SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Getting spoon fed some name with Hawks or Sundogs by some hired "marketing guru," would be wrong. The way I see it now after some thought...North Dakota and Roughriders must be on the final ballot. They can throw in whatever 3rd wheel they want but if it's truly a fan vote those are far and away the most popular from what I have seen and heard. I don't like just North Dakota, but let's be fair and honest. Those are the two most popular of the 15 left by far from what I have seen. Throw in whatever other name you want I think it comes down to Roughriders and North Dakota.

If the final three are Sundogs Spirit and Green Hawks that is wrong. Roughriders and just North Dakota are the most popular......put them on the ballot and let people vote.

Then what is it you are trying to say?

Same thing I said before.

Does it have less meaning if its unofficial state nickname to you.

If you dont like Roughriders as a state nickname. I suggest you write your congressman and have it removed from the list of nicknames (among the states website).

If you don't care fine. We know its not the official. You only get one of those. Every state has an official name. And about five other nicknames.

Getting spoon fed some name with Hawks or Sundogs by some hired "marketing guru," would be wrong. The way I see it now after some thought...North Dakota and Roughriders must be on the final ballot. They can throw in whatever 3rd wheel they want but if it's truly a fan vote those are far and away the most popular from what I have seen and heard. I don't like just North Dakota, but let's be fair and honest. Those are the two most popular of the 15 left by far from what I have seen. Throw in whatever other name you want I think it comes down to Roughriders and North Dakota.

If the final three are Sundogs Spirit and Green Hawks that is wrong. Roughriders and just North Dakota are the most popular......put them on the ballot and let people vote.

Well said.

(Although I dont agree with just ND bit that's a different story).

What do you believe to be the official nickname of the state?  Please be prepared to cite the section of code.  I'm actually curious what it truly is.

The official state nickname is Peace Garden State.

(Pasted directly from Sicatoka's link:)

"...it was formally adopted by the 1957 legislature (North Dakota Century Code (NDCC), Section 39-04-12)"

That's what you get from consultants. 

Miami University Redskins Red Hawks

Dickinson State Savages Blue Hawks

Indiana U of Pennsylvania Indians Crimson Hawks

Chowan University Braves Hawks

Martin Methodist College Indians Red Hawks
Seattle University Chieftains Red Hawks
Southeast Missouri State University Indians Red Hawks

Consultant Template:

1. < insert school name here >< line out Native related name here >< insert primary school color here > Hawks

2. Charge outrageous sum of cash for "market research" and such. 

Market research is one of the most valuable tools in the possession of man.  I think the order goes:  fire, wheel, market research.  And of course that discounts the fact that market research greatly improved the fire and the wheel.

That said, marketing firms typically are terrible at market research.  Marketing and market research are two very different skill sets, but most marketing firms don't acknowledge that because they're chasing money.  Hopefully this consulting firm has a legitimate research firm on their team.

The official state nickname is Peace Garden State.

(Pasted directly from Sicatoka's link:)

"...it was formally adopted by the 1957 legislature (North Dakota Century Code (NDCC), Section 39-04-12)"

Just so you know what you actually cited:

39-04-12. Contents of number plates - Size of letters and numerals on plates - Reflectorized - Tabs or stickers - Additional fee.

1. Number plates must be of metal or other suitable material bearing the name of the state, either in full or by abbreviation, the number of the year, the slogan "Peace Garden State" and a distinctive number for assignment to each vehicle. The distinctive number may be in figures or a combination of figures and letters and must be of a size clearly distinguishable by law enforcement officers and individuals generally. To reduce highway accidents at night all number plates must be legible for a minimum distance of one hundred feet [30.48 meters] to an approaching motorist by day or night with lawful headlight beams and without other illumination. Each plate must be treated with a reflectorized material according to the specifications prescribed by the department. The department shall furnish for each annual registration a year plate, tab, or sticker to designate the year registration. The plate, tab, or sticker must show the registration year for which issued, and is valid only for that year.

2. The department, in its discretion, may provide to an owner of a trailer that is operated, offered for lease, or rented to the public, number plates that are for a period of not more than six consecutive years and which are exempt from the requirements of annual validation evidence. The registration fees for the trailer may be paid for the

entire period for which the plates are issued, or the fee may be paid for the first year of the issue and a corporate surety bond may be filed in the sum the department

determines reasonable and adequate in the circumstances, conditioned that the owner will pay the annual fee at the beginning of each annual registration period. The

department shall transfer to a replacement trailer number plates issued pursuant to this subsection along with any unused registration fees. If the owner has disposed of

the trailer and is not replacing the trailer, upon surrender of the number plates the department shall issue a refund of the registration fees paid for any unused registration year.

