SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

The Bison win one home playoff game in just about 20 years and everybody decides to come out of the wood work. I suppose it is easy to get super excited about your team when the bar has been set so low over time. The next big goal for you guys will be to actually sell out your first home playoff game in 20 years.

The Bison win one home playoff game in just about 20 years and everybody decides to come out of the wood work. I suppose it is easy to get super excited about your team when the bar has been set so low over time. The next big goal for you guys will be to actually sell out your first home playoff game in 20 years.

The way the UND football franchise is going, it will be another 20 years before you host one as well, or perhaps you could sell out a regular game for a change?

• Downvote 1

The way the UND football franchise is going, it will be another 20 years before you host one as well, or perhaps you could sell out a regular game for a change?

Mentioning "another 20 years" ...

Congratulations to NDSU's last and most recent football national championship banner: It will be legal to go to the bars later this year. Yes, it'll be 21 years old.

Haha the bar at NDSU is set high every year. I'd say right after UND's hockey coach, its far and away the most high-profile, high-pressure sports job in the state. As for not selling out the playoff game, I can't say a word back because that was a shameful display if you go by the numbers. Had it been in the Alerus it would have been the loudest far and away that it had ever seen. Still, if we make it this year with a good record(as in not 7-4) and get a home game or two, I'd expect the turnout to be much better, hopefully we will get a chance to see.

Mentioning "another 20 years" ...

Congratulations to NDSU's last and most recent football national championship banner: It will be legal to go to the bars later this year. Yes, it'll be 21 years old.

21 years for NDSU 10 years for UND, who cares both are ancient history. The fact remains that NDSU is a few years ahead of UND in the transition to Division I. At this point comparing the two schools NDSU has had more success during the transition process, doesn't mean it can't change.

Of course football games are played on the field and when that happens in a rivalry game anything can happen. But, I feel any objective observer of the two programs would have to say NDSU is on the right path looking forward while UND is in need of some serious changes to compete in the Big Sky let alone nationally.

I've always respected UND's program and sincerely hope they can find the path back to being a successful program.

All I gotta say is with all the talk and some smack back and forth.....renew the series!!!! If and when the game happens it will be "the" game everyone talks about, and if it happens to be in the playoffs next year every seat will be gone, every tv will be on, every bar will have people cheering in it. The press will have article after article about every stat, and category about the game. This series was like no other in DII, and the country for that matter. UND-NDSU was the civil war of North Dakota and basically Hwy 200 was the battle line. I pop in Football America and get chills when they talk about the rivalry and to see that game played with Roger Thomas' ice to Rocky Hagar's fire it was a classic. I still have on tape (never got around to transfer it to dvd) the 1993 game (12 game broken streak) and the 1994 game (the first rival game in the Fargodome). Both games had so much anger on both teams, and so much to play for. They played for pride, for the state, for the playoffs, and for the Nickel. Can Montana really replace NDSU...no. Can SDSU replace UND..no. They try and its just not the same. We may have new teams we play but there will never be another game like the Sioux vs the Bison. Game on!!!

• Upvote 1

Darrell......if it were to happen in the playoffs....I cannot even begin to imagine how hot of a ticket that would be. Surely a ticket that could be scalped for high dollars! It would be an incredible story......the stuff that is in the movies.

Does the host team go to the higher seeded team or does the NCAA have different criteria? Would the Fargodome always host over the Alerus?

Does the host team go to the higher seeded team or does the NCAA have different criteria? Would the Fargodome always host over the Alerus?

I think the NCAA looks at the bids.......meaning it is all about money. What ever school bids the most would get the game. My understanding was NDSU significant bid over Robert Morris last year. When a school bids, they are making a guarantee of so many asses in the seats. Since the NCAA runs these games, they get the gate from the game and that is their revenue. Anything involving the NCAA is usually about the cash.....LOL!

I think the NCAA looks at the bids.......meaning it is all about money. What ever school bids the most would get the game. My understanding was NDSU significant bid over Robert Morris last year. When a school bids, they are making a guarantee of so many asses in the seats. Since the NCAA runs these games, they get the gate from the game and that is their revenue. Anything involving the NCAA is usually about the cash.....LOL!

Since the Fargodome holds roughly 5000+ more than the Alerus I would think the Fargdome would host all playoff games between UND and NDSU. But reguardless of venue it will be the Super Bowl of the upper midwest.

