SiouxSports.com Forum

New turf at the Alerus

darell1976

The two schools pointed out have a logo at midfield NOW. That is my point I am making. Two schools we are familiar with within a state away both got new turf and have their logo at midfield. Do you see the point I am making? The facilities where those two schools play at were smart enough to recognize their biggest tenant and put their logo at midfield. Newsflash.....Dakota Dome and the Fargodome currently have their logo at midfield. Provide me with current examples. I think the new turf is great. Obviously an upgrade. But I guess I expected more.

Yes, I see the point you are making.

But as far as I'm concernced, you could put a picture of a naked lady on the 50 yard line and I'd still rather watch the football game being played on top of her...............

To me, it is kind of like everyone's enfatuation with black jerseys and helmets that are a slightly different shade of green. I really don't care as long as I'm watching good football.............

Yes, I see the point you are making.

But as far as I'm concernced, you could put a picture of a naked lady on the 50 yard line and I'd still rather watch the football game being played on top of her...............

To me, it is kind of like everyone's enfatuation with black jerseys and helmets that are a slightly different shade of green. I really don't care as long as I'm watching good football.............

My point exactly. Except that naked lady picture might help increase attendance, especially among teenage boys.

Yeah I suppose. Since the Fargodome had their name and some snowflakes on their turf since 1991, we shouldn't have 'UND' or 'ND' on ours.

Honestly, who cares who had what and when?

We are The University of North Dakota and we are installing turf NOW in 2012 as a FCS 1st year school in the Big Sky and it should have had a UND presence at mid-field, especially considering around 4 million will be spent on it. It doesn't and I'm disappointed. I feel like we missed an opportunity with it.

But it was in the contract and 3 parties were responsible for the negotiations, etc....I get it now.

I understand that a few of you on here don't care, but myself and others do. (sorry, my last post on this)

Don't give Montana ideas. They have enough problems of their own making already.

i've seen that one but its from four days ago just wondering what progress has been made....the oliver stone in me says that the alerus people are gonna give the people what they want at mid-field and when that install-cam gets turned on a "nd" will be at midfield?????

I came across this. Looks good.

http://www.valleynew...umble-at-alerus

In this clip it said that they were getting ready to put the rubber pellets down on the field. If that was the case, wouldn't make that very unlikely that they would be painting anything on the turf (say Alerus logo's)? Not to beat a dead horse....but it seems like there is a chance that there won't be any logos at midfield.

I've been wondering for a while if the Alerus logo was allowed by NCAA rules. Text is allowed if naming rights are purchased, but no corporate logos are allowed on the playing field. Just look at the new Fargodome turf. Gate City Bank is spelled out in simple text. The only place the logo occurs is between the sidelines and the wall, outside the playing field. To my untrained eye, the Alerus logo seems to be in a gray area. On the one hand, it's text. On the other hand, the blue "swoosh" could be considered their logo. The current absence of a midfield logo/text probably has nothing to do with the above, but it would be interesting to hear something from someone in authority.

I've been wondering for a while if the Alerus logo was allowed by NCAA rules. Text is allowed if naming rights are purchased, but no corporate logos are allowed on the playing field. Just look at the new Fargodome turf. Gate City Bank is spelled out in simple text. The only place the logo occurs is between the sidelines and the wall, outside the playing field. To my untrained eye, the Alerus logo seems to be in a gray area. On the one hand, it's text. On the other hand, the blue "swoosh" could be considered their logo. The current absence of a midfield logo/text probably has nothing to do with the above, but it would be interesting to hear something from someone in authority.

http://afboe.at/uplo...s-2011-2012.pdf

On page FR-16 Under Section 2,h,3

"If a commercial entity has purchased naming rights to the facility, that name is allowed to be painted on the field;

however, the commercial logo is not allowed to be in the field of play."

I would assume that since the "Alerus Center" is a commercial logo, it is not allowed to be on the field. Not sure why this was overlooked when the initial design came out.

Is that a new regulation? Last week someone posted pictures of the old Fargodome turf and the Fargodome pinwheel was at midfield. For the Alerus Center, the logo that was shown in mockups at the 50 yard line was for the Alerus Center itself, not for Alerus Financial. Therefore it would be different from the Gate City Bank naming rights. The logo for the Alerus Center would identify the building, not the naming sponsor, just like the old Fargodome turf.

Would this apply since the proposed field logo was the Alerus Center vs. Alerus Financial? The two are very similar, for obvious reasons.

http://afboe.at/uplo...s-2011-2012.pdf

On page FR-16 Under Section 2,h,3

"If a commercial entity has purchased naming rights to the facility, that name is allowed to be painted on the field;

however, the commercial logo is not allowed to be in the field of play."

Yep, that's where I got my info from. I was paraphrasing directly from the rulebook.

Is that a new regulation? Last week someone posted pictures of the old Fargodome turf and the Fargodome pinwheel was at midfield. For the Alerus Center, the logo that was shown in mockups at the 50 yard line was for the Alerus Center itself, not for Alerus Financial. Therefore it would be different from the Gate City Bank naming rights. The logo for the Alerus Center would identify the building, not the naming sponsor, just like the old Fargodome turf.

The Fargodome pinwheel was not advertising; it was simply the name of the facility. The Alerus is a different animal. The Alerus Center is called that because Alerus Financial paid naming rights for the facility; naming rights that included the field. You want to put "Alerus Center" on the field in simple text? No problem. You want to put on "Alerus Financial Field" in simple text? No problem. You want to use "Alerus" with the distinctive font and blue swoosh? I don't know if that's okay or not. That's why I called it a gray area. I realize that it was on the old turf, but I don't know if that's because the old turf predated the rule, it was checked and kosher, or it was against the rules but nobody checked or cared. That's why I would love to hear someone in authority comment on it.

The Fargodome pinwheel was not advertising; it was simply the name of the facility. The Alerus is a different animal. The Alerus Center is called that because Alerus Financial paid naming rights for the facility; naming rights that included the field. You want to put "Alerus Center" on the field in simple text? No problem. You want to put on "Alerus Financial Field" in simple text? No problem. You want to use "Alerus" with the distinctive font and blue swoosh? I don't know if that's okay or not. That's why I called it a gray area. I realize that it was on the old turf, but I don't know if that's because the old turf predated the rule, it was checked and kosher, or it was against the rules but nobody checked or cared. That's why I would love to hear someone in authority comment on it.

There is also a difference between Gate City Bank Field, or Gate City sponsoring the field, and using the Alerus Center name and logo. If it were Alerus Financial anything, it would definitely have to be in simple text according to that rule. It would be the same as the Gate City situation in Fargo. I believe that the Alerus Center logo being used would be more similar to the old field in the Fargodome with the name and pinwheel logo being used than it is to the Gate City situation with the new Fargodome turf. But I don't know if it fits within the regulation mentioned or not. Considering all of the communications between UND and the NCAA in the last couple of years I would guess that UND and the Alerus Center have figured out what they can and can't do.

There is also a difference between Gate City Bank Field, or Gate City sponsoring the field, and using the Alerus Center name and logo. If it were Alerus Financial anything, it would definitely have to be in simple text according to that rule. It would be the same as the Gate City situation in Fargo. I believe that the Alerus Center logo being used would be more similar to the old field in the Fargodome with the name and pinwheel logo being used than it is to the Gate City situation with the new Fargodome turf. But I don't know if it fits within the regulation mentioned or not. Considering all of the communications between UND and the NCAA in the last couple of years I would guess that UND and the Alerus Center have figured out what they can and can't do.

See, I'm wondering if it didn't come up when the field design was sent to Astroturf. Nobody would know better than them.