SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Remember, the politicians on both sides of the aisle need to cater to their special interests...someone probably built a kicker into student loan funding for funding that position.

Also, most lower level administrators in academia don't earn 6 figures.  

I interpreted the original comments not against the academics, but against over administration.

College has changed- it is sooooo expensive, and nobody wants to tell their kid that they can't go to that private school they watch play hoops on TV.

The only way to consider under grad affordable these days is to treat it as a 4 year prep program of self-discovery prior to going to trade school:  Medicine, Law, Business, etc

If you're going to incur six figure student loan debt, the result better be a $200k salary.  Otherwise, you should've honestly skipped college.

You have accused me personally several times of "putting words" in your mouth with respect to your posts but now you want to "read between the lines" with respect to what someone else writes?

The ONLY reason UND has this position is because of some t-shirts.

You honestly believe that Chewey's tirade was all about "that one position" and nothing else?  It was a not-so-thinly veiled slam on college-level public education and the people that work there and I was not going to let it slide without some pushback.  I work on a college campus and I don't know what I am talking about?  Yeah, whatever.  If everyone wants to really believe that college professors, who work just as hard as anyone on here (including myself, btw), are just leeches feeding at the public trough, then so be it.  Just think of where you would be without your American education and that might put it into perspective.  End rant.  Back to complaining about the nickname committee (which I am willing to give a chance to work).

You honestly believe that Chewey's tirade was all about "that one position" and nothing else?  It was a not-so-thinly veiled slam on college-level public education and the people that work there and I was not going to let it slide without some pushback.  I work on a college campus and I don't know what I am talking about?  Yeah, whatever.  If everyone wants to really believe that college professors, who work just as hard as anyone on here (including myself, btw), are just leeches feeding at the public trough, then so be it.  Just think of where you would be without your American education and that might put it into perspective.  End rant.  Back to complaining about the nickname committee (which I am willing to give a chance to work).

The "position" is an example of what is ailing education - cognitive malaise and the 60's generation.  Under the guise of "investing in our future", "concern for the children", "we must compete better globally", "strengthening education", there has been a decades' old infusion of way too much money into academia that has basically created an economic fiefdom for still radicalized and half-baked 60's Vietnam War protestors and their acolytes who still travel in the parlance of "the military industrial complex", "no justice no peace", "equal pay for equal work", "power to the people", etc.  and who would never be able to get jobs in the private sector. If you want proof that this pablum is still recited and if you have taken your anti-nausea medication, take a listen to Sirius XM "Progress" 127.  The point is that the ones who do the educating and the ones who actually maintain the schools and make them work are getting economically shafted.  Given the shrinking pool of money, this will only get worse.  There is a definite schism that has developed between two groups who have previously been politically allied - college administrators and college faculty, maintenance workers, etc.  The juggernaut of economic reality is now doing what politicians failed to do- turn off the money spigot.  Both groups are still trying to stay politically allied to maintain the cash flow but the reality is that professors are getting hired on an adjunct basis only with no benefits, no health insurance, etc.  In many instances, neither faculty nor support workers are seeing raises (not even cost of living adjustments) for 4 or more years.   Universities, especially public ones, are now more cauldrons of "social change" and petri dishes for varying social agendas than bona fide institutions for education.  Now, Vice Presidents (I can't get over offensive irony that such a noble title has when one sees what comes after it) of "Gender Equity", "Inclusion", "Queer (insert insane label here)", "Diversity" are getting the lions share of the $$ instead of the physics, economics, Shakespeare professors.  It's absolute wastefulness.  It's ludicrous.  If someone with such a title got bounced and had to interview for a job in the private sector and actually revealed the title, any prospective employer with laugh his or her hind quarters off.  Taxpayers are not going to continue funding this nonsense and prospective students are seeing that the product being offered is too costly and is of very little value. 

• Upvote 2

Let me ask people this:  how attached are you to SOUND of the name "Sioux"?  If you like the sound of the name, I suggest naming the teams after the Soo Line Railroad.  Maybe something like "Soo Line" or "Soo Liners" which could be shortened to "Soo."  The Soo Line RR runs through the heart of North Dakota, so it definitely is significant to the state.  And, to my surprise, the name "Soo" is not a phonetic for "Sioux," but for "Sault," as in Sault St. Marie.  The logo could be a locomotive on a track.

• Upvote 2

Let me ask people this:  how attached are you to SOUND of the name "Sioux"?  If you like the sound of the name, I suggest naming the teams after the Soo Line Railroad.  Maybe something like "Soo Line" or "Soo Liners" which could be shortened to "Soo."  The Soo Line RR runs through the heart of North Dakota, so it definitely is significant to the state.  And, to my surprise, the name "Soo" is not a phonetic for "Sioux," but for "Sault," as in Sault St. Marie.

I'm sure the PC crowds' heads would explode if Soo was chosen...you may be on to something. :)
  • Upvote 1

Eagles? Cowboys? My God, people, this is what it's come to? These are blandest, most non-creative, let's-be-just-like-everyone-else nicknames possible. Blech. Just Blech.

My suggestion was actually "Bald Eagles" since I'm pretty sure no such team name exists at the moment.

Let me ask people this: how attached are you to SOUND of the name "Sioux"? If you like the sound of the name, I suggest naming the teams after the Soo Line Railroad. Maybe something like "Soo Line" or "Soo Liners" which could be shortened to "Soo." The Soo Line RR runs through the heart of North Dakota, so it definitely is significant to the state. And, to my surprise, the name "Soo" is not a phonetic for "Sioux," but for "Sault," as in Sault St. Marie. The logo could be a locomotive on a track.

