SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs RPI / DU vs Western Michigan

AZSIOUX

The UND/DU game was a battle, and the Sioux were fortunate to get the win.

But I think a re-match next weekend will be a very different game with a healthy Gregoire in the lineup. Either Trupp/Malone/Frattin or Gregoire/Knight/Hextall would be THE top line on 90% of college hockey teams.

It is pretty easy to bottle up one top line; I think the Pioneers will have trouble trying to match up with two.

I don't like the idea of facing DU again.

Let's face it... DU should have won that game. They played better than us for longer periods of time. They basically owned all but the last 5 minutes or so of the first OT.

They played Frattin as well as a team can.

I know we were without Gregoire but still...

I think we can go to the Championship game if we can get by DU... or if WMU pulls off a miracle and beats DU.

I don't think many people like the idea of the possibility of playing DU again, but Saturday was a rough game. Not to mention the five penalties that the Sioux received in the second period alone. Hextall's "cross-checking" penalty was questioned by nearly everyone. I've heard that even the media thought the DU player was going to get a penalty for diving. I know DU got away with some cheap calls and the Sioux had to battle through that.

If, and I'm not trying to think ahead two games (DU still has to get through Western Michigan as well), the Sioux play the Pios again the Sioux have to stay out of the box and they'll have to bring their 'A' game. DU is a good team, but they haven't seen the best of us.

I don't really like the idea of playing them again (if the Sioux beat RPI)...but the Sioux could have just as easily cashed 3 or 4 more opportunities on Saturday and it would have changed the whole complexion of the game. I feel like we took DU's best shot and still managed to get the W.

Leave it to the NCAA to put the top two teams from the same conference in the same bracket...(Yale/Union as well)

i agree....if knight scores on his chance to make it 3-1...the sioux win without ot!

• Upvote 1

I don't think many people like the idea of the possibility of playing DU again, but Saturday was a rough game. Not to mention the five penalties that the Sioux received in the second period alone. Hextall's "cross-checking" penalty was questioned by nearly everyone. I've heard that even the media thought the DU player was going to get a penalty for diving. I know DU got away with some cheap calls and the Sioux had to battle through that.

If, and I'm not trying to think ahead two games (DU still has to get through Western Michigan as well), the Sioux play the Pios again the Sioux have to stay out of the box and they'll have to bring their 'A' game. DU is a good team, but they haven't seen the best of us.

I think with some different bounces (anyone of Dell's great saves getting past him), the Sioux could have lost on Saturday. Friday's game was a war and that could have gone either way too. Truth be told, I'm thrilled that they were challenged in St. Paul after three weekends of playing some of the lower tiered teams in the WCHA (no offense to Bemidji St.). And they survived!

I've heard a lot of people on this board lamenting the fact that UND has something to prove (with BC, loss to Yale, etc). I certainly agree, but let's not forget Denver was the #1 seed last year and got bounced by RIT so they also have some unfinished business of their own.

If it's UND-Denver again this weekend I will be up all night on Saturday....the anticipation for that game will leave me nauseous. Very very, excited, hopeful, and confident, but nauseous.

Was thinking during Saturday's game that UND needed some of its forwards back. The whole roster has stepped up in the absence of injured players, but we started to see during games against better teams that the injured players are missed. Getting Gregoire back would be big of course, but also Rowney and /or Rodwell would help round out the lower lines. I have no idea of their status, but it would be nice to get at least one of them back.

Was thinking during Saturday's game that UND needed some of its forwards back. The whole roster has stepped up in the absence of injured players, but we started to see during games against better teams that the injured players are missed. Getting Gregoire back would be big of course, but also Rowney and /or Rodwell would help round out the lower lines. I have no idea of their status, but it would be nice to get at least one of them back.

Agreed on missing Gregoire. I think the Sioux PP was especially missing his presence.

I sure don't like the idea of playing DU again. We have trouble on the PP against overly agressive PK, which DU has. Gives our points no time to shoot. But both teams need to win for us to get to that point. Oh how I hate DU.

