SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

You are absolutely dreaming if you think a white-centric name like "Fighting Norse" will even be remotely considered by do-good academia nuts involved in this whole sham of a process.

I, for one, will be absolutely astounded if the nickname isn't something abstract like Storm, Pride, Spirit, or, worst of all, SunDogs.

Snow Angels?

One of the task force leaders is a marketing firm executive?

So, Mr. O'Keefe is going to bring all sorts of data, saying how UND has to be rebranded sooner than later, in order to bring dollars in from licensing the new name, and selling everything related to it.

Seems odd. Maybe he is impartial, but I havent found many people with stakes in other issues, to be accepting of differing points of view from their own

The survey was so blatantly obviously constructed that the "data" will easily be spun to fit the agenda jigglybits (that's what I call Kelly cause he has no backbone) wants to force down before he sets sail to retire at an all vegan nondenominational nudist camp in the hills outside of berkley.

I assume the nickname Supersonics has some kind of copyright to it, but with the Aerospace department at UND I am wondering if you could use the term Sonic as an adjective to something else Aerospace related and come up with a cool logo.  Not only that, but we could have a Drive-in chain as a sponsor. :D

I assume the nickname Supersonics has some kind of copyright to it, but with the Aerospace department at UND I am wondering if you could use the term Sonic as an adjective to something else Aerospace related and come up with a cool logo.  Not only that, but we could have a Drive-in chain as a sponsor. :D

Sonic implies planes which implies aerospace which implies arrows which were used by Indians, so no.

• Upvote 1

I was there last night and agree, most of the attendees feels it should stay, but at the same time feel some forward thinking and movement is necessary.

I feel the name North Dakota North Stars would fit in as a successor to the Fighting Sioux nickname. It can't offend anyone in any way and relates to our state, North Dakota, as a strong leader in academics, athletics, and geologic location.

We are the Force of the North, the "North Stars"!

Any thought?

Isn't Minnesota the north star state?

• Upvote 1

Isn't Minnesota the north star state?

Yeah, but nobody seems to care about that or even reference it in conversations (except this one).  And I don't think we can avoid the fact that whatever is chosen will have something that somebody doesn't like about it.

North Stars would be a perfect match with our school colors and is pretty non-offensive.  And it's not Sun Dogs! ;)

The state motto of Minnesota is "L'Étoile du Nord" -- the Star of the North. 

FAIL

Two words for you: So What?  How many people even know (or care) about that?  I don't.  And we shouldn't.

Whichever name is chosen will have some undesirable quality to it.  And nothing we choose will compare to what we have lost. :sad:

Imagine a scenario where a child is being told they have a peanut allergy: 

I want my peanut butter.

No, you can't have that any more.  

But I want it.

You can't. 

I want it.

You can't. Nothing good will come of it. Here, try this instead.

No.

What?

No. I'm not eating anything if I can't have my peanut butter. 

You have to eat something.

No I don't. 

You need to eat something. 

If I can't have peanut butter I'm going to have nothing! 

Sound familiar? 

• Upvote 1

And nothing we choose will compare to what we have lost. :sad:

Undoubtedly. Like I said before:

I explained the situation to someone this way once:

We had a Lamborghini. It was awesome. There were a couple Ferrari around, but we had the only Lamborghini. 

Then the DOT said, "No more Lamborghini on the streets." The Ferrari were allowed to stay, along with all the Fords and Chevys. 

Worse? We had nothing to drive for quite a while ... and the Lamborghini was still in the garage, but we can't drive it. 

And I'm worried that even if we get a Jaguar F-Type V8 S it will still feel like a Yugo because the Lamborghini will always be in the garage. 

We can keep wallowing and living in the past or get up and move on. 

• Upvote 1