Lake Superior State is officially the Lakers but they have unofficially been known as the Soo Lakers for a long time. I really like your Soo Liners idea.

Let me ask people this:  how attached are you to SOUND of the name "Sioux"?  If you like the sound of the name, I suggest naming the teams after the Soo Line Railroad.  Maybe something like "Soo Line" or "Soo Liners" which could be shortened to "Soo."  The Soo Line RR runs through the heart of North Dakota, so it definitely is significant to the state.  And, to my surprise, the name "Soo" is not a phonetic for "Sioux," but for "Sault," as in Sault St. Marie.  The logo could be a locomotive on a track.

This has been brought up before.........I LIKE IT!

I like the discussion but seriously there is no way any leftist/sympathist/protectoroftheweak will allow for any name that even remotely preserves the name FIghting Sioux - not likely they would embrace "Norske" either - hasn't the table been set for UND Spirit, UND Green and White?

• Upvote 1

Lake Superior State is officially the Lakers but they have unofficially been known as the Soo Lakers for a long time. I really like your Soo Liners idea.

It has merit.  But given our history with the NCAA, it would be construed as a thumb in the eye.  Which I don't personally mind, but it wouldn't end well for the University. 

It has merit.  But given our history with the NCAA, it would be construed as a thumb in the eye.  Which I don't personally mind, but it wouldn't end well for the University. 

What could the NCAA do?  "Soo" does not violate any of their nickname policies in place and a train engine logo certainly doesn't either.  Sure it would probably be a shot at the NCAA, but legally there is nothing they could do to UND to punish them.  I am all for it!!  HA!!

The "position" is an example of what is ailing education - cognitive malaise and the 60's generation.  Under the guise of "investing in our future", "concern for the children", "we must compete better globally", "strengthening education", there has been a decades' old infusion of way too much money into academia that has basically created an economic fiefdom for still radicalized and half-baked 60's Vietnam War protestors and their acolytes who still travel in the parlance of "the military industrial complex", "no justice no peace", "equal pay for equal work", "power to the people", etc.  and who would never be able to get jobs in the private sector. If you want proof that this pablum is still recited and if you have taken your anti-nausea medication, take a listen to Sirius XM "Progress" 127.  The point is that the ones who do the educating and the ones who actually maintain the schools and make them work are getting economically shafted.  Given the shrinking pool of money, this will only get worse.  There is a definite schism that has developed between two groups who have previously been politically allied - college administrators and college faculty, maintenance workers, etc.  The juggernaut of economic reality is now doing what politicians failed to do- turn off the money spigot.  Both groups are still trying to stay politically allied to maintain the cash flow but the reality is that professors are getting hired on an adjunct basis only with no benefits, no health insurance, etc.  In many instances, neither faculty nor support workers are seeing raises (not even cost of living adjustments) for 4 or more years.   Universities, especially public ones, are now more cauldrons of "social change" and petri dishes for varying social agendas than bona fide institutions for education.  Now, Vice Presidents (I can't get over offensive irony that such a noble title has when one sees what comes after it) of "Gender Equity", "Inclusion", "Queer (insert insane label here)", "Diversity" are getting the lions share of the $$ instead of the physics, economics, Shakespeare professors.  It's absolute wastefulness.  It's ludicrous.  If someone with such a title got bounced and had to interview for a job in the private sector and actually revealed the title, any prospective employer with laugh his or her hind quarters off.  Taxpayers are not going to continue funding this nonsense and prospective students are seeing that the product being offered is too costly and is of very little value. 

If all you are talking about are these "diversity promotion" jobs, then you have a valid point.  We should focus resources on what students are going to college to learn, not teaching people something they should have learned in kindergarten (treat everyone with respect, be nice to others, etc).  I really hope choosing a new nickname will help put some of this nonsense behind us.

What could the NCAA do?  "Soo" does not violate any of their nickname policies in place and a train engine logo certainly doesn't either.  Sure it would probably be a shot at the NCAA, but legally there is nothing they could do to UND to punish them.  I am all for it!!  HA!!

If history has shown us anything here, the answer is "whatever they damn well want".   

Soo Liners is unique.  I kinda like it.

Going off the "Lakers," I've always thought that as a way to honor the one tribe that gave approval for the Sioux name UND could adopt the nickname "Spirit Lakers."  I'm sure it would be shortened to "Lakers" most of the time, and ND isn't necessarily known for it's abundance of lakes, but then again neither is Los Angeles. 

Soo Liners is unique.  I kinda like it.

Going off the "Lakers," I've always thought that as a way to honor the one tribe that gave approval for the Sioux name UND could adopt the nickname "Spirit Lakers."  I'm sure it would be shortened to "Lakers" most of the time, and ND isn't necessarily known for it's abundance of lakes, but then again neither is Los Angeles. 

Or shortened to "North Dakota Spirit"!!  God help us then!!

There is never going to be a new nickname that people agree on.  The old one was the pinnacle.

At this point I've reverted to simple and bland, because what is the point?!

The gimicky names are just a little too contrived, and will not resonate with the next generation of UND fans.

The spirit and the green and white do not even fit the general description of a nickname.

We could steal a name from rugby...be "the all blacks"

I'd say we could be the crows, but that is also a tribe's name...

I like the idea of a horseshoe logo somehow...