SiouxSports.com Forum

New turf at the Alerus

darell1976

The project is scheduled to be completed 1 week before the 1st game. As of 2 weeks ago they were on or ahead of schedule. I don't have a breakdown of when the pit was going to be done or the turf installation was going to start.

That's good news!!

• 1 month later...

You can watch a "live" feed of the installation of the turf. (I'm not sure how often the image updates or whether you have to refresh manually.) If you don't mind the obvious error, you can see it here: http://www.astroturf...ews.aspx?id=453 I'll try to find a direct link.

Astroturf is reusing the system they used for the FD, so the direct link name looks wrong even though it is the Alerus: http://www.astroturf.com/videos/fargodome.html

You can watch a "live" feed of the installation of the turf. (I'm not sure how often the image updates or whether you have to refresh manually.) If you don't mind the obvious error, you can see it here: http://www.astroturf...ews.aspx?id=453 I'll try to find a direct link.

Astroturf is reusing the system they used for the FD, so the direct link name looks wrong even though it is the Alerus: http://www.astroturf.../fargodome.html

Thanks for that link, I will be keeping a close eye on that page!

New installation pic!

acc33b8f.jpg

Looking at the picture, it doesn't look like the Alerus Center logos or the Big Sky logos are on the turf. Which leads me to believe they will be painted on. I am wondering if this still leaves the option to paint a logo at midfield.

That would be pretty cool!

Don't get your hopes up people. The logos are pre-made at their factory. Once the turf is installed they cut out where the logos go then sew them in.

e0f0c41c.jpg

The Alerus is using the same company that the Fargodome bought/installed the new turf in the Fargodome. From these pics of their installation, the logos were precut and laid out first. So I guess they could be cut out after, but that is not how they were done at the Fargodome so why would they do that at the Alerus? (Same company mind you).

I am hoping that they got so much negative response to the original design that they are redesigning the look of the field by just painting the logos on. I am just wondering if that is possble with this type of turf. I am hoping it is!

With this latest slight, I'm starting to feel strongly that the Alerus Center doesn't value Sioux football at all. We need a home that is ours and one that is excited to have us - one that will promote us and make us feel wanted. Combine this attitude with the rude crowd management people and you have a real unfriendly place. I wish we could leave and leave the Alerus to it's crappy concerts every other year and wedding receptions.

• Upvote 3

I know that many people have been on Alerus Center for not allowing the UND logo. But, Grand Forks got a nice deal with the Alerus Center naming rights. The new arena in Lincoln, NE just signed Pinnacle Bank's to a $11.25 million, 25-year naming rights deal. I believe that they will be hosting Husker basketball. The Alerus Center deal with Grand Forks is $7.2 million for 20 years. I would like to see the logo, but that is strictly a decision for Alerus Financial. I believe that Alerus Center naming rights runs through 2021.

Here is a list of other deals per http://journalstar.c...720f1535aa.html:

1.35 m/y - KFC Yum! Center, Louisville, Ky.: $13.5 million for 10 years

1.25 m/y - Comcast Center, Maryland, $25 million for 20 years

1.00 m/y - Sears Centre, Hoffman Estates, Ill.: $10 million for 10 years

0.93 m/y - CenturyLink Center, Omaha: $14 million for 15 years

0.76 m/y - Verizon Wireless Arena, Manchester, N.H.: $11.4 million for 15 years

0.56 m/y - Wells Fargo Arena, Des Moines, Iowa: $11.5 million for 20 years

0.50 m/y - United Spirit Arena, Texas Tech, $10 million for 20 years

0.50 m/y - Cox Pavilion, UNLV, $6 million for 12 years

0.46 m/y - Colonial Life Arena, South Carolina, $5.5 million for 12 years

0.45 m/y - Pinnacle Bank's, Lincoln, NE, $11.25 million for 25-year

0.36 m/y - Alerus Center, Grand Forks, N.D.: $7.2 million for 20 years

0.35 m/y - Intrust Bank Arena, Wichita, Kan.: $8.75 million for 25 years

0.31 m/y - Werner Park, Omaha, NE, $1.525 million for 5 years

0.30 m/y - Sovereign Center, Reading, Pa.: $9 million for 30 year

NOTE: The City of Fargo/Gate City deal is field naming rights for $1m. As part of that agreement, it must have allowed the NDSU logo. I am sure that the deal with Alerus Center included field naming rights and I don't believe that the UND logo has ever been at midfield in the Alerus Center. I believe that they allowed the Sioux name in the end zones and I believe that are allowing North Dakota in the end zones with the new field. But, adding the NDSU logo at midfield is new this year for the Fargo Dome.

