SiouxSports.com Forum

So what's the real reason for all the Sioux bashing

nodak hockey fanatic

The drunkhockeyguy fiasco on PAs show today got me thinking, why all the hate?

Because the Sioux are consistently one of the nations best teams? Jealousy is an angry animal.

Because none of the other guys can get those 26 year old Canadian recruits? ;)

Because we won't give up on the BEST nickname and logo in all of sports!

Because NHL gms and coaches have nothing but high praise for the program? There's that jealousy thing again.

Or simply in today's world of twits and blogs and Internet anonymity... Haters gonna hate?

Thoughts? Go Sioux!!!

"Hate" is the best form of flattery. I won back to back state championships in baseball and everywhere our team went we got booed and yelled at by fans from the other cities. Music to my ears. Its them letting you know that your better than them.

People hate us because it starts with the media.

Why do media outsiders not care for the Fighting Sioux? The fanbase. We are so passionate and, well, obnoxious (in a good way to me) that any little thing they say that isn't in full support of Sioux hockey gets shredded by Sioux fans. I think it takes a toll on those members of the media, and their dislike (I wouldn't say hate) stems from that. Most try to maintain a professional attitude about it or try to hide their feelings...some show their displeasures.

If we had a much smaller fanbase that didn't jump on anything negative about the team, I think you'd see a difference in opinion. Throw in a bunch of successful seasons, and it just adds fuel to the fire.

Here's a few reasons why I believe haters hate. Now, I'm not going to distinguish between haters of the Sioux who call themselves Sioux fans and haters of the Sioux who are fans of other teams or schools.

1. Their "guy" wasn't hired, given more playing time, etc.

2. The guy they dislike on the team hasn't been benched/kicked off the team

3. UND lost

4. They need something to whine about that takes their thought processes away from their own sports teams' failures or whatever it is that's causing them problems in the real world.

5. They see an opening and feel the need to spew hate just is too good to pass up.

6. They need to feel good about themselves as a whole and this brings a cheap thrill.

7. Someone wearing UND apparel was mean to them or to someone within visual and/or aural range while at a sporting event. This gets magnified 1000 fold if the victim happens to be under 14 years of age.

8. Modification of #2 above: They just don't like the guy (see Brian Lee or Joe Finley)

9. Personal problems of someone associated with UND makes them think that everyone from UND should be bashed for allowing them even into Grand Forks City Limits.

10. A bad decision by someone who used to go to UND means that, no matter what he or she does towards UND, it automatically makes them evil... even if the bad decision was only heresay or the follow up allegations investigated by a Federal agency finds nothing to support said allegations.

11. Just for poops and laughter.

12. They like to see other anonymous message board people get all bent out of shape.

13. Hating is easier than finding reasons to like.

14. The media does play a role and hate is the only thing that builds ratings even comparable to sex.

"Hate" is the best form of flattery. I won back to back state championships in baseball and everywhere our team went we got booed and yelled at by fans from the other cities. Music to my ears. Its them letting you know that your better than them.

Am i the only one who noticed the irony in this username? haha....

Maybe a little bit of it is the one sided thinking. Here there are 2 threads about my comments, 1 which gets locked after 58 replies, the other gets deleted within 10 minutes after I appologize for being a jackass. So the way I am seeing this now, its ok to trash the crap out of Drunkhockeyguy as much as we want for saying something about a sioux player, then when I issue a sincere apology we immediately delete the thread to make sure Drunkhockeyguy continues to be a big running joke/asshole. I mean really man, I say Im sorry and we delete the thread but allow everyone to bash the !@#$ out of me for 2 days?

• Downvote 3

Maybe a little bit of it is the one sided thinking. Here there are 2 threads about my comments, 1 which gets locked after 58 replies, the other gets deleted within 10 minutes after I appologize for being a jackass. So the way I am seeing this now, its ok to trash the crap out of Drunkhockeyguy as much as we want for saying something about a sioux player, then when I issue a sincere apology we immediately delete the thread to make sure Drunkhockeyguy continues to be a big running joke/asshole. I mean really man, I say Im sorry and we delete the thread but allow everyone to bash the !@#$ out of me for 2 days?

From the "Hokey player story" thread

If you are referring to the KFAN/Kristo thread, yes I did [delete it]. My initial post made clear that I didn't want to start a "lets bash-someone" thread. I tried to lock it so no one could comment on it, but couldn't. If you have a problem with me taking that down, you are welcome to your opinion.

I think the apology should have been copied over to another thread, at the least.

• Upvote 1

People hate us because it starts with the media.

Why do media outsiders not care for the Fighting Sioux? The fanbase. We are so passionate and, well, obnoxious (in a good way to me) that any little thing they say that isn't in full support of Sioux hockey gets shredded by Sioux fans. I think it takes a toll on those members of the media, and their dislike (I wouldn't say hate) stems from that. Most try to maintain a professional attitude about it or try to hide their feelings...some show their displeasures.

