SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

Yeah we'll likely play a MEAC/SWAC/NEC team, pay them $250k and the game will be over by halftime. UNI and Illinois State are our only good home games.

This game had potential and there was also potential for future games with MSU down the road, can't believe their AD would handle things this way.

Why? They have to go on the road and play two time defending champs and more than likely lose, right fu fans? So instead they can make money on their loss. Seems like the AD is doing his job. Maybe the game was dropped late for gene's taste, but there is plenty of time for fu to get a different game. And they have an extra 100k to do it.

I don't have the issue with the buyout or them wanting a money game but you do this in October, you don't wait until most of the teams are finishing their schedules to drop this kind of bombshell. It's bush league.

There really aren't a lot of options, it is a battle to get teams to come up here when we have time to get things worked out and now every team still looking for a game knows we are desperate.

I don't have the issue with the buyout or them wanting a money game but you do this in October, you don't wait until most of the teams are finishing their schedules to drop this kind of bombshell. It's bush league.

There really aren't a lot of options, it is a battle to get teams to come up here when we have time to get things worked out and now every team still looking for a game knows we are desperate.

Now the question is...how picky is Taylor on making sure the game is at the dome. Beggers can't be choosers.

Now the question is...how picky is Taylor on making sure the game is at the dome. Beggers can't be choosers.

I'm sure it will be in Fargo but equally sure they're going to have to pay someone to come get their ass kicked...the price on that could be up to $300k if nobody bites early.

I wouldn't be surprised to see teams start putting deadlines on buyout clauses. A simple "must be exercised 1year in advance of kickoff" would've saved Gene a huge headache in this situation.

Also, you have to wonder if Gene will ever agree to travel on the front end of a home and home again. Bison fans, the first game of the upcoming series with Montana is in the Fargodome correct? Do any of you expect Gene to buyout the return trip or will he honor the contract?

I wouldn't be surprised to see teams start putting deadlines on buyout clauses. A simple "must be exercised 1year in advance of kickoff" would've saved Gene a huge headache in this situation.

Also, you have to wonder if Gene will ever agree to travel on the front end of a home and home again. Bison fans, the first game of the upcoming series with Montana is in the Fargodome correct? Do any of you expect Gene to buyout the return trip or will he honor the contract?

Yes, NDSU will honor the return trip . . .always have, always will. Some sign contracts honestly, and some pull this kinda stuff in the 11th hour. It was clearly more about avoiding a loss than anything else for MSU. Don't really want to hear their BS reasons for backing out.

Yes, NDSU will honor the return trip . . .always have, always will. Some sign contracts honestly, and some pull this kinda stuff in the 11th hour. It was clearly more about avoiding a loss than anything else for MSU. Don't really want to hear their BS reasons for backing out.

Yeah, I'm sure that was the reason. I'm sure they'll beat SMU. I'm sure the big payday didn't factor in.

• Upvote 1

How can you say MSU didn't sign the contract honestly? GT agreed to a contract with a buyout and no deadline on that buyout. I've stated I wanted to see the game but to keep saying that MSU did something illegal or unethical when abiding by a contract that both they and NDSU signed is sour grapes. UND fans were upset when they got bought out, but I didn't see anyone calling out whole conferences or Commissioner's.

• Upvote 1

I bet you’re right about higher forces being at work here. No doubt UND played a role in this, trying to screw over NDSU.Gene was correct in calling out an entire conference for the actions of one school.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And there's your Bisonville "Preposterous Statements" winner right there, no need to even continue.

Un f'n believable.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I'm sure that was the reason. I'm sure they'll beat SMU. And I'm sure the big payday didn't factor in.

How big of a payday would one get from SMU? Maybe 250-300, but that's probably about it, and you just paid 100 to get it . . . and you are throwing away at top 5 FCS matchup. Really, after 8 years of extensions, you pull this BS? That payout doesn't seem like its worth it to get trashed by the media and message boards for being chicken !@#$. You are defending this move?

How big of a payday would one get from SMU? Maybe 250-300, but that's probably about it, and you just paid 100 to get it . . . and you are throwing away at top 5 FCS matchup. Really, after 8 years of extensions, you pull this BS? That payout doesn't seem like its worth it to get trashed by the media and message boards for being chicken !@#$. You are defending this move?

Dropping the game this late to me is wrong, but saying they cancelled because they're running from a loss doesn't make sense, they're big underdogs either way.

And I'm not defending Montana State, as a Griz fan I think it's funny they are getting hammered, eGriz is having a good time with it.

Again, Taylor put himself in this position by signing a contract with a $10,000 buyout. He should be happy MSU gave him another $100,000 to just go away. I am sure MSU has buyers remorse and wish they would have stuck with the original contract of $10,000. NDSU fans should be asking Taylor why did you sign a home and home with a $10,000 buyout?

The buyout for our future game with Montana is something like $250k.

I don't care about the buyout, if they never wanted to play the game they should have said so earlier. That is why this was a dirty move, you don't string a school along like this. It is bush league and I would even say it if some school pulled this stunt on UND.

My point is if you are an AD and you sign up to travel on front end of a home and home with a $10,000 buyout. You know the return is not going to happen. But, Taylor whined when it happened and played it out via the media to keep the game. MSU tried to end the return game. Now, MSU got a late offer for a FBS game and went with the payout route anyway (not sure about the stringing along stuff - more to come I am sure) and Taylor is whining in the media again. The reality is that the game was never going to be played if a better offer was on the table.

