SiouxSports.com Forum

PairWise Rankings 2010

jimdahl

anybody know if the bu / vermont game today can move us up or down in the pwr?

I'm no expert and I don't claim to know much about pairwise, but I don't think it will. We have comparison wins against both of them and they're both quite a few spots below us, so I'm not sure how much of an impact it will have.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunday morning at 8:00 am and the Sioux are tied for 5th in the Pairwise!!

It's not immediately obvious what, but there's something wrong with USCHO.

SiouxSports.com PWR UND #6

CollegeHockeyNews PWR UND #6

Whelan PWR UND #6

Update -- USCHO pwr has been changed to agree with the rest of us around 8:35am CT. I have a printout of their incorrect rankings from earlier because I was trying to figure out what why they differed -- USCHO was incorrectly giving AA the win over Alaska, which (as readers of this thread know) would have been a big help to UND.

At this point we see:

1. DU vs 16. RIT (currently in first in Atlantic Hockey)

8. Yale vs 9. New Hampshire

4. SCSU vs 13. Ferris State

5. Bemidji State vs 12. UMD

3. Wisconsin vs 14. Northern Michigan

6. UND vs 11. Michigan State

2. Miami vs 15. Vermont

7. BC vs 10. Cornell

If you held by the rule of the highest seeds travel the least distance, then you have major attendance issues:

Putting DU in St Paul is correct, but you send 3 eastern teams to visit them at the X.

BY the rules you should send SCSU out to Worcester, but every team in that bracket would be WCHA or CCHA. Where putting SCSU, BSU and UMD all at the X would sell it out

I'm not even sure about hosting: Is the Albany bracket hosted by the ECAC again? Meaning not one particular team? SO either Yale or Cornell will be there?

IN Worcester you're going to want BC for sure, but you might settle for NH or Vt, again the brackets are fowled up.

There's a lot of hockey left, but it could get interesting for how the NCAA places these teams. Chances are there will be some pi$$ed off head coaches and ADs.

Ona side note, who do you rather play at home to go to the Final FIve? CC or MN...I think I like our odds better against CC again. I don't want to play our most heated rival, with the 5 at stake, and them being desperate to win 2 out of 3 or play golf.

On a side note, who do you rather play at home to go to the Final FIve? CC or MN...I think I like our odds better against CC again. I don't want to play our most heated rival, with the 5 at stake, and them being desperate to win 2 out of 3 or play golf.

I'd much rather play the Gophers and send them off to the fields to plant the corns. CC just played us two tight. CC will have the better shot at making the NCAA's with a first round play off win. The playoff atmosphere in The Ralph if we play the Gophers would be top shelf. It's always sweet to end the Gophers' season so why not again this year? Chances are, even if we lose the first round, heaven forbid, our recent play likely has us a berth locked up for the NCAA's.

Here's the deal on the first round. Tickets go on sale soon. Solid Sioux fans need to be them up fast before the Minnesota fans catch wind, if that is the way that the winds blow, that their boys will be at The Ralph.

They'll buy 'em up in droves if given the chance. Really no need for that. Folks, if you ain't got 'em, get your playoff tickets as soon as they go on sale. Monday or Tuesday I think.

I'd much rather play the Gophers and send them off to the fields to plant the corns. CC just played us two tight. CC will have the better shot at making the NCAA's with a first round play off win. The playoff atmosphere in The Ralph if we play the Gophers would be top shelf. It's always sweet to end the Gophers' season so why not again this year? Chances are, even if we lose the first round, heaven forbid, our recent play likely has us a berth locked up for the NCAA's.

Here's the deal on the first round. Tickets go on sale soon. Solid Sioux fans need to be them up fast before the Minnesota fans catch wind, if that is the way that the winds blow, that their boys will be at The Ralph.

They'll buy 'em up in droves if given the chance. Really no need for that. Folks, if you ain't got 'em, get your playoff tickets as soon as they go on sale. Monday or Tuesday I think.

