SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

How about this...those people whether online or behind a desk trying to achieve a diploma from an institute of higher learning is called a student. Either way they both pay tuition and are trying to achieve the same goal. No one does it just to kill time. So really does it matter if they are sitting next to you in class or sitting behind their computer.

Even in my lectures I was often sitting on my couch behind a computer and not sitting next to my classmates in class. Maybe I shouldn't have been counted either?

Because why? Should Minot and Dickinson get the same funding too then?

Exactly.

My comment was more in jest and I probably should have prefaced it with that. Different programs cost different amounts to run. Different campuses have different needs and expenses. But the reason that people keep giving that they should be funded equally is "Because". I'd like to see the reason for the need. Someone shouldn't get more or less money because someone else does. As it stands, I think that all schools across the state get too much funding and there is too much overhead/administration.

Exactly.

My comment was more in jest and I probably should have prefaced it with that. Different programs cost different amounts to run. Different campuses have different needs and expenses. But the reason that people keep giving that they should be funded equally is "Because". I'd like to see the reason for the need. Someone shouldn't get more or less money because someone else does. As it stands, I think that all schools across the state get too much funding and there is too much overhead/administration.

AMEN. Especially that last sentence.

The only problem with that is the cost of delivering education to an online student is much different as compared to a traditional student. Yet state funding does not distinguish between the two.

This.

Curious if either of you want to expand on the difference in costs and how exactly they are much different, outside of the obvious buildings/classrooms/etc, the majority of which are already in place and don't play into the equation?

Curious if either of you want to expand on the difference in costs and how exactly they are much different, outside of the obvious buildings/classrooms/etc, the majority of which are already in place and don't play into the equation?

Professors. I can take a quiz in an online class pretty cheap I presume.

I am guessing University of Phoenix online is significantly cheaper for them to run than the University of Minnesota.

I'm not well-informed enough to give you an exact breakdown per student credit hour, but can provide a little insight into how the numbers are different. My wife is teaching 6 credits worth of online classes this year at MiSU. She's getting about $2500 to do that, or about $416/credit hour. My major adviser at NDSU had a 10% teaching appointment, which required him to teach 3 credit hours per year. If you take 10% of his $90,000 total salary that comes out to $9,000, or $3000 per credit hour. Also, you have to take the facilities into account, as there is opportunity cost there.

I want to be clear I'm not discounting the value of online education, I just wish the funding formula would distinguish between online and traditional students.

Professors. I can take a quiz in an online class pretty cheap I presume.

I am guessing University of Phoenix online is significantly cheaper for them to run than the University of Minnesota.

Does a professor still not teach you class, have to look at your quiz, input grades, etc? And I'm not talking overall costs to run an institution, I'm asking about credit by credit comparisons on online vs in class.

I'm not well-informed enough to give you an exact breakdown per student credit hour, but can provide a little insight into how the numbers are different. My wife is teaching 6 credits worth of online classes this year at MiSU. She's getting about $2500 to do that, or about $416/credit hour. My major adviser at NDSU had a 10% teaching appointment, which required him to teach 3 credit hours per year. If you take 10% of his $90,000 total salary that comes out to $9,000, or $3000 per credit hour. Also, you have to take the facilities into account, as there is opportunity cost there.

I want to be clear I'm not discounting the value of online education, I just wish the funding formula would distinguish between online and traditional students.

Interesting point. For larger classes, which are usually lower level classes, I believe that their is an economies of scale for teaching and it can be cheaper, especially since a GA or TA teaches a lot of those. When the classes get to be higher level and class sizes are smaller, along with the professor making more than a GA or TA, that is lost. Also, there are often expenses related to the cost of providing an online education that aren't often used when looking at the cost comparison such as the online infrastructure, software, hardware, etc needed to be able to provide it. I've saw a few different studies on it and haven't come up with a real good conclusion other than it is actually a lot closer than people think, though the amount varies from school to school.

Does a professor still not teach you class, have to look at your quiz, input grades, etc? And I'm not talking overall costs to run an institution, I'm asking about credit by credit comparisons on online vs in class.

Interesting point. For larger classes, which are usually lower level classes, I believe that their is an economies of scale for teaching and it can be cheaper, especially since a GA or TA teaches a lot of those. When the classes get to be higher level and class sizes are smaller, along with the professor making more than a GA or TA, that is lost. Also, there are often expenses related to the cost of providing an online education that aren't often used when looking at the cost comparison such as the online infrastructure, software, hardware, etc needed to be able to provide it. I've saw a few different studies on it and haven't come up with a real good conclusion other than it is actually a lot closer than people think, though the amount varies from school to school.

I just think it would be interesting to put the numbers on what it costs to deliver education via traditional and online methods, and then fund accordingly. It looks like the legislature is looking at differet funding models for higher education (again), hopefully they can make hash out a funding formula that makes sense.

I just think it would be interesting to put the numbers on what it costs to deliver education via traditional and online methods, and then fund accordingly. It looks like the legislature is looking at differet funding models for higher education (again), hopefully they can make hash out a funding formula that makes sense.

:D :D :D :D :D

now that there's funny. i don't care who you are.

Looks like this thread has run its course...

