SiouxSports.com Forum

New turf at the Alerus

darell1976

See, I'm wondering if it didn't come up when the field design was sent to Astroturf. Nobody would know better than them.

Given the choice of the Alerus Center logos or no logo at all, 99.9 percent of most humans would prefer non at all :) Now what about the Big Sky logos? I wonder if those are going on the filed anywhere?

Those logos look painted on so I'd assume the Alerus ones are as well. Maybe they can put an nd at the 50 some day?

Yeah, I went back and looked at the original design. I thought it was one large Alerus logo at the center but it is the two small ones on the outside of the hashmarks. I see those on the ground level picture.

Maybe that is how they got around the NCAA rule about logo at "midfield."

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/372330/group/homepage/

The UND football team practiced on the new Alerus Center turf for the first time on Sunday afternoon and it received rave reviews from the players and coaches. Athletic director Brian Faison also attended practice to check it out.

“It feels pretty good,” Brenneman said. “I noticed right away that the knees were feeling good when I walked out here. It was nice to run and cut on. I feel really quick on it. All the guys are pretty happy. It’s going to make our practice tempo a lot faster.”

The new turf also will make the skill players happy.

The previous surface usually left players with carpet burns after they were tackled on it.

UND wide receivers coach Luke Schleusner, who played at the Alerus in 2001, estimated that he got a turf burn every other week from the old surface.

The new surface GameDay Grass 3D. It features five layers to provide extra support.

The base is tufted construction. The second layer is multi-ply backing. The third layer is infill. The fourth layer is double nylon Root Zone, which reduces the compaction associated with other infill products. And the final layer is monofilament polyethylene, which mimics grass blades.

Altru Health System has pledged a $10 million gift to the University of North Dakota through the UND Foundation in support of a sports medicine partnership between Altru and UND. According to UND President Robert Kelley, $9 million will serve as the leadership gift for a new UND Athletics Complex, an indoor practice and competition facility on campus. ... The remaining $1 million is directed to support the replacement of the football turf at the Alerus Center.

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=205670708

And that explains the Altru logo on the floor of The Al.

The best play of the night was when miller caught a short pass by the Big Sky logo and cut upfield to the Alerus logo and changed direction and crossed over to the other Alerus logo and broke a tackle and made it all the way to the Altru logo before being tackled.

• Upvote 4

The best play of the night was when miller caught a short pass by the Big Sky logo and cut upfield to the Alerus logo and changed direction and crossed over to the other Alerus logo and broke a tackle and made it all the way to the Altru logo before being tackled.

:lol:

thoroughly enjoyable description

I thought he was going to go down when he stumbled on the Alerus swoosh thing. Great balance. :D

Just like racing when the driver has to get a word in for all the sponsors.

• 2 weeks later...