SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

I have always said that NDSU does not want to tie up OOC games with a home and home every year. That is what Faison wanted and NDSU will never sign a deal like that. Now, Darrell.......put that powerful Akers Business College certificate to work and figure the financial end of it out.

And.......I have no problem saying that you folks have an awful football team. You do and a hell of a lot of your fans agree with that. Good grief....... how many of you were calling for the head of Muss on a platter after last season. Guys like Darrell that think you have a solid football program are pretty damn clueless.

As to a game with NDSU this year.....had the dates worked......it might well have happened if UND would take the cash and travel.

Darrell.........you live in one hell of a fantasy world.

So NDSU didn't have a solid football team when people wanted Bohls head after the 3 win season of 2009? UND played a ranked team every week for almost 2 months we went 5-6 not ideal but not awful.

I have always said that NDSU does not want to tie up OOC games with a home and home every year. That is what Faison wanted and NDSU will never sign a deal like that. Now, Darrell.......put that powerful Akers Business College certificate to work and figure the financial end of it out.

And.......I have no problem saying that you folks have an awful football team. You do and a hell of a lot of your fans agree with that. Good grief....... how many of you were calling for the head of Muss on a platter after last season. Guys like Darrell that think you have a solid football program are pretty damn clueless.

As to a game with NDSU this year.....had the dates worked......it might well have happened if UND would take the cash and travel.

Darrell.........you live in one hell of a fantasy world.

I will let you know after the spring game what I think of the team next year - depth was the biggest issue last year and that will get better each year going forward.

So NDSU didn't have a solid football team when people wanted Bohls head after the 3 win season of 2009? UND played a ranked team every week for almost 2 months we went 5-6 not ideal but not awful.

NDSU had a horseshit team in 2009. I will be the first to admit that I was very surprised at how fast Bohl turned it around. That said....I will be more surprised if Muss and Co. can do it. You must be into that "moral victory" garbage since you think Muss is doing OK.

Why should we care if he acts buddy buddy or not? He has Bison in his name. We should hate him and we should expect him to hate us. The fact that he makes rational posts about his fan base occasionally is appreciated but the fact is he's a fan of our biggest rival on a fan message board. If we were to meet in person I would no doubt enjoy having a beer with the guy but on a message board he's just a name who wears the wrong shade of green and chooses to highlight it with piss. Anyone who expects friendly rival posters clearly hasn't spent a whole lot of time on message boards.

It's the old story of the scorpion and the frog - if you don' t know it google it. Fits quite well with the trollers who try and be buddies here.
  • Upvote 1

My thought is that quality home-and-home OOC games at FCS are very rare and often get bought out after the first game. UND had Idaho State and Central Arkansas back out, and I'm sure Montana would have bought out this year if UND hadn't become a conference mate. I'm actually a little surprised that Montana didn't buy out the game, conference-mate status notwithstanding. NDSU also seems to have a history with quality FCS schools buying out the return trip.

One thing that is certain is that UND wouldn't do to NDSU what Georgia Southern, Montana, and Montana State did. It would be political armageddon if UND or NDSU ever bought out a home-and-home game with the other. I also never worried much about South Dakota State buying out the return trip to Grand Forks. I don't think UND would ever buy out a return trip to any of the Dakota 3, and I highly doubt any of the Dakota 3 would ever buy out a return trip to UND. I guess what I'm saying is that it seems to me that the Dakota 3 ought to schedule UND in OOC games more than is currently happening. I know NDSU's OOC model is one FBS game, one cupcake, and one quality FCS game and that they want variety on that one quality FCS game. UND doesn't provide variety, but at least they could be assured the games will actually be played. But maybe they need to get burned a few more times before they will settle on UND.

My thought is that quality home-and-home OOC games at FCS are very rare and often get bought out after the first game. UND had Idaho State and Central Arkansas back out, and I'm sure Montana would have bought out this year if UND hadn't become a conference mate. I'm actually a little surprised that Montana didn't buy out the game, conference-mate status notwithstanding. NDSU also seems to have a history with quality FCS schools buying out the return trip.

One thing that is certain is that UND wouldn't do to NDSU what Georgia Southern, Montana, and Montana State did. It would be political armageddon if UND or NDSU ever bought out a home-and-home game with the other. I also never worried much about South Dakota State buying out the return trip to Grand Forks. I don't think UND would ever buy out a return trip to any of the Dakota 3, and I highly doubt any of the Dakota 3 would ever buy out a return trip to UND. I guess what I'm saying is that it seems to me that the Dakota 3 ought to schedule UND in OOC games more than is currently happening. I know NDSU's OOC model is one FBS game, one cupcake, and one quality FCS game and that they want variety on that one quality FCS game. UND doesn't provide variety, but at least they could be assured the games will actually be played. But maybe they need to get burned a few more times before they will settle on UND.