3. The department may provide to an owner of a fleet of one hundred or more vehicles number plates that are valid for as many as six consecutive years and that are exempt from the requirements of evidence of annual validation. The registrant shall file with the department a corporate surety bond in an amount the department determines to be reasonable and adequate, and conditioned that the owner will pay the annual fee at the beginning of each annual registration period for which the number plates are valid.

I like to call it the "vague noun" genre of nicknames: Force, Spirit, Wild, Liberty.

Mafia can explain.

I call it the "WNBAization Principle." The Phoenix Mercury, Chicago Sky, Detroit Shock, Seattle Storm, LA Sparks, and my personal favorite, the Atlanta Dream. You know, after Martin Luther King's dream. Nicknames with lots of abstract-ness.

So not quite the same level of legal backing as ladybugs for state insect then.....

Edit:  An agreed-upon, single, official state nickname would be found here: http://www.legis.nd.gov/cencode/t54c02.pdf?20150610141556

...... if it existed.

Which includes this:

54-02-15. Honorary equine.

The Nokota horse, in recognition of the significant role the breed has played in the history of

this state, is designated an honorary equine of North Dakota.

And this:

54-02-07. Theodore Roosevelt rough rider award.

There shall be awarded by the state of North Dakota, in the name of the legislative

assembly and the citizens of this state, an award to be known as the Theodore Roosevelt rough

rider award. The award is the highest recognition by the state of present or former North

Dakotans who have been influenced by this state in achieving national recognition in their fields

of endeavor, thereby reflecting credit and honor upon this state and its citizens. The award is not

for momentary success, but only for genuine achievements of lasting significance. It is the intent

of this section to guard the dignity of the rough rider award for recipients of the past as well as

the future. The award, of a type and design approved by the governor, must be awarded by the

governor upon the concurrence of the secretary of state and the director of the state historical

society. A record of all such awards and pertinent information in regard to each recipient must

be retained by the state archivist.

Continuing to play simply as “North Dakota” is still an option. Goehring said in his experience with the last task force, many alumni were in favor of it.

“They saw it as a way to stay unique, to stay themselves,” he said. “People felt forced by the NCAA, and they feel it’s a way to make a statement that that's who they are as alumni.”

Is it still an option??  What do the boys in Indianapolis think?  Has anyone on the committe (especially the chair) looked into this yet?  Sure its the overwhelming favorite, but that may not matter!! 

NDCC 39-04-12 defines a "slogan" on the state's vehicle license plates. 

NDCC 54-02 defines officially recognized state "emblems, symbols, and awards" ... like 54-02-07 ... the "Theodore Roosevelt rough rider award". 

Which includes this:

54-02-15. Honorary equine.

The Nokota horse, in recognition of the significant role the breed has played in the history of

this state, is designated an honorary equine of North Dakota.

I can't believe the Kuntz brothers convinced some folks in ND to do this...

So not quite the same level of legal backing as ladybugs for state insect then.....

Edit:  An agreed-upon, single, official state nickname would be found here: http://www.legis.nd.gov/cencode/t54c02.pdf?20150610141556

...... if it existed.

The Teredos!

54-02-08. State fossil - Teredo petrified wood.

The teredo petrified wood is the official fossil of the state of North Dakota.

Petrified wood. Wow. North Dakota has an official petrified wood. Would have been nice to know that one when we could submit suggestions to the committee a couple of months (or was it years) ago!

Until BRIDGES finds a Native American appalled by the use of the sacred word "Spirit" and we hop on the nickname merry-go-round all over again.

Um, and what's wrong with that?

We like to think of Roughriders as Teddy. But the main definition of Roughriders is:

a person who breaks in or can ride unbroken horses.

Pretty fitting in North Dakota.

Didn't know that but I agree.  Thanks for posting this info.   I like it.

If Cavalry gets any further consideration the committee members have no qualifications for what they've been tasked to do. Not saying its an intrinsically bad name, but in context its asking for more NA related controversy. I can't believe it made it as far as it has. Likewise Green Hawks would not be such a terrible choice id Miami was not a hockey rival.

I can live with no name, Roughriders, or Nodaks.

If you think 'North Dakota' and "ND" logo are going away after we get a nickname, then you are a f'ing moron. They will be around also, just like that last 50 years. Except now there will be multiple marketing options, just like before. And they might actually make money again.

My god, stop saying this!

The reason sales have been down since the nickname stuff ran out is because no one wants to buy something that is changing soon again! I'm NOT in marketing and yet I'm smart enough to know this!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The reason sales have been down since the nickname stuff ran out is because no one wants to buy something that is changing soon again! I'm NOT in marketing and yet I'm smart enough to know this!

Exactly. And also, people bought lifetime supplies of Sioux gear near the end, so it's understandable sales would be down.

The 'ND' logo isn't changing. It has only changed fonts over the years and isn't going anywhere. Not quite sure what you are talking about.

• Upvote 1