All I gotta say is with all the talk and some smack back and forth.....renew the series!!!! If and when the game happens it will be "the" game everyone talks about, and if it happens to be in the playoffs next year every seat will be gone, every tv will be on, every bar will have people cheering in it. The press will have article after article about every stat, and category about the game. This series was like no other in DII, and the country for that matter. UND-NDSU was the civil war of North Dakota and basically Hwy 200 was the battle line. I pop in Football America and get chills when they talk about the rivalry and to see that game played with Roger Thomas' ice to Rocky Hagar's fire it was a classic. I still have on tape (never got around to transfer it to dvd) the 1993 game (12 game broken streak) and the 1994 game (the first rival game in the Fargodome). Both games had so much anger on both teams, and so much to play for. They played for pride, for the state, for the playoffs, and for the Nickel. Can Montana really replace NDSU...no. Can SDSU replace UND..no. They try and its just not the same. We may have new teams we play but there will never be another game like the Sioux vs the Bison. Game on!!!

I couldn't agree more. The build up/hype would be unbelieveable and I hope it happens sooner rather than later.

Jacksonville State is a few years ahead of NDSU in the transition to I-AA. That doesn't make them better. If who did it first was the sole definition of who did it best, then the Wright Brothers plane would be considered superior to the aircraft that we fly on today.

so then, what has UND done better during their transitional period than NDSU did? pissing off the NCAA is not an acceptable answer.

21 years for NDSU 10 years for UND, who cares both are ancient history. The fact remains that NDSU is a few years ahead of UND in the transition to Division I. At this point comparing the two schools NDSU has had more success during the transition process, doesn't mean it can't change.

Of course football games are played on the field and when that happens in a rivalry game anything can happen. But, I feel any objective observer of the two programs would have to say NDSU is on the right path looking forward while UND is in need of some serious changes to compete in the Big Sky let alone nationally.

I've always respected UND's program and sincerely hope they can find the path back to being a successful program.

And then proceeded to fall flat on their face as soon as they were eligible. It doesn't matter what you do during transition, it matters what you do coming out of it. Probably why they call it transition huh? SDSU struggle through theirs for the most part and then made the playoffs before NDSU. I'd rather do that than be 3-8 in UND's first year to prove themselves (hopefully its not both).

The fact that NDSU had the audacity to still want to play UND while they were moving up to I-AA and UND was still in D2 shows how classless that program is and how desperate they were to beat the Sioux. They couldn't get the job done on a level playing field, so they stacked the deck in their favor and cried foul when UND didn't take the bait.

The analogy of what they did is this...

Say you get into a fitsfight with the same guy every day and get your a$$ handed to you each and every time (or at least 10 times out of 13). Then you go get a couple of buddies and challenge the guy to a 3 on 1 fight. Yeah, pretty lame.

I hated them when they used to beat the snot out of us in back in the '80s but at least I respected them at that time. They were a great team and they beat us repeatedly on a level playing field. But trying to stack the deck in your favor to get that edge back when the shoe is on the other foot is about the most dishonorable thing I can think of doing in that situation. I lost all respect for them after they moved up and expected us to continue playing them. That was a cowardly move IMHO.

Desperate to beat the Sioux.....you are insinuating that NDSU was moving up with the sole purpose of getting a leg up on UND. You sir, might be retarded.

NDSU is 4-3(FBS vs. FCS) in "3 on 1" fights, and thats when the Bison have been the 1. Beat Montana when we weren't D1 yet too. Your analogy blows. On your other threads you guys are saying how your D2 teams would have beat your nearly D1 team. So what is the difference in your D2 teams beating your D1 transition team now and playing our D1 transition team? I'm not following you at all Dave. I grew up in Jamestown, we played Valley City, we had 2-3 times more guys than they did and you never heard them complain about having to play us. I know this is college athletics and it is different but Jeez, its a rivalry game. You never saw Navy complain about going against Notre Dame once Notre Dame became a perrenial power and Navy slid into obscurity, they still scheduled them and had to wait 40 years for a win. The usual talent difference between Notre Dame and Navy was a LOT bigger than the difference between NDSU and UND would have been during the time NDSU was D1 and UND was not.

