SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Agree with this, but we should also just stay North Dakota because the rest of this list is pure garbage.

There are several reasons that we shouldn't be just "North Dakota.  Notheing new.  Settlement, without a nickname people can still refer to UND as the Fighting Sioux, no name on the list is better, etc, etc, etc.  But when you think about it, having no nickname is just one of the stupidest ideas ever.  People say "Hey, it's unique, we would be the only school without one!!"  Well that's a pretty stupid reason.  there is a reason that every other school out there has a mascot.  It's because it gives an identity to the athletic teams and the school in general.  Going without a nickname is just a dumb idea.  Plain and simple.

The Ben Brien Sioux logo has red, green, yellow, black, white, and brown in it.

Those were accent colors. Any logo could have neutral colors of white and black in it as main colors.

A star can't be a star without yellow, gold, or silver as a main color.

Blaze needs yellow, orange, or red.

Spirit would be hard to represent in a logo. We need to know what the logo is before any voting. That's the point: a logo is essential to pick the best nickname. Blaze or Spirit or NoDak or Force or North Dakota and others: what the logo would be is critical to their prospective nickname usage.

Those were accent colors. Any logo could have neutral colors of white and black in it as main colors.

A star can't be a star without yellow, gold, or silver as a main color.

Blaze needs yellow, orange, or red.

Spirit would be hard to represent in a logo. We need to know what the logo is before any voting. That's the point: a logo is essential to pick the best nickname. Blaze or Spirit or NoDak or Force or North Dakota and others: what the logo would be is critical to their prospective nickname usage.

I'm not trying to argue in favor of those names, as I don't like them, but have you looked at the Sioux logo recently?  Not much green there, mostly brown, black, and white.  I guess I wouldn't have a problem with a primarily silver star (I wouldn't have a problem with the color that is, I'd be somewhat disappointed in the name), if that was the choice.

1329119-Nautical-Star-V6.gif

I'm not trying to argue in favor of those names, as I don't like them, but have you looked at the Sioux logo recently? Not much green there, mostly brown, black, and white. I guess I wouldn't have a problem with a primarily silver star (I wouldn't have a problem with the color that is, I'd be somewhat disappointed in the name), if that was the choice.

1329119-Nautical-Star-V6.gif

So brown, black, and white are neutral colors. Red and yellow are accent colors in the Sioux logo. That doesn't change the points I'm making. Some of the nickname choices left need another main color in any logo. A mock up of a logo has to be presented with each nickname choice to make any informed decision about a nickname. How are Spirit or Sun Dog or Pride or Stars adequately represented without another main color other than green, black, white or brown?

So brown, black, and white are neutral colors. Red and yellow are accent colors in the Sioux logo. That doesn't change the points I'm making. Some of the nickname choices left need another main color in any logo. A mock up of a logo has to be presented with each nickname choice to make any informed decision about a nickname. How are Spirit or Sun Dog or Pride or Stars adequately represented without another main color other than green, black, white or brown?

I just showed you a green and white star.  Looks fine.  Those other names are so bad I'm not going to spend any time trying to find a workable logo for them.

There are several reasons that we shouldn't be just "North Dakota.  Notheing new.  Settlement, without a nickname people can still refer to UND as the Fighting Sioux, no name on the list is better, etc, etc, etc.  But when you think about it, having no nickname is just one of the stupidest ideas ever.  People say "Hey, it's unique, we would be the only school without one!!"  Well that's a pretty stupid reason.  there is a reason that every other school out there has a mascot.  It's because it gives an identity to the athletic teams and the school in general.  Going without a nickname is just a dumb idea.  Plain and simple.

I would rather have no identity, that be the UND Pride/Spirit/Blaze/SunDogs.

• Upvote 2

I just showed you a green and white star.  Looks fine.  Those other names are so bad I'm not going to spend any time trying to find a workable logo for them.

Actually it looks like an ugly Christmas ornament. That one that just stays in the box every year, because you don't want to hang it up, but you can't throw it away either.

Again, staying North Dakota is not even about keeping an unofficial nickname at this point, it is about not permanently embarassing ourselves with the rest of this trash. If there were better options on this list, I wouldn't argue your point. I though Nokota was a legitimate option [i always preferred just North Dakota], but I could at least understand your point.

North Dakota is actually the best option on this list, which speaks volumes about the list the commitee put out. Again, I understand your point for wanting a new nickname/identity, but these options are just not the solution.

Actually it looks like an ugly Christmas ornament. That one that just stays in the box every year, because you don't want to hang it up, but you can't throw it away either.

Well I would remove the frilly lace around the edges anyway....

