SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs RPI / DU vs Western Michigan

AZSIOUX

You are right on those near misses but on the other hand we cannot count on getting Davidson's and Kristo's goals to fall either. So in a way, that's a wash. Bounces do happen during games and who knows which team they will favor next time. But I agree with you, the Sioux did generate chances that were very close. Don't let Denver have more than it did, and convert on a few good chances and the Sioux should win. But Denver is a very good team so anything could happen. It will help if Gregoire can play.

Very valid point. I'd like to give Davidson credit that he was trying to throw it off Brittain, but it was likely just a centering pass gone right...made up for his near OT winner.

The Kristo goal on the other hand, was pure fluke.

Very valid point. I'd like to give Davidson credit that he was trying to throw it off Brittain, but it was likely just a centering pass gone right...made up for his near OT winner.

The Kristo goal on the other hand, was pure fluke.

I disagree to a point. The Sioux put pressure on their goalie and made him make the saves...if UND is not pressuring Brittain constantly and getting traffic around him, there is no need for his D to come in and help out. To me the first two goals are a great example of getting pucks to the net and forcing the other team to make a play on them. The fact they went in might be lucky, but you see goals like these all the time. Shoot the puck, shoot the puck, shoot the puck!! :)

Just checked out RPI's website. Watched their reaction video that has some interviews with players and coaches.... They sure are talking like they know ALOT about the Sioux. Since he coached with Denver..... And the players played with some of them in jr's. Huh.... Sounds like they have us figured out.... ( using iPhone and can't figure out how to paste a link to video).

Just checked out RPI's website. Watched their reaction video that has some interviews with players and coaches.... They sure are talking like they know ALOT about the Sioux. Since he coached with Denver..... And the players played with some of them in jr's. Huh.... Sounds like they have us figured out.... ( using iPhone and can't figure out how to paste a link to video).

its been posted a couple times in this thread. i hope we end it in the first period on these guys tech style. 4 games!

That video with the Western Michigan players put a tear in my eye. Makes you step back and realize that when push comes to shove its just a game. And the sun will come up if the Sioux win or lose. :blush:

It may be a little cloudy on Monday though if they don't get to St. Paul.... :lol:

Why the neutral name if you aren't in some way affiliated with the league? Has your team become that big an embarassment for you?

Just because I am a fan of the league doesn't mean that I have to have a specific rooting interest for a specific team does it? Can't I just be a fan of the WCHA without having to have an affiliation or am wrong?

The West/Midwest side of the bracket is probably the toughest. West I see Boston College coming out of there. Midwest I think Denver will come out of the region just cause Denver is on an upswing and took it to UND in the Championship. Probably another OT or 2OT affair in the region. The East and Northeast regions could be a really tough pick. Midwest and West side winner probably takes the Championship. East region winner makes it to the Championship.

Just because I am a fan of the league doesn't mean that I have to have a specific rooting interest for a specific team does it? Can't I just be a fan of the WCHA without having to have an affiliation or am wrong?

No one would have a problem if you belong to all available team fan sites with exactly the same user ID. You never seem to give a direct or truthful answer when pressed which is why I now assume you are merely another Gopher troll who is now too embarassed to admit who his team is.

I think both UND and DU will have an officiating learning curve. Every time I have watched UND play in games without WCHA refs their agressive hard hitting style comes back to bite them. What is a good solid hit in the WCHA is seen as overkill in other conferences. I think it will be something we see both UND and DU struggle with throughout the weekend. If neither team falls asleep at the wheel (like UMD did against BSU) I don't think Western Michigan or RPI can handle rosters as deep as UND and DU. Just my thoughts though.

• Upvote 1

To be honest, I'm a bit surprised that UND and Denver are set into the same regional. I thought it could have been organized a little differently. Not really complaining though because the bracket is very fair overall. In fact, I think UND got the toughest bracket to play out of (you could make an argument for the West Region with CC and Michigan) But frankly I think UMD got the best spot of all the WCHA teams. Overall the Sioux have a good shot to get to the F4. I told my buddy the day we won the WCHA that the two teams I didn't want to play against in the regionals were BC and DU. Those two teams always play us tough, and seem to have had our number the past few seasons. Denver is tough but I feel the Sioux are slightly better this year. Once we get to the frozen four though- bring 'em on.

