SiouxSports.com Forum

New turf at the Alerus

darell1976

Well, looks like they got the main piece wrong again. The endzones are the only good part of the field. I hate that the whole field looks like a strip of adds. Lets go for a third try shal we

Shows they don't read fan message boards, I guess. ???

I absolutely love the black endzones! I said last year I would have loved them to be balck! :xmas:

But is it just me or does the turf look like it needs to be watered? It's looking a little dead and dried out. Maybe they are going for the authentic late-fall-dried-out-brown NoDak grass look to try fool people during FB season that it is real. Or maybe my screen's color resolution is slightly off. :huh:

Not all of the lights were on so it would make the grass look unsaturated. I love the endzone. A+ on that. I also like that they learned their lesson and didn't paint green on a green field in the bigsky and alerus logos like last year. A+ on that. For the love of God alerus center, people know what the building is, there is no need for those gaudy oversized ostentatious logos at the 50 yard line. UND is the main tenant and the only reason you got the damn turf let alone the building in the first place. The only good part about that logo is that it's painted on and can be moved and rescaled if they ever pull their heads out of their asses and put a nice huge ND at the 50. F+ on that.

• Upvote 1

Not all of the lights were on so it would make the grass look unsaturated. I love the endzone. A+ on that. I also like that they learned their lesson and didn't paint green on a green field in the bigsky and alerus logos like last year. A+ on that. For the love of God alerus center, people know what the building is, there is no need for those gaudy oversized ostentatious logos at the 50 yard line. UND is the main tenant and the only reason you got the damn turf let alone the building in the first place. The only good part about that logo is that it's painted on and can be moved and rescaled if they ever pull their heads out of their asses and put a nice huge ND at the 50. F+ on that.

Well said. Those alerus logos are ridiculously big. Seems like they are trying too hard.

• Upvote 1

I wonder what the deal is with the sidelines. I know that the box or whatever it's called that holds the turf is only so wide but having uncovered concrete is an eyesore and potentially dangerous to players with cleats. Hardin almost whiped out after a td last year on that crap.

The Alerus Center name is going to be on the turf because UND doesn't own the building. Get over it or pay for a new stadium. And they would have new turf whether UND helped pay for it or not, they just wouldn't have the same quality new turf. The Alerus Center had enough money to pay for new turf, they just weren't willing to pay for the same grade of new turf as UND wanted. The building is owned by the city of Grand Forks and is used for plenty of others. They have every right (including a legal right in the contract) to put their name on the field, why would they do something different.

I would be willing to bet that at least part of the reason that the interlocking ND isn't on the turf is because UND will have a new nickname and logo within a couple of years. No one knows whether anything will change for the football program as far as which logo they may use. But why would they put the ND logo on the field when there is at least a decent chance that they may have to change it again in a couple of years.

The really funny thing is that only a very select few could even tell you what is on the field, much less care about it, yet a few people on here get so upset about what is painted on a football field that will be seen 5-8 times per year.

'

• Upvote 2

The Alerus Center name is going to be on the turf because UND doesn't own the building. Get over it or pay for a new stadium. And they would have new turf whether UND helped pay for it or not, they just wouldn't have the same quality new turf. The Alerus Center had enough money to pay for new turf, they just weren't willing to pay for the same grade of new turf as UND wanted. The building is owned by the city of Grand Forks and is used for plenty of others. They have every right (including a legal right in the contract) to put their name on the field, why would they do something different.

I would be willing to bet that at least part of the reason that the interlocking ND isn't on the turf is because UND will have a new nickname and logo within a couple of years. No one knows whether anything will change for the football program as far as which logo they may use. But why would they put the ND logo on the field when there is at least a decent chance that they may have to change it again in a couple of years.

The really funny thing is that only a very select few could even tell you what is on the field, much less care about it, yet a few people on here get so upset about what is painted on a football field that will be seen 5-8 times per year.

'

i guess the reason why some people find the alerus center logos stupid is they are actually too big for tv!! they would get more visibility if they moved them to the hashes, made them smaller, and maybe even block scripted them for ease of viewing on tv....

• Upvote 1

'

Are you suggesting that a new version of the same steel wool AstroTurf surface would have been acceptable? Notice how the Fargo dome had enough tact to put a big ugly bison logo at the 50? The alerus just doesn't get it on some things.

• Upvote 1

Are you suggesting that a new version of the same steel wool AstroTurf surface would have been acceptable? Notice how the Fargo dome had enough tact to put a big ugly bison logo at the 50? The alerus just doesn't get it on some things.

would have loved to see howard swanson defend the first lawsuit from some 15 year old section 3 football player who got the first concussion on the alerus centers new indoor/outdoor carpet they picked up at teh carpet garage???