If we had a much smaller fanbase that didn't jump on anything negative about the team, I think you'd see a difference in opinion. Throw in a bunch of successful seasons, and it just adds fuel to the fire.

I think you're on to something here. Most people don't know what it's like to really be part of a passionate fanbase. Sure, you can be a diehard fan of your local professional sports team, but what connection do you really have? You live in the same city or state, therefore you're a fan. But you still really have no real connection. With a school, you are part of that institution. While you're not part of the team, there's definitely more connection to it. When somebody says something bad about it, you take it a bit more personally.

Seems like Sioux fans foster that type of intensity and it doesn't seem to exist at most schools. Once a Sioux fan, always a Sioux fan. But with a lot of schools, it seems to me, once you leave the school, the fans couldn't care less what's going on there.

I think you're on to something here. Most people don't know what it's like to really be part of a passionate fanbase. Sure, you can be a diehard fan of your local professional sports team, but what connection do you really have? You live in the same city or state, therefore you're a fan. But you still really have no real connection. With a school, you are part of that institution. While you're not part of the team, there's definitely more connection to it. When somebody says something bad about it, you take it a bit more personally.

Seems like Sioux fans foster that type of intensity and it doesn't seem to exist at most schools. Once a Sioux fan, always a Sioux fan. But with a lot of schools, it seems to me, once you leave the school, the fans couldn't care less what's going on there.

I tried to copy it to the other thread but it was locked. The one I did post in was deleted. Like I said, not trying to start a flame war here, because I have already made myself look stupid enough, but the fact was the thread that didn't have an apology in it, because it was locked and I couldn't post there, is still floating around for everyone to read. The thread that I did apologize in was deleted. So once again, everyone can still see the bashing at me but I don't have the opportunity to apologize for my actions. Seems pretty biased to me.

• Downvote 1

You fail to mention how many of the rabid Sioux fans in this town DID NOT attend UND, much less earn a degree. Case in point Frank Burgraff. He stated that he attended UND but did not say that he was a graduate of UND.

I think a majority of the bashing has to do with how passionate the Sioux fan base is. Yes there is a lot of sioux fans who are cocky because of how the team is usually good every season and is rite in the thick of a natioanl title. Also, we sioux fans take a lot of stuff so serious that a lot of ther fan bases think its funny the way we react. It also doesnt help that there is at least one major incident thats happenf or the past few seasons (kristo, frattin, finly hitting the mascot, judys incident, duis, peeing in elevators etc etc. so sioux become a easy target.

I tried to copy it to the other thread but it was locked. The one I did post in was deleted. Like I said, not trying to start a flame war here, because I have already made myself look stupid enough, but the fact was the thread that didn't have an apology in it, because it was locked and I couldn't post there, is still floating around for everyone to read. The thread that I did apologize in was deleted. So once again, everyone can still see the bashing at me but I don't have the opportunity to apologize for my actions. Seems pretty biased to me.

Maybe next time you should think first before you make a stupid comment like you did on the radio. I think the best think you can do is go back to GPL and or the Penalty Box where you make similar comments like one you made on the radio yesterday. Come on now most of read the message boards and you comment was in character. You're really not fooling anyone.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Maybe make a new thread with your apology to Sioux fans, Kristo, etc. and have one of the mods lock it. That way it's easy for everyone to see and you won't have to worry about any further backlash.

DHG, I was the first to make a reply because of your comments in the Good Luck from the other ND thread. I can say that I will forgive you for your comments. But my mind has still been changes to cheer for the Irish. Now off to work, gotta pay for the Frozen Four experience. SIOUX YEAH YEAH!!!

Maybe make a new thread with your apology to Sioux fans, Kristo, etc. and have one of the mods lock it. That way it's easy for everyone to see and you won't have to worry about any further backlash.

I have a better idea for DHG, just go away... You said your piece no need grinding about it over here. I am not shocked with what you said....

to DHG

Live & Learn

too many of us think were cute or witty & make mistakes

But I do think the Maroon Loon should b!tch slap ya for breaking the bond we had (not you & me) :huh: but between UND & UMD

I still remember Sandelin as a Sioux Defense-man - I'm pretty sure I cussed him a time or two - so send him my apologies & were even :silly:

Apology or not , to go on a large regional sportstalk radio station and spew your BS was pathetic. Only a true JA would have come right out and said what you said on live radio.

People seem to get more upset over the what they know is the truth than what is not the truth, e.g. Kristo..

I would like to issue an apology to Lomackman for not being able to Neg Rep your other idiotic posts today. Please know that I would stockpile all of them for you if the Mods would allow it.... :silly:

• Upvote 3

I would like to issue an apology to Lomackman for not being able to Neg Rep your other idiotic posts today. Please know that I would stockpile all of them for you if the Mods would allow it.... :silly:

If I had my point left for the day I would have given it to you.