If you are sitting on the fence re: Green Bay...That's a lousy vantage point for watching the Sioux win their regional! Instead, get on Al Pearson's bus, travel in style with fellow Sioux fans, and watch the team live. Tix and transportation are $270. Bus leaves from the Ralph Friday morning at 8 a.m., returns Monday.

Dell was amazing and could have let one or two of those get by, but knight was robbed and trupp missed a wiiiide open net that could have made it 3-1. The "cross check" on chay that simpson sat for was terrible, frattin went to the box for getting slashed, no call when knight was tripped but then he goes to the box for a weak slash, chay getting tripped halfway thru OT...the Sioux had to battle thru a lot. Id love to see greg, rodwell, rowney get healthy...and move davidson onto the second line with gregs and knight

Dell was amazing and could have let one or two of those get by, but knight was robbed and trupp missed a wiiiide open net that could have made it 3-1. The "cross check" on chay that simpson sat for was terrible, frattin went to the box for getting slashed, no call when knight was tripped but then he goes to the box for a weak slash, chay getting tripped halfway thru OT...the Sioux had to battle thru a lot. Id love to see greg, rodwell, rowney get healthy...and move davidson onto the second line with gregs and knight

You are right on those near misses but on the other hand we cannot count on getting Davidson's and Kristo's goals to fall either. So in a way, that's a wash. Bounces do happen during games and who knows which team they will favor next time. But I agree with you, the Sioux did generate chances that were very close. Don't let Denver have more than it did, and convert on a few good chances and the Sioux should win. But Denver is a very good team so anything could happen. It will help if Gregoire can play.

I don't really like the idea of playing them again (if the Sioux beat RPI)...but the Sioux could have just as easily cashed 3 or 4 more opportunities on Saturday and it would have changed the whole complexion of the game. I feel like we took DU's best shot and still managed to get the W.

Leave it to the NCAA to put the top two teams from the same conference in the same bracket...(Yale/Union as well)

My thoughts exactly.

Not to mention the blatant missed call in the first ot on Denver having too many men of the ice...I mean, how do you miss that ? Can the refs not count ? It was obvious to most in the crowd and when I watched a replay of the game it was impossible not to catch it since you could see six attackers for Denver right in the screenshot...maybe I missed it and they pulled the goalie for awhile. :D

Very poorly officiated game. During regulation there were phantom penalties called, during ot they wouldn't call anything, even the obvious.

Last time we see WCHA refs this year. This is both good and bad. Good because the quality of officiating is poor and inconsistent, bad because at least we know what we are getting...some of the other conference refs may even be worse when it comes to a physical game being played which could be a problem.

Not to mention the blatant missed call in the first ot on Denver having too many men of the ice...I mean, how do you miss that ? Can the refs not count ? It was obvious to most in the crowd and when I watched a replay of the game it was impossible not to catch it since you could see six attackers for Denver right in the screenshot...maybe I missed it and they pulled the goalie for awhile. :D

Very poorly officiated game. During regulation there were phantom penalties called, during ot they wouldn't call anything, even the obvious.

Last time we see WCHA refs this year. This is both good and bad. Good because the quality of officiating is poor and inconsistent, bad because at least we know what we are getting...some of the other conference refs may even be worse when it comes to a physical game being played which could be a problem.

That was a really bad call and it was an obvious one that the ref looked at the DU player jumping onto the dasher as well.

Just figured I would ask since everyone assumes I am an NCAA Official.

I know you're not a WCHA officials, it would be unprofessional for you to be on this fan forum making an ass out of yourself. You're a just troll trying to get people to respond to you when we really want to talk about WCHA hockey and the NCAA's not wipe your drool off the laps of the WCHA officials.

IF we dont get out of green bya i hope western michigan does. Almost shed a tear watching this video

I was just going to post this as well. They also seem like a special bunch of guys. Makes us all remember how much we take for granted