SiouxSports.com Forum

PairWise Rankings 2010

jimdahl

It's really interesting to watch all of the possible NCAA matchups as we go along. INCH always has us in the West at the X, while the guy from USCHO always puts us elsewhere. The only problem with us Sioux fans traveling well, is that they know this and will put other WCHA teams closer to home for attendance. It would be nice if we could pack the X two weekends in a row though!

http://www.uscho.com/news/id,18271/Bracket...March32010.html

http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/2010/0...-second-notice/

Remember INCH is a projection of where they believe the brackets will be when they are announced.

USCHO (and CHN) projects the brackets if the season ended today.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember INCH is a projection of where they believe the brackets will be when they are announced.

USCHO (and CHN) projects the brackets if the season ended today.

yes thats correct. very different

UND must sweep Tech LIKELY

Mankato needs at least 1 point vs SCSU LIKELY

UNH needs at least 1 point vs BC LIKELY

Other games to watch

These outcomes seem to help the Sioux in the widest variety of scenarios (that is, not just those in which UND sweeps and is fighting for a #4 ranking):

Mankato sweeping SCSU SLIM CHANCE

Denver sweeping CC VERY POSSIBLE

Maine sweeping Mass MODERATELY POSSIBLE

Alabama-Huntsville sweeping Bemidji St UNLIKELY

UNH sweeping BC UNLIKELY(with BC still fighting for #1 or 2 Jerry will have his boys on point.)

We may move up after this weekend, but let's go out and leave no questions by pounding the puppies!!!

It wouldn't be the first time something of this nature has happened. Didn't Denver win the national championship on a year that they missed the Final 5?

Denver had a winning record in league play that year, so that makes it different IMO.

It seems to me that usually the playoff games don't change the PWR that much. Good teams usually prevail over the weaker seeds.

Another big deal about tournament time and its impact on PWR is that it's hard to fall too far because only winners keep playing. Once you lose one or two, you're done, so it's really hard to string together a big set of harmful losses. Given that those games tend to be against top competition, a serious dive in ranking is somewhat uncommon (though definitely possible).

It wouldn't be the first time something of this nature has happened. Didn't Denver win the national championship on a year that they missed the Final 5?

Huge difference. Denver made the league playoffs and lost in the first round. There is usually at least one team a year that this happens to and they still get in. Vermont would finish in 9th place in the scenario I mentioned. Only the top 8 make the hockey east playoffs. Yet because of the extreme parity in hockey east and Vermont's strong non-conference record their PWR will put them in the discussion.

Vermont's current league record is 9-10-6 that is, I believe, what he was refering to.

oh, my mistake. i thought he was replying to this post:

"It wouldn't be the first time something of this nature has happened. Didn't Denver win the national championship on a year that they missed the Final 5?"

that post was in reference to a post about und's chances in the national tourney if they didn't make the final five.

oh, my mistake. i thought he was replying to this post:

"It wouldn't be the first time something of this nature has happened. Didn't Denver win the national championship on a year that they missed the Final 5?"

that post was in reference to a post about und's chances in the national tourney if they didn't make the final five.

You are correct.

Currently tied for 5th with BC.

To take over the #4 spot in the PWR (which gets us a #1 seed), this needs to happen tomorrow:

-UND win (of course)

-BC loss to New Hampshire

-Make up the .0002 difference in RPI that Bemidji has over us right now

It is very possible to get a 1 seed ("FIRE HAK, CUT EIDSNESS, BENCH LAPOINT, FINISH FINISH FINISH, GET SOME SCORERS, etc") but still lots of time for things to change with conference tournaments in action next week.

Dropped to a tie for 8th right now with Yale. We'll have to make up ground in the playoffs since I don't think this weekend will do much for moving up based on tonight's results.

False, we're tied with SCSU in rpi and im not sure the reason they win that if we're tied but that would be our 18th comparison won moving us back up to 5th and we're only .0004 behind Bemidji in rpi which would give us that comparison as well. Also If we win and BC loses we get that comparison. And with a win and Alaska loss we might flip that as well im not sure.

False, we're tied with SCSU in rpi and im not sure the reason they win that if we're tied but that would be our 18th comparison won moving us back up to 5th and we're only .0004 behind Bemidji in rpi which would give us that comparison as well. Also If we win and BC loses we get that comparison. And with a win and Alaska loss we might flip that as well im not sure.

I'm not sure what you're claiming False to. Facts are facts: we are tied for 8th. All I'm saying is our best chances to move up in Pairwise is in playoffs. Beating Tech won't have much as an impact as beating some other teams we might face in playoffs.

I'm not sure what you're claiming False to. Facts are facts: we are tied for 8th. All I'm saying is our best chances to move up in Pairwise is in playoffs. Beating Tech won't have much as an impact as beating some other teams we might face in playoffs.

i believe he's saying false to: "I don't think this weekend will do much for moving up based on tonight's results"

technically, i guess he can't really say false to that since you did qualify it with "i don't think". however, with a win tonight and a few key wins in other match-ups, the sioux can still move back into the top 6 and possibly even into 4th.

besides, the game tonight is important no matter what since it will secure 4th in the wcha playoffs and possibly get us into 3rd (if msu beats the huskies as well).

UND could still get as high as a #3 seed overall - nudging out Wisconsin is still possible. Here's what it takes:

* UND has to basically win out, and beat WI somewhere along the way.

* UW has to lose to another TUC (Gophers on Sunday, or someone at the final five, or if they were to lose to Mankato in round 1).

I haven't constructed a scenario where UND gets to #1 overall or #2, but it would need to include 3 of our opponents all becoming TUC's:

* Merrimack (Sioux are 2-0) is at #27 this morning, .006 out of #25.

* Ohio State (Sioux are 1-0) is at #28, and

* MSU-Mankato (Sioux are 2-0 so far) is at #30, but only .008 out of the #25 spot.

If all three of those become TUC's (a real long shot, I admit), that adds 5-0 to the Sioux ledger and, combined with a scenario where we win out. But if even one becomes a TUC, it might be enough to nudge the Sioux up to a top-4 overall seed.

My dream scenario is the Sioux at the Xcel for the NCAA's. I think people would be surprised at how big the turnout would be - hear that NC$$? Lots of bucks, all you have to do is put the Sioux in St Paul ... Sioux fans travel better than anyone else ...

They should make the pairwise rankings into a college class. I mean, what do you think about "Understanding the Pairwise 305", or "Intro to Pairwise 110". Or even "Advanced placement Pairwise 310". Or even possibly a pairwise theory class. That would be fun.

I'm betting most college students would probably fail a pairwise class right now. I graduated four years ago, passed statistics, calc, and trig classes, and still can't comprehend the pairwise. :huh:

They should make the pairwise rankings into a college class. I mean, what do you think about "Understanding the Pairwise 305", or "Intro to Pairwise 110". Or even "Advanced placement Pairwise 310". Or even possibly a pairwise theory class. That would be fun.

I'm betting most college students would probably fail a pairwise class right now. I graduated four years ago, passed statistics, calc, and trig classes, and still can't comprehend the pairwise. :huh:

i agree. i have two degrees in computer science and mathematics and i still feel like this pairwise stuff is way over my head. maybe jim dahl could teach that class.

I'm betting most college students would probably fail a pairwise class right now. I graduated four years ago, passed statistics, calc, and trig classes, and still can't comprehend the pairwise. :blush:

Hell I will take that class. :)

I'm betting most college students would probably fail a pairwise class right now. I graduated four years ago, passed statistics, calc, and trig classes, and still can't comprehend the pairwise. :blush:

It'd be a 400 level class for sure.