Because we were fresh out of DII, had five conference games and absolutely zero leverage in getting good teams to play us in Fargo. I think there was some sort of agreement between the ADs that if you honor that deal...NDSU will do another home and home with MSU.

So, UND should be calling out Patty and the MVFC. Because it was rumored that the UNI game when UND was DII had a home and home component if UND moved to FCS. Again, scheduling deals get broken all the time:

I can remember the following:

1) UNI - home/home after moving to FCS for the DII game - rumor

2) UCA - buyout

3) Great West tore up a contract with Poly..

4) Great West forced back to back in Vermillion because USD did not have its !@#$ together.

5) Idaho St - buyout

Scheduling sucks when you are the new kids on the block. Now UND and NDSU are past that and hopefully they won't run into this again.

PS - sorry about moving the response to this thread. But, I hate SU thread drift and now I am doing it.. I think that I am still pissed about the last 4 minutes of the BBall game yesterday. Best of luck to SUs going forward - Peace.

Any Bison fan that thinks UND administration played a role in the MSU buyout ought to have their fuckin head checked. That is some of the stupidest paranoia I have ever seen.....

Too bad UND doesn't have the date open........ this game would happen if they did.

http://www.bobcatnat...29817&start=100

Re: MSU vs NDSU 2013 rematch

icon_post_target.gifby WYOBISONMAN on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:19 pm

Siouxfan wrote:So some Montana St fans want a game near Minnesota for recruiting.

Guess what? There is already a conference game. Why have two?

Recruit Minnesota and Texas in the same year. That's what this switch does.

Beating the whioux is meaningless because your team sucks so bad. Now.......put your tail between your legs and go lay by your dish......

If our team sucks so bad why hasn't GT signed the contract that Faison was sending to him...oh that's right that whole 2003 issue. Now he blames us for this MSU buyout issue because we belong to the same conference that bought us out in 2009. Gee Wyo why do you act so repectable here but yet bash us on BVille and now the MSU board.

Any Bison fan that thinks UND administration played a role in the MSU buyout ought to have their fuckin head checked. That is some of the stupidest paranoia I have ever seen.....

Too bad UND doesn't have the date open........ this game would happen if they did.

One of your best posts. I believe MSU pulled out of the game for the $$$$. I don't think they are afraid to play other schools including NDSU. You tend to play up for the $$$ and the NDSU - MSU game would have been a great FCS game. I would be upset if I were the AC but Gene Taylor should be angry with himself for putting them in this position. Set up home and away so teams can't back out for less than $250,000. Gene knows what kind of $$$ the big schools will pay, so the buyouts need to be such that the $300,000-$400,000 are not such a big incentive. His disappointment with MSU is warranted. His anger should be with MSU. If he had any class he would have left the conference issue alone and taken some of the responsibility himself. They will find someone to fill. Gene may need pay a bit more cuz they are going to be very good again next year. We will have to see if he lets his brain kick in and override his ego.

MSU bought out the game for no other reason than for the money. Several people have said that it's not worth the extra $100,000 they might make. SERIOUSLY??? That much money may be a small percentage of their athletic budget or even their football budget but it makes a difference. If Faison could find a rock-solid way to make an extra $100,000 next season he'd be all over it. That'd be enough to pay for the new road jerseys they're already planning on getting for this year but would also allow us to get new home greens and still have $50,000 left over to put towards the conference travel expenses. If I'm MSU I jump on that opportunity every time.

EDIT: Forgot to add that doing this so late in the game may be the right financial choice but it's bush league. Hopefully buyout clauses for both UND and NDSU are at least doubled going forward because this type of thing is robbing us of quality OOC games.

I have always said that NDSU does not want to tie up OOC games with a home and home every year. That is what Faison wanted and NDSU will never sign a deal like that. Now, Darrell.......put that powerful Akers Business College certificate to work and figure the financial end of it out.

And.......I have no problem saying that you folks have an awful football team. You do and a hell of a lot of your fans agree with that. Good grief....... how many of you were calling for the head of Muss on a platter after last season. Guys like Darrell that think you have a solid football program are pretty damn clueless.

As to a game with NDSU this year.....had the dates worked......it might well have happened if UND would take the cash and travel.

Darrell.........you live in one hell of a fantasy world.

Well by that logic they will get paid more and get a win. No brainer.

I have always said that NDSU does not want to tie up OOC games with a home and home every year. That is what Faison wanted and NDSU will never sign a deal like that. Now, Darrell.......put that powerful Akers Business College certificate to work and figure the financial end of it out.

And.......I have no problem saying that you folks have an awful football team. You do and a hell of a lot of your fans agree with that. Good grief....... how many of you were calling for the head of Muss on a platter after last season. Guys like Darrell that think you have a solid football program are pretty damn clueless.

As to a game with NDSU this year.....had the dates worked......it might well have happened if UND would take the cash and travel.

Darrell.........you live in one hell of a fantasy world.

Good. Then have the balls to come on here and say UND has a terrible football team and you hate them. Be real. At least BisonDan is real and lets us all know he hates UND every time he post. You try this fake buddy buddy bullsh*t on SS then go onto BV and othe message boards and vent your true feelings.

Why should we care if he acts buddy buddy or not? He has Bison in his name. We should hate him and we should expect him to hate us. The fact that he makes rational posts about his fan base occasionally is appreciated but the fact is he's a fan of our biggest rival on a fan message board. If we were to meet in person I would no doubt enjoy having a beer with the guy but on a message board he's just a name who wears the wrong shade of green and chooses to highlight it with piss. Anyone who expects friendly rival posters clearly hasn't spent a whole lot of time on message boards.