Until the media runs another UND-NDSU rivalry story. Like what is more popular UND hockey or NDSU football, or NDSU needs a game could they schedule UND. Other than that we will re-visit this thread next season.

I refer to them because over the years many of them have put down online classes and students just like you continue to do. And you don't seem to understand that the "real college experience" is continually changing. It is different for everyone. There is no "real college experience" that is the same for everyone, or even for a majority of students. It's an illusion that you have stuck in your head, a relic from the past. Online classes are part of the "real college experience" for a large number of students now, and will continue to grow in importance. The important thing is whether the students get a quality education, not some image of the "real college experience" that you seem to have stuck in your head.

I think the reason why the football game has not been played, is that Taylor is hoping to schedule the UND game on-line, but is waiting for the details from Bismarck on the on-line football funding formula. This on-line football should be a win-win for both schools, with a lower guarantee and no travel.

Faison has stated that he is on board with on-line football and that the formulas are favorable for UND as he indicated, "The costs are right to get this thing done, and frankly it might be a lot easier to get a win. They love us in Bismarck, but if the state folks will throw NDSU a bone to get this thing done, I don't see any harm in that. We will just push to reassert our funding advantage in the next session. LIke I said, they love us in Bismarck!".

This on-line game is meeting with mix reviews from Bismarck where some are not eager to re-addess the football funding formula which currently gives a andvantage to und/on-line football credit hour. However, when pressed for comment, the chancelor of the NDSBHE concurred, "If there is a way to correct the formula and make this thing happen, it is our obligation to do so. Competition, it lifts us up, and makes us accountable, and frankly a little equity wouldn't hurt."

When asked if playing UND on-line was a good way to re-start the rivalry with UND, NDSU's Gene Taylor smiled and reiterated, "All comers . . . Anyone, anytime, anywhere . . . even in cyberspace. On-line football helps to create a great college experience". It appears the game could happen in 2013.

• Upvote 3

I think the reason why the football game has not been played, is that Taylor is hoping to schedule the UND game on-line, but is waiting for the details from Bismarck on the on-line football funding formula. This on-line football should be a win-win for both schools, with a lower guarantee and no travel.

Faison has stated that he is on board with on-line football and that the formulas are favorable for UND as he indicated, "The costs are right to get this thing done, and frankly it might be a lot easier to get a win. They love us in Bismarck, but if the state folks will throw NDSU a bone to get this thing done, I don't see any harm in that. We will just push to reassert our funding advantage in the next session. LIke I said, they love us in Bismarck!".

This on-line game is meeting with mix reviews from Bismarck where some are not eager to re-addess the football funding formula which currently gives a andvantage to und/on-line football credit hour. However, when pressed for comment, the chancelor of the NDSBHE concurred, "If there is a way to correct the formula and make this thing happen, it is our obligation to do so. Competition, it lifts us up, and makes us accountable, and frankly a little equity wouldn't hurt."

When asked if playing UND on-line was a good way to re-start the rivalry with UND, NDSU's Gene Taylor smiled and reiterated, "All comers . . . Anyone, anytime, anywhere . . . even in cyberspace. On-line football helps to create a great college experience". It appears the game could happen in 2013.

Good to see NDSU finally get with the times and try and improve their online football presence. Glad they've quit their whining about unfair online football funding and instead are actually going to try and do something that UND has been doing for years. Just another example of NDSU following UND in pretty much everything. :)

• Upvote 1

Back on topic, I just saw a tweet from what appears to be a Delaware State player that says they play North Dakota State next year. They must have filled one of their Sept slots with the Hornets. Put the issue to rest for another year now.

I should add "if true" to the above statement. Just because some kid tweets it does not mean its locked in.

Back on topic, I just saw a tweet from what appears to be a Delaware State player that says they play North Dakota State next year. They must have filled one of their Sept slots with the Hornets. Put the issue to rest for another year now.

Cool. Probably took $300,000 to buy a win vs a MEAC school. :whistling:

For $25,000, they could have had Moorhead St. :lol:

Good to see NDSU finally get with the times and try and improve their online football presence. Glad they've quit their whining about unfair online football funding and instead are actually going to try and do something that UND has been doing for years. Just another example of NDSU following UND in pretty much everything. :)

Your joking right?

if you read the thread - it is reference to an online football game :D and the NDSU posters on this board complaining about online students being called students. Not to be a wise-@$$ but are you really that dull? umm - maybe I am being a wise-@$$ ;)

I think its you being dull - read the bold - "another example ...... " Who's been following who the last 7 or 8 years?

Your joking right?

You just don't get it - those comments are designed to keep busy the numerous bison trolls, whose sole purpose is to monitor every comment and remind us of how much better they think su is. UND is and will continue to be the Flagship school of North Dakota - you're not going to change that. Unfortunately it appears we also aren't going to change the perpetual inferiority complext that requires your constant presence here.
  • Upvote 2

You just don't get it - those comments are designed to keep busy the numerous bison trolls, whose sole purpose is to monitor every comment and remind us of how much better they think su is. UND is and will continue to be the Flagship school of North Dakota - you're not going to change that. Unfortunately it appears we also aren't going to change the perpetual inferiority complext that requires your constant presence here.

Who follows who? Inferiority complext is your fans story.