The only way RPI has a shot in this game is if UND shits their pants and plays the worst game of the season. This game is theirs to lose. The Sioux are deeper, more physical, faster, and bigger. RPI may keep it close for a period or two, but by the 3rd we should see a serious sioux advantage. I've watched quite a bit of Eastern hockey this year and outside of a couple of the top teams (BC and Merrimack) the level of intensity and skill isn't even close to the WCHA . We're going to grind them down in the first 20-30 minutes and by the 2nd half of the game should be skating circles around them. No offense to RPI but I'd be suprised if this wasn't a 5-0 type of game.

Even though I think DU is a better team, I am really hoping WMU wins this bout. I doubt it though.. I think we see DU pull this out and end up with another battle against the Pio's for a trip to St. Paul. Scary, because in my opinion they are the one team in the country that has the best shot to win against the Sioux.

I watched Michigan play the other day, and they seemed fairly athletic and well rounded.. In fact they remind me a bit of UMD, but they are playing much better hockey than the Bulldogs are right now. I would expect to see Michigan vs BC in the west. Hopefully Michigan wins... we all know how the Sioux handle the wolverines in the NCAA's.

I think the NCAA is trying to avoid an all WCHA frozen four again, because 5 teams are placed in 3 regionals... The NE regional could be interesting.. I haven't watched much of any of those teams, except for a couple of Merrimack games (wasn't really all that impressive) so I'm thinking Miami wins this one.

Duluth played poorly down the stretch in the WCHA. I'm not sure what happened to them, but the skill is there for them to make the frozen four. Although I think Duluth seems to be getting worn out... I've seen Yale play some games, and to be honest I think their goaltender has stolen a lot of wins for them this year against a moderately tough schedule at BEST. That being said, if he keeps that up, Rondeau could get Yale all the way to the title game. Sort of reminiscent of Ryan Miller and Mich St. a few years back. They don't impress me that much, so I think this one is in Duluth's hands. IF they should show up and play their phsyical/fast game, I think they can win vs Union and then Yale in the championship.

Soo... A North Dakota, Michigan, Minn-Duluth, Miami (OH) frozen four sounds pretty entertaining. Could be a little western biased, but the best teams are in the west this year. Although I really wouldn't mind getting the chance to see BC in the semi's and getting some revenge... that's always a GREAT game to watch too. Let's Go Sioux!

That video with the Western Michigan players put a tear in my eye. Makes you step back and realize that when push comes to shove its just a game. And the sun will come up if the Sioux win or lose. :blush:

It may be a little cloudy on Monday though if they don't get to St. Paul.... :lol:

Awesome video. Hard not to get choked up, especially if you are a parent and just want the best for your kids. The shot at 4:20 into the video says it all. Pretty impressive that a group of guys would come together and make a huge difference for this family.

Does anyone know what ESPN syndication channel may have the Sioux game on this weekend? Were down in the Southwest, so no local affiliate.

I agree with an earlier post that the game against RPI is theirs to lose. And if we play DU on Sunday, it's going to be a very tough and physical game

The Sioux power play was less than stellar, but it wasn't a won-or-done type of game and I'm sure we'll see a more energized and ready to go team this weekend. Having Gregoire back will be a huge boost...with trupp, frattinn, and gregoire on the ice...there a fun bunch to watch.

DU has had our number over the past 6 years in the playoffs, and it's our turn to return the favor!

Does anyone know what ESPN syndication channel may have the Sioux game on this weekend? Were down in the Southwest, so no local affiliate.

I agree with an earlier post that the game against RPI is theirs to lose. And if we play DU on Sunday, it's going to be a very tough and physical game

The Sioux power play was less than stellar, but it wasn't a won-or-done type of game and I'm sure we'll see a more energized and ready to go team this weekend. Having Gregoire back will be a huge boost...with trupp, frattinn, and gregoire on the ice...there a fun bunch to watch.

DU has had our number over the past 6 years in the playoffs, and it's our turn to return the favor!

Im not so clear on this either. I have seen its on ESPNU at 1:30. is that central time? so its delayed 1 hour? am i reading that right?

that's all great news for those of you who don't have to work. of all the start times they would have to be the 12:30 one. but on the flip side the sioux do have a pretty good record when I have to work and can't watch. so that being said Sioux win sat 5-2, DU beats Western Michigan 4-2 and we beat Denver on Sunday 4-2(jump out to a 3-0 lead early, hang on and Gregoire gets the empty netter to seal a trip to St. Paul).