SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

Not when Nebraska was down 24-10 early in the 4th. Actually for Oklahoma 6 out of the 13 was scored in the first half. Sorry...go back to Bisonville and try again.

Thank you that was my point. OK and Nebraska were playing against the first team of TT the entire game, unlike UND which was seeing a rotation from the start which is what they scheduled UND for. To get a win and get others some playing time which builds depth. Why do you right away assume I'm an NDSU guy? (I might have to go to Bisonville to find someone who can understand something that isn't only through Kelly green glasses). I have no real ties to either UND or NDSU. I don't even post over there and only recently posted on here. Just couldn't take any more of the people on here doing the same thing they acuse the other side of doing (yes I know it goes on over there too). As I said in an earlier post, you can still have a rivalry and have respect for the other side (meaning both sides need to take their colored glasses off every once in a while) I'm an out of state individual that has been living in the wonderful state of ND for the last decade and will probably be here for the long haul, at least for the summer :). I follow both schools and want to see both do well which brings postive publicity to the whole state, because contrary to what people here believe once you get two hours + away from the ND boarder very few people know which school is in Fargo and which school is in GF.

Thank you that was my point. OK and Nebraska were playing against the first team of TT the entire game, unlike UND which was seeing a rotation from the start which is what they scheduled UND for. To get a win and get others some playing time which builds depth. Why do you right away assume I'm an NDSU guy? (I might have to go to Bisonville to find someone who can understand something that isn't only through Kelly green glasses). I have no real ties to either UND or NDSU. I don't even post over there and only recently posted on here. Just couldn't take any more of the people on here doing the same thing they acuse the other side of doing (yes I know it goes on over there too). As I said in an earlier post, you can still have a rivalry and have respect for the other side (meaning both sides need to take their colored glasses off every once in a while) I'm an out of state individual that has been living in the wonderful state of ND for the last decade and will probably be here for the long haul, at least for the summer :). I follow both schools and want to see both do well which brings postive publicity to the whole state, because contrary to what people here believe once you get two hours + away from the ND boarder very few people know which school is in Fargo and which school is in GF.

Not that it's a huge deal but you are wrong about this. They were playing their starters until the last series and I know this because I was there. Mike Leach was not happy and kept them in their the entire time based on need - the game was too close for comfort until the very end.

I am sure this was Texas Tech's intentions going into the game......but it didn't work out for them.

This was a good game for UND at the time......however we are moving backwards since then.

Clearly UND has had the better transition in football, they have played much tougher teams with much greater success than NDSU. UND is the clear football powerhouse in the state of ND, you guys won the Nickel in 2003, that is a major deal. It correlates well to 2011 and the on field success the Sioux are accomplishing.

• Downvote 2

Clearly UND has had the better transition in football, they have played much tougher teams with much greater success than NDSU. UND is the clear football powerhouse in the state of ND, you guys won the Nickel in 2003, that is a major deal. It correlates well to 2011 and the on field success the Sioux are accomplishing.

Go away.

Its been that long since NDSU has seen the Nickel....wow, that was a long time ago....

Wondering when you personally last saw the Nickel? If it was recently, mind telling me where it is? No, Im not going to take it, honestly, having that trophy is the only thing that UND's football team has had going for them the past 7-8 years pretty much. ;)

On a more serious note, if the teams meet up in the playoffs, which mathematically should happen at some point, do you guys think they'd pull out the Nickel for old times sake?

The Nickel should stay in Grand Forks after the the ncikname is retired. UND was the last team to win the game and UND also won the overall series between the two schools. The Nickel will stay where it belongs , right in Grand Forks. The NDSU football team had their chance to keep it in Fargo and couldn't get the job done.

• Upvote 1

The Nickel should stay in Grand Forks after the the ncikname is retired. UND was the last team to win the game and UND also won the overall series between the two schools. The Nickel will stay where it belongs , right in Grand Forks. The NDSU football team had their chance to keep it in Fargo and couldn't get the job done.

It should be on display along with the Sitting Bull Trophy in a museum so everyone can see it!

Great...now that you understand, maybe you can go back to your own website and worry about your school. :D I don't understand why Bison fans are constantly coming over here to stir things up. There are a few Sioux fans who visit BVille, me being one of them, but they are fairly respectable for the most part. They aren't over there constantly talking smack as it seems several bison fans like to do here. There are a few decent Bison fans here and I do enjoy reading their posts, but as for the rest of them...meh, just put them on ignore I guess.

