?

I, personally, hate Roughriders but I fear everyone will have to use this to play defense to prevent spirit or sundogs.  Hell of a way to run a railroad.

The

The Dallas Stars shifted from green/yellow to green/silver. We don't have silver.

http://stars.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=672977

It's sure interesting reading all the differing opinions....

On one hand, if you prefer to go forward with no nickname, you are accused of holding UND back, as purported millions of nickname merchandise revenue will be left on the table, as people from all corners of the globe who had previously never heard of UND will suddenly purchase shirts that say UND Sundogs on them. 

Not to mention the loss of revenue from rich folks with no UND affiliation who might channel surf one evening and stumble upon a Traditional Circle of Sticks and see that Sundog logo and say to themselves, that nickname is cool!  I gotta donate copious amounts of money to that school! 

And last but not least, when large research grants are being doled out to Universities, the deciding factor of who gets the grant and who doesn't, will inevitably come down to how cool the nicknames are of the top three finalist Universities.

Yet some of the people accusing the no nickname crowd of holding UND back, are readily admitting they won't buy "Shiite" that "just says UND" on it. 

Interesting indeed.

There is a lot more to it than revenue from merchandise and the marketing aspect but to deny that it is without merit is to be purposefully ignorant.  The bigger issue, is that it leaves Fighting Sioux as the de facto nickname.  WDAZ interviewed people on the news last night about the remaining names.  One of the responses they showed was a student saying “I like North Dakota because we're indefinitely the Sioux".  At least she was honest enough to admit why many support having no nickname.  That is what is going to hold the University back more than anything.