I'm not quite so sure NDSU tried to stack the deck in their favor, they were moving up regardless and made that perfectly clear. Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me. Do you also believe Elvis never died and Kennedy got shot from the Grassy Knoll? It is cowardly to ask a rival of over 100 years if they'd like to continue playing? Hmm....using your logic, UND is being cowardly 4 times then this year? or is it 3? I'm not sure how many NAIA and D2 teams UND will be playing...but apparently they are being cowardly that many times. I hope you take a good hard look at UND now. I fully expect a letter to be in the mail to Faison tomorrow telling him that it is cowardly to schedule below your division and you want only fully funded football programs from the FCS level. No more Drake, nothing less than what UND has.

Rant Over.

I think it was Darrell who asked about the playoff situation assuming they ever meet, UND would get it if they were seeded in the top 5. Otherwise, NDSU would probably have it locked down because of attendence bids.

...says the tool with 22 posts and a reputation of -25. :silly:

It's true, you will never admit anything, you by far have the greenest kelley green glasses. When UND loses this weekend to Fresno, you will have something positive to spin and negative NDSU comments, it's a given.

• Downvote 2

FWIW, and in a lame attempt to get this thread back on topic (before I close it), North Dakota A.D. said on the Fighting Sioux Coach's Show tonight that we "are basically there" when asked about scheduling NDSU. He said it will not be an annual series, but something is close to getting done...........................

Since the Fargodome holds roughly 5000+ more than the Alerus I would think the Fargdome would host all playoff games between UND and NDSU. But reguardless of venue it will be the Super Bowl of the upper midwest.

I would say that depends. What if UND boosters put up a sellout plus a large amount of cash..... I would say the NCAA would go where the most money is. Now.....that is for the opening round games. I do believe if you are high enough ranked to get a "bye" you are assured of a home game for your first game.

Whatever. We have much bigger fish to fry than that insignificant school that ran away from the NCC with their tails between their legs after the 2003 season. If we play them we play them, if we don't we don't. They're really just a bunch of nobodies.

Tail between our legs? First year coach took the team from 2-8 I think it was, to 8-3(Win at Montana). NDSU may not have left D2 behind on top or anything but still nothing to be ashamed of overall. If NDSU's football program is a bunch of nobodies Dave, I can't wait for the noun you use describing UND's football team. I'd like to see what fish you have to fry? You mean over in the Big Sky? We beat your conference champion by 25 last year. Took the 2nd place team to overtime, and our buddies to the south polished them off for us this year. And a much less significant bit, beat Montana when we were GASP! in Division 2!

bincitysioux, I hope they get a game or two scheduled, but I don't share the A.D's optomism. I wonder what the proposed plan is currently right now? On a year, off a year? ever 3 years maybe? Who knows at this point I guess....

WYO, that'd piss me off something fierce if NDSU allowed themselves to be outbid by a airplane hangar with seating.

Oh, your team is sooooooooo great. They could move to the Big Ten and go undefeated with an average 30+ point margin of victory. :silly:

While they have a respectable team they simply aren't half as great as you and most of your fanbase make them out to be. Get a clue!!! :glare:

I am surprised you are still allowed to post your drivel.

Jacksonville State is a few years ahead of NDSU in the transition to I-AA. That doesn't make them better. If who did it first was the sole definition of who did it best, then the Wright Brothers plane would be considered superior to the aircraft that we fly on today.

I never said they are better because they went to Division I first, what I said is that if you look at what UND has done during their transition and compare it to what NDSU did in the same time frame, NDSU had more success.

And then proceeded to fall flat on their face as soon as they were eligible. It doesn't matter what you do during transition, it matters what you do coming out of it. Probably why they call it transition huh? SDSU struggle through theirs for the most part and then made the playoffs before NDSU. I'd rather do that than be 3-8 in UND's first year to prove themselves (hopefully its not both).

I have followed the Sioux program for as long as I can remember and if you think that UND is on a similar path that SDSU was on you are dilusional. UND's football program is near rock bottom, the coach will be fired if not this year then next year and you will be starting over. IMO this will be a good thing. SDSU had stability during their transition with coaching and it just so happened that the recruiting they did led up to a great season the year they were eligible. NDSU's recruiting unfortunately culminated the year before they were eligible for the playoff. It's a long term race here and UND is not on a path that an objective fan would say is going to get the team to where you ultimately want to be.