SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

2 hours ago, siouxweet said:

Recruiting has become a complete mess.  It is now all about finding the 4 year role player instead of going after the best. 

With the portal, everyones recruiting will be subject to last minute pitch and yaw of who goes. I hate it, and I hate NIL even more. I believe the two will combine to be the death of college sports as we know it. Kids subject to parents and "agents" focused on income over all of the things that make college sports the best alternatives. Otherwise (stolen off twitter):

• Make them pay for strength and conditioning coaches.
  • Make them pay for nutritionists and meals
  • make them pay for rooms
  • make them pay tuition
  • they are all "cost of doing their business"
  • Upvote 2

Question does Coach Berry develop players ? Ness, Budy , Portz and Kunz were brought in because of them scoring in juniors , around a point per game , they come to und and flounder. They all can’t lose their scoring touch that fast can they? Chris Wilkie was in a scoring race work Boeser and came here couldn’t score transfers to Cc and bingo he’s a scorer. Maybe it’s Berry system. 

26 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Question does Coach Berry develop players ? Ness, Budy , Portz and Kunz were brought in because of them scoring in juniors , around a point per game , they come to und and flounder. They all can’t lose their scoring touch that fast can they? Chris Wilkie was in a scoring race work Boeser and came here couldn’t score transfers to Cc and bingo he’s a scorer. Maybe it’s Berry system. 

Don’t question berrys system. You’ll get lambgasted 

1 hour ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Kunz will be a bust.  

• Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Kunz will be a bust.  

And what do you base this upon Nostradamus? Chris VandeVelde played 2 years of juniors, and only had 3 goals and 6 assists for 9 points in 38 games his freshman year. He had a great career at UND and played in the NHL. Jackson Kunz is similarly framed, but only played 1 year of juniors, so he came in younger than VandeVelde. Kunz has 2 goals and 2 assists for 4 points in 38 games. Lee Goren, another big guy, struggled scoring his first year (3 goals and 13 assists) and also had a great career. I really would like to know what you based this opinion upon, and what experience you have in hockey that gives you that insight? If you have no insight other than being a keyboard warrior, please refrain from posting about players because they and their family also view this site and it is embarassing having to defend these types of posts. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

And what do you base this upon Nostradamus? Chris VandeVelde played 2 years of juniors, and only had 3 goals and 6 assists for 9 points in 38 games his freshman year. He had a great career at UND and played in the NHL. Jackson Kunz is similarly framed, but only played 1 year of juniors, so he came in younger than VandeVelde. Kunz has 2 goals and 2 assists for 4 points in 38 games. Lee Goren, another big guy, struggled scoring his first year (3 goals and 13 assists) and also had a great career. I really would like to know what you based this opinion upon, and what experience you have in hockey that gives you that insight? If you have no insight other than being a keyboard warrior, please refrain from posting about players because they and their family also view this site and it is embarassing having to defend these types of posts. 

Edit: Kunz has only played 17 games 

Berrys system sucks. He was only able to do anything good with an absolute 5 star team. Take that away he just doesn’t get the job done. I don’t know if it player development or recruiting or both where he fails. But this years crappy team is mostly on him.. and Driscoll 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

19 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I forgot to mention the transfers , Ford and Calder big scorers in the WCHA and now they forgot how to do just that. 

They were big scorers in the WCHA.  By moving to the NCHC they play a more difficult schedule so it should not be unexpected if they have a drop off in scoring.  Last year Ford and Calder combined for about a goal/game.  This year they have combined for around a half a goal/game. 
Having said that, neither of them are way off on points/game vs last year.  Ford has dropped from .903 to .773 and Calder 1.000 to .833.  
The most glaring drop off is in goals scored by Ford.  Last year 16 in 31 games, this year 3 in 22.  On the plus side he already has two more assists than last season. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

It’s the system we play

Yet we still have more goals than Duluth this year, and about 66 more over the last three years.  So is Sandelin’s system worse, even though he’s won Natty’s?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, skateshattrick said:

Basically the past two pages of this thread. Dude's on here taking shots on a keyboard with little to no actually insight on the situation.

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I guess that would mean you'd need to define "only able to do anything good" because the 2019-2020 was pretty dominant before COVID with a bunch of players who.... wait for it, wait for it.... DEVELOPED... into a really good team. Collin Adams, Jordan Kawaguchi, Kierstad, Mismash all feel like guys who developed really well in their time here. I'd say two league titles and a conference tournament title are things that are "anything good". 

That group of kids developed over time and became an incredible team. Add in a few big studs, you got a pretty magical team.

Give these kids time. It's insane how hard this fanbase swings. Absolutely blows my mind.

You are right about that squad. Perhaps in a couple years we’ll be back there. 

3 hours ago, skateshattrick said:

Guess I expected more out of the prodigy kid who committed as an eighth grader than just 4 points.

3 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Basically the past two pages of this thread. Dude's on here taking shots on a keyboard with little to no actually insight on the situation.

What shots have I taken othe than saying recruiting has been below sub par recently, the roster is full of role players and the pipeline has no high end players??