Well I would remove the frilly lace around the edges anyway....

Then it would just look like one of those spearment hard candies. The kind you see sitting in a bowl at your grandma's house, with a nice coat of dust on them (probably been there about 6 months). You all know what I'm talking about.

If Cavalry gets any further consideration the committee members have no qualifications for what they've been tasked to do. Not saying its an intrinsically bad name, but in context its asking for more NA related controversy. I can't believe it made it as far as it has. Likewise Green Hawks would not be such a terrible choice id Miami was not a hockey rival.

I can live with no name, Roughriders, or Nodaks.

I'm actually fine if that's an outcome.   1.  Ok, you didn't like Fighting Sioux, and now we can't have Cavalry either?  Are you ever satisfied?  2.  There is a Native American member of the nickname committee.  That voice was not shut out of the process.      Let's fight this one in the court of public opinion.

I'm actually fine if that's an outcome.   1.  Ok, you didn't like Fighting Sioux, and now we can't have Cavalry either?  Are you ever satisfied?  2.  There is a Native American member of the nickname committee.  That voice was not shut out of the process.      Let's fight this one in the court of public opinion.

Agreed. I know my vote is for North Dakota. BUT Roughriders, Cavalry and Nodaks would be acceptable. The rest of these names are just trash.

Again, staying North Dakota is not even about keeping an unofficial nickname at this point, it is about not permanently embarassing ourselves with the rest of this trash. If there were better options on this list, I wouldn't argue your point. I though Nokota was a legitimate option [i always preferred just North Dakota], but I could at least understand your point.

North Dakota is actually the best option on this list, which speaks volumes about the list the commitee put out. Again, I understand your point for wanting a new nickname/identity, but these options are just not the solution.

I guess they are much worse than inspiring names such as Hawkeyes, Spartans, Gophers, Cornhuskers, Wildcats, Badgers, Ducks, Aggies, Falcons, Broncos, Bulldogs, Rams, Cowboys, etc, etc, etc.

All of those are on the same level as the majority of the finalist list.  The difference is, they are in place and people have acclimated to them.  The same thing will happen at UND.  There wasn't going to be some magical nickname that everyone looked at and said "Yep, that's it" so I'm not sure why people are surprised that there is unrest with the finalists.  It's a nickname.  The sports teams will continue to strive to make the University of North Dakota proud regardless of whatever new nickname and logo happens to be chosen and rational, level-headed people will still support them the same. 

• Upvote 4

.  there is a reason that every other school out there has a mascot.  It's because it gives an identity to the athletic teams and the school in general.  Going without a nickname is just a dumb idea.  Plain and simple.

A mascot? You mean like Thunder the Bleacher Creature? Sorry, we have some lovely parting gifts for you.
  • Upvote 1

Staying just "North Dakota" would actually give us the nickname "Green."

"Go Green" would start to be the cheers.

And the Herald will just keep referring to UND as the "Green and White".  Is this what you "Just stay North Dakota" people want?  Because that is exactly what is going to happen.

• Upvote 1

I guess they are much worse than inspiring names such as Hawkeyes, Spartans, Gophers, Cornhuskers, Wildcats, Badgers, Ducks, Aggies, Falcons, Broncos, Bulldogs, Rams, Cowboys, etc, etc, etc.

All of those are on the same level as the majority of the finalist list.  The difference is, they are in place and people have acclimated to them.  The same thing will happen at UND.  There wasn't going to be some magical nickname that everyone looked at and said "Yep, that's it" so I'm not sure why people are surprised that there is unrest with the finalists.  It's a nickname.  The sports teams will continue to strive to make the University of North Dakota proud regardless of whatever new nickname and logo happens to be chosen and rational, level-headed people will still support them the same. 

I get what you are saying, but in this day and age when you are adopting a new nickname, you would like to think a committee of educated indivuals would do better than Spirit, Pride, Blaze, Force, Sun Dogs, Etc.

The only names on this list that could even be considered (North Dakota, Nodaks, Roughriders, Cavalry)

Names that could have been in the top 15 that would have been better than the majority of this list: Nokota, Flickertails ... even oilers, jets, aviators (which I never really liked, but are still better than most of this list)

And the Herald will just keep referring to UND as the "Green and White".  Is this what you "Just stay North Dakota" people want?  Because that is exactly what is going to happen.

And there will continue to be national stories of how racist UND is when young people from other cities and schools wear Siouxperdrunk shirts out boozing.....

I don't read the Herald, so sure .... I mean seriously, we have to listed to the argument of marketing and national exposure and then you are going to reference The Herald ... ???