So would you guys say the same thing if the trophy was sitting in Fargo?

Miami (OH) was the Redskins until 1997. They still competed against Cincinati for the victory bell. If UND wanted to keep it that is fine. Just seems like if the schools are playing that the trophy should play its own small part in the game. Not like the players need it, but it gives them that little extra motivation to get the job done. Also, it makes it fun for the fans to poke a little fun at the other side, granted, the trophy's time might be over. Its meaning has went down obviously considering its been awhile since the two teams played.

You get dumber every time you post.

So would you guys say the same thing if the trophy was sitting in Fargo?

Miami (OH) was the Redskins until 1997. They still competed against Cincinati for the victory bell. If UND wanted to keep it that is fine. Just seems like if the schools are playing that the trophy should play its own small part in the game. Not like the players need it, but it gives them that little extra motivation to get the job done. Also, it makes it fun for the fans to poke a little fun at the other side, granted, the trophy's time might be over. Its meaning has went down obviously considering its been awhile since the two teams played.

Yeah but is there an Indian head on one side of the bell? (honestly don't know just assume it doesn't otherwise the pc crowd would eat it up)

I say the only way for the Nickel to come out is when NDSU and UND are in the same conference, or GT grows a pair allows for NDSU to play UND every year. So if you look at those situations the Nickel will stay in retirement indefinately.

WOW - How dense are you? Your AD has already said that now that you're in the BSC that UND doesn't want a every year contract. It's time to come to the realization that an every year contract isn't going to happen.

WOW - How dense are you? Your AD has already said that now that you're in the BSC that UND doesn't want a every year contract. It's time to come to the realization that an every year contract isn't going to happen.

We could have had it before but you guys would've rather play Wagner, and St. Francis at home. Your loss, our trophy!!

The best team in NAIA is better than the bottom feeders of I-AA, just as the best I-AA teams are better than the bottom feeders of D1. UND playing Sioux Falls is no different than NDSU playing the likes of Wagner.

Sioux Falls = Wagner

Haaaaaa Haaaaaaaaaa

I guess I don't see why UND fans would not want to keep playing for the Nickel when the teams play again in the regular season. I read a lot about how Sioux fans are going to continue to wear Sioux stuff so wouldn't this keep a small part of your tradition alive? I mean it's a coin with two images on it, last I checked there are still US coins with Native American images on them being used. I don't think the agreement with the NCAA says anything about it, so game on I say. Now if the teams were to play in the post season, then I agree, it stays with the last team that won it in regular season play just like in the DII days. Just my five cents, take it or leave it I guess.

I say the only way for the Nickel to come out is when NDSU and UND are in the same conference, or GT grows a pair allows for NDSU to play UND every year. So if you look at those situations the Nickel will stay in retirement indefinately.

Probably wouldn't be in this situation had UND had the balls to play NDSU when we were in the process of moving up.

We could have had it before but you guys would've rather play Wagner, and St. Francis at home. Your loss, our trophy!!

St. Francis was scheduled last season after the current #1 (hint, starts with Georgia, ends with Southern) backed out of a home-and-home. Would have been the biggest OOC game at home NDSU or UND have had since the jump up to D1.

... with Native American images ...

The NCAA policy says race-based images are naughty-naughty, thus the Nickel must be retired.

Too bad NDSU didn't play UND after 2003 but before Aug 15, 2011. Now the full force of sanctions are in effect. UND can't bring out the Nickel per the NCAA. It has to stay where it is, and in retirement. If that's a problem, take it up in Indianapolis, Indiana. I'm sure they'll listen. :silly:

The NCAA policy says race-based images are naughty-naughty, thus the Nickel must be retired.

Too bad NDSU didn't play UND after 2003 but before Aug 15, 2011. Now the full force of sanctions are in effect. UND can't bring out the Nickel per the NCAA. It has to stay where it is, and in retirement. If that's a problem, take it up in Indianapolis, Indiana. I'm sure they'll listen. :silly:

Then perhaps I'll fund them making a nickel with a Bison on both sides....cause for the home-and-home series I would like to see scheduled NDSU would win both anyways ;)