Not to mention the students will be leaving for spring break, so a great chance for tickets...good ones!

Relax, the vast majority of Gopher fans are 'sure' they are hosting a home playoff game AND play Friday night at the X the weekend after. :)

I want CC. They never play good at the Ralph and even when they do win, it seems we outplay them. UM has been playing better as of late. And we did split the season series from them, where we swept CC at their place. I hope we avoid the play in game as well but if we dont, it would be fun to play the Gophs in the play in. That might set attendance records for that game.

I want CC. They never play good at the Ralph and even when they do win, it seems we outplay them. UM has been playing better as of late. And we did split the season series from them, where we swept CC at their place. I hope we avoid the play in game as well but if we dont, it would be fun to play the Gophs in the play in. That might set attendance records for that game.

Kangas has shown a tendency to play great at the X, but has been merely human at the Ralph. That might be something to consider.

anybody know if the bu / vermont game today can move us up or down in the pwr?

Won't directly impact us this week, but a Vermont win could keep them ahead in their comparison with St. Cloud. Those comparison losses to far lower ranked teams can be costly. It certainly helps open the door for the Sioux to get by them if we keep winning.

du,miami, and wisc comparisons are unflippable. bc,alaska and scsu can still be flipped. help needed to flip those: merrimack to become a TUC, BC to have less than a split this weekend against UNH, scsu to lose this weekend or next weekend and alaska to lose a couple of TUC games or to miami at the CCHA tournament(finishing third in the WCHA and playing and sweeping UAA would flip this as well).

fwiw, just to show how important one game can be:

If we don't come back to win the Friday CC game we would be 10th in pairwise.

On the other hand, if we would have held on to the 2 goal third period lead against Miami instead of a tie we would be a #1 seed right now (4th in pairwise).

Need a sweep this w/e.

It seems to me that usually the playoff games don't change the PWR that much. Good teams usually prevail over the weaker seeds.

very true for the most part if there arent any huge upsets. the most it changes is seedings of the top 12 teams and then the bubble teams at 13-14-15. they have to hope no bad team wins their conference tourney which would kock out bubble teams. if bemidji gets upset that will screw someone badly with bemidji being a lock already. in the past it was only the cha tourney winner who got in before bsu became much beter on the national scale

It seems to me that usually the playoff games don't change the PWR that much. Good teams usually prevail over the weaker seeds.

This is truer for the WCHA since more teams play four game series and more comparisons are lopsided. In the east where there are fewer head to head matchups, the playoff games can be decisive in flipping comparisons and have a much greater impact.

On a side note, if Vermont splits this weekend and Merrimack and UMass both sweep, Vermont will not even make the Hockey East playoffs, but have a decent shot at still getting into the NCAAs due to their Pairwise Ranking. That would be a shocking development.

This is truer for the WCHA since more teams play four game series and more comparisons are lopsided. In the east where there are fewer head to head matchups, the playoff games can be decisive in flipping comparisons and have a much greater impact.

On a side note, if Vermont splits this weekend and Merrimack and UMass both sweep, Vermont will not even make the Hockey East playoffs, but have a decent shot at still getting into the NCAAs due to their Pairwise Ranking. That would be a shocking development.

You can bet they will tweak the criteria if things were to play out that way.

It's really interesting to watch all of the possible NCAA matchups as we go along. INCH always has us in the West at the X, while the guy from USCHO always puts us elsewhere. The only problem with us Sioux fans traveling well, is that they know this and will put other WCHA teams closer to home for attendance. It would be nice if we could pack the X two weekends in a row though!

http://www.uscho.com/news/id,18271/Bracket...March32010.html

http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/2010/0...-second-notice/

It wouldn't be the first time something of this nature has happened. Didn't Denver win the national championship on a year that they missed the Final 5?

vermonts 2 wins vs BC, 1 win vs DENVER and DULUTH must be carrying them nicely as they are 2-2-3 in their last 7 games. if they dont win the series this weekend im guessing they drop out and not make the tourney. they dont have much room for error