Good post. I'd be happy to get yearly games with any of FU, BU or UV.

Very few people were calling for "Mussman's head". A few fans entertain themselves by reading these blogs and fewer take them too seriously. Just because one can start a blog about a coach doesn't mean there is an overwhelming pressure to make a coaching change.There is no pressure on Mussman right now. That won't come from a blog, it will come from Alumni, area business leaders who support UND, former players and from the UND administration.

If you don't think the FB program at UND is solid, then you don't know what you are talking about. This has been a solid program for longer than you have been alive. There is a difference between claiming UND was a good team last year and stating correctly that UND has a solid FB program. We are fully funded and play in a great indoor facility. We are building a new indoor practice facility that will upgrade the weight room, the practice locker rooms, and the administrative areas. There will not be an FCS program in the nation that will be able to claim UND's facilities are substandard. We are just coming out of our transition period. We have had two very good recruiting years in a row and we are now winning recruiting battles against our peers. We had an OK first year. Most of us are not comparing ourselves to your program, nor should we. We worry about ourselves. We will compare with your program once we meet on the FB field. The thing you miss is that very few of us live and die based on what our college athletic teams do. What your team does doesn't say anything thing about you nor does it give you bragging rights. It means someone other than you earned those rights. For the rest of us it is entertainment.

He thinks UND isn't solid because we failed to make the playoffs even though he forgets NDSU went 6-5 and 3-8 in their first 2 years of the MVFC. I guess solid means going 9-13...UND needs to go 4-7 this year to be up to NDSU's definition of solid.

• Upvote 1

You forget NDSU would lose money on any road games to Grand Forks so therefore the game should only be at the Fargodome, even though SDSU has no problem coming up to the Alerus, plus Stony Brook, Northwestern St, Valpo, Lamar among others. Only NDSU is in dire straights of cash and needs every penny.

Why is it that the trolls feel that when teams buy out FU it's because they are afraid of them but when teams choose not to schedule UND (basically the same thing) it's UND's fault. Perhaps FUs arrogance, athlete criminal issues and fan reputation are catching up to them?

• Upvote 2

Why is it that the trolls feel that when teams buy out FU it's because they are afraid of them but when teams choose not to schedule UND (basically the same thing) it's UND's fault. Perhaps FUs arrogance, athlete criminal issues and fan reputation are catching up to them?

I thought their motto was anyone, anywhere...but yet they WON'T schedule UND, and their fans (plus GT) is demanding a home game. What you guys scared to play on the road outside of your conference?

I don't believe that for a minute. UND officials have had no problem screwing over NDSU in the past, only a fool would believe that they would hesitate to do so in the future.

After seeing some of the stuff tweeted to MSU's athletic account and comments left on their facebook page, I don't think the arrogance is just at the top.

This is an interesting comment coming from a fan of a program whose two biggest rivals both refuse to play them anymore. Ever consider the likelyhood that it's UND that's the problem not both NDSU and Minnesota?

This is an interesting comment coming from a fan of a program whose two biggest rivals both refuse to play them anymore. Ever consider the likelyhood that it's UND that's the problem not both NDSU and Minnesota?

So much anger. Relax and enjoy your non-conference schedule next year. At least now it will be back to normal with two doormats coming to the FD.

• Upvote 2

I don't believe that for a minute. UND officials have had no problem screwing over NDSU in the past, only a fool would believe that they would hesitate to do so in the future.

Relax man. Apples and oranges comparing UND choosing not to schedule NDSU after NDSU moved up to a different division versus cancelling the back-end of a home-and-home.

But call me a fool if it makes you feel better. I know NDSU's fan base is a little worked up right now, so I won't take it personally.

UND isn't the one looking for a game. Schedule's full. Have fun filling yours.

• Upvote 1

You just said that UND would hesitate at nothing to screw NDSU over, meaning they would be out to get them. Just like Montana State screwed them over. And Georgia Southern.

No, you're misunderstanding. The OP said UND would not screw over NDSU because of the bad PR it would create. Based on UND's past behavior, that appears to not be the case. It has nothing to do with UND being out to get NDSU. It's just in their nature...kinda like the frog and the scorpion.

Relax man. Apples and oranges comparing UND choosing not to schedule NDSU after NDSU moved up to a different division versus cancelling the back-end of a home-and-home.

But call me a fool if it makes you feel better. I know NDSU's fan base is a little worked up right now, so I won't take it personally.

No, it's not apples and oranges. Your suggestion that UND would not backout of a scheduled game with NDSU because of the PR damage it might do is silly. They have shown no such reluctance in the past.