Naming rights can get very interesting here are a series of articles about the recent Lincoln, NE naming agreement (NOTE: Pinnacle deal does not include Court naming rights):

http://journalstar.c...c7550fa3b5.html

http://journalstar.c...7eb83e8006.html

I know that many people have been on Alerus Center for not allowing the UND logo. But, Grand Forks got a nice deal with the Alerus Center naming rights. The new arena in Lincoln, NE just signed Pinnacle Bank's to a $11.25 million, 25-year naming rights deal. I believe that they will be hosting Husker basketball. The Alerus Center deal with Grand Forks is $7.2 million for 20 years. I would like to see the logo, but that is strictly a decision for Alerus. I believe that Alerus Center naming rights runs through 2021.

Here is a list of other deals per http://journalstar.c...720f1535aa.html:

1.35 m/y - KFC Yum! Center, Louisville, Ky.: $13.5 million for 10 years

1.25 m/y - Comcast Center, Maryland, $25 million for 20 years

1.00 m/y - Sears Centre, Hoffman Estates, Ill.: $10 million for 10 years

0.93 m/y - CenturyLink Center, Omaha: $14 million for 15 years

0.76 m/y - Verizon Wireless Arena, Manchester, N.H.: $11.4 million for 15 years

0.56 m/y - Wells Fargo Arena, Des Moines, Iowa: $11.5 million for 20 years

0.50 m/y - United Spirit Arena, Texas Tech, $10 million for 20 years

0.50 m/y - Cox Pavilion, UNLV, $6 million for 12 years

0.46 m/y - Colonial Life Arena, South Carolina, $5.5 million for 12 years

0.45 m/y - Pinnacle Bank's, Lincoln, NE, $11.25 million for 25-year

0.36 m/y - Alerus Center, Grand Forks, N.D.: $7.2 million for 20 years

0.35 m/y - Intrust Bank Arena, Wichita, Kan.: $8.75 million for 25 years

0.31 m/y - Werner Park, Omaha, NE, $1.525 million for 5 years

0.30 m/y - Sovereign Center, Reading, Pa.: $9 million for 30 year

NOTE: The NDSU deal is for field naming rights for $1m. I am sure that the deal with Alerus Center included field naming rights.

Naming rights can get very interesting here are a series of articles about the recent Lincoln, NE naming agreement (NOTE: Pinnacle deal does not include Court naming rights):

http://journalstar.c...c7550fa3b5.html

http://journalstar.c...7eb83e8006.html

Because you have the nameing rights to a field, court, building, whatever doe not mean that you DO NOT have to use the schools logo on the field, court, etc. Just look at Gate City Bank in Fargo. Grandted they have 2very large Gate City Bank logos on the new turf bu they also thought it was important to have the Bison logo on the turf as well. Why the Alerus Center did't feel that it was inportant to add the ND logo at midfield is beyond me. they owe a lot to UND and its football program. Without it, they would be deep in the red every year.

• Upvote 3

Because you have the nameing rights to a field, court, building, whatever doe not mean that you DO NOT have to use the schools logo on the field, court, etc. Just look at Gate City Bank in Fargo. Grandted they have 2very large Gate City Bank logos on the new turf bu they also thought it was important to have the Bison logo on the turf as well. Why the Alerus Center did't feel that it was inportant to add the ND logo at midfield is beyond me. they owe a lot to UND and its football program. Without it, they would be deep in the red every year.

The City of Grand Forks sold the naming rights to Alerus Financial. It is up to Alerus Financial to allow the logo. Sorry I was not clear about that in my previous post.

NOTE: I added some detail to my previous post to make it more clear.

As I pointed out before, UND is in the process of transitioning away from their nickname and logo. If the logos are sewn into the turf, and if UND will be choosing a new logo to implement in 2015, then it doesn't make any sense to put the ND logo into the turf. Especially at mid-field. Do you really want to be patching 3 year old turf if you don't have to?

And my guess is that the naming rights contract with Alerus Financial probably listed the logo at mid-field, so the Alerus Center itself had already committed to that and couldn't change it to UND. Remember, that contract was signed more than 10 years ago. The Alerus Center can't do what they want if something is listed in a contract.

OK, the original point of my post of the picture may have been lost. My point was the field is not being assembled the same way it was done in the Fargodome with the logos being installed first. Which leads me to believe they are being painted on. I am wondering why they decided to do this. My theory was they were redesigning the logos on the turf. Either making them smaller, moving them, or whatever. By painting them on that leaves the option open to paint on an ND logo or any other logo at a later date.