SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux at Bulldogs

gfhockey

Amen.

yes AND the reality behind this trend is a philosophy.

And I don't want to be totally negative on this philosophy because it cleary has many merits, BUT risk analysis says that you need to stay agressive when the probabitity of good outcomes is greater than the probability of good outcomes when you work the "philosophy"

So here is some risk analysis the way I add it up:

1. Two of your best players (Vandy and Genoway) when it comes to working the "philosophy" are out but you still have all of your dynamic guys in the line-up.

There is an empty net and you have a one goal lead and there is 2 min left in the game. There will be a 6-4 in a minute and a half untiol EofR.

The best bet is to SCORE! Not prevent!!

2. On 2-1 rushes the Sioux are scoring at about 10% when the puck carrier into the zone shoots and when they lateral pass they are about 20% and when they do a drop back they are at about 70%.

3. and of course as FS forlife points out, the part of the philosophy that induces the mentality shift when there is a lead needs to go. and that ties into the first two points, especially number two, I see the Sioux make nifty passes in the offensive Zone WAY more before they get their lead.

Bottom line is we do not take enough calculated offensive risks, except when we are behind and the clock is winding down.

Other than that our team is very very good.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes AND the reality behind this trend is a philosophy.

And I don't want to be totally negative on this philosophy because it cleary has many merits, BUT risk analysis says that you need to stay agressive when the probabitity of good outcomes is greater than the probability of good outcomes when you work the "philosophy"

So here is some risk analysis the way I add it up:

1. Two of your best players (Vandy and Genoway) when it comes to working the "philosophy" are out but you still have all of your dynamic guys in the line-up.

There is an empty net and you have a one goal lead and there is 2 min left in the game. There will be a 6-4 in a minute and a half untiol EofR.

The best bet is to SCORE! Not prevent!!

2. On 2-1 rushes the Sioux are scoring at about 10% when the puck carrier into the zone shoots and when they lateral pass they are about 20% and when they do a drop back they are at about 70%.

3. and of course as FS forlife points out, the part of the philosophy that induces the mentality shift when there is a lead needs to go. and that ties into the first two points, especially number two, I see the Sioux make nifty passes in the offensive Zone WAY more before they get their lead.

Bottom line is we do not take enough calculated offensive risks, except when we are behind and the clock is winding down.

Other than that our team is very very good.

The Sioux are a very good team. They just seem to not be able to close a Saturday game or handle a 2 goal lead.

----

Oh is that considered 'whining'? ???

I get back to the FACT that UND has been the team to first gain a 2 goal lead in 9...NINE games so far this year and in NONE...zero of those games have they been able to push the lead to 3 goals...they have lost the 2 goal lead EVERY time. These are facts laid out by this team's play with a 2 goal lead. Not smoke and mirrors. This is not a nine game "coincidence", but a very strong trend! Not one time after establishing an early 2 goal lead has this team increased that lead...not once! So you can come with they're young, they're getting bent over by the refs, yadda yadda yadda. Not once!

Time for my warm milk and "Leave it to Beaver" re-runs.

An interesting point. I felt that watching tonight's game was a waste of time. They played well for the first two periods, then seemed to get into that "play defensively" mode that never seems to work for UND. At least not for the last nine seasons.

Come on, UND. When you've got a team down, how about a little killer instinct!

You and many here seem to think there's only one good team on the ice, and anything bad that happens to UND is obviously due to a Sioux screwup. News flash: sometimes the other guys are pretty good and the breaks make a difference in the outcome of the game. In this case, how the hell are you supposed to "create" a break like the puck going out of play but the refs not seeing it, with 30 seconds left, just before you score? Let Hak know, so he can pull that one out when he needs it next game.

Also, going back a few weeks, how do you "create" a break like the refs calling a penalty on the opponent and inadvertently putting the Sioux down a man? Because it happened, and the league admitted it privately.

When two good teams like Denver and UND, or Duluth and UND, go at it, sometimes those breaks will make a difference, and some of them you can't create.

Not to worry, though, when the Sioux are doing well in the Spring, you'll be there as though you had been the whole way -- In Hak We Trust -- and in fact the Sioux will be better because everyone here bitched about them after they got jobbed.

Here's the bottom line from Hak himself..."we need to find a killer instinct and start putting teams away", which to me means keep putting pressure on and scoring so things like a bad call or a bad break or a great play by your opponent only gets them closer, not sends it to OT or loses it.

And as far as your last comment, I will be there in the spring whether we're playing good or bad, and unlike you who apparently looks at the team through rose-colored glasses and sees all rainbows and candy canes, I'll be looking at things a little more realistically because I guarantee if this team doesn't figure out how to close out games with a lead there will be another New Hampshire around the bend come tournament time.

Here's the bottom line from Hak himself..."we need to find a killer instinct and start putting teams away", which to me means keep putting pressure on and scoring so things like a bad call or a bad break or a great play by your opponent only gets them closer, not sends it to OT or loses it.

And as far as your last comment, I will be there in the spring whether we're playing good or bad, and unlike you who apparently looks at the team through rose-colored glasses and sees all rainbows and candy canes, I'll be looking at things a little more realistically because I guarantee if this team doesn't figure out how to close out games with a lead there will be another New Hampshire around the bend come tournament time.

Exactly, it comes down to being clutch when it matters ( i.e. NCAA tournament) which we have not done and it is evident with all these frozen four appearances with Hak and no National Title to show for it.

And I think even though almost everyone is frustrated with this loss and UND's inability so far to handle a 2 goal lead that it isn't the end of the world for this team.

They just need get things figured out in regards to managing a 2 goal lead and playing much better overall on Saturdays.

I get back to the FACT that UND has been the team to first gain a 2 goal lead in 9...NINE games so far this year and in NONE...zero of those games have they been able to push the lead to 3 goals...they have lost the 2 goal lead EVERY time. These are facts laid out by this team's play with a 2 goal lead. Not smoke and mirrors. This is not a nine game "coincidence", but a very strong trend! Not one time after establishing an early 2 goal lead has this team increased that lead...not once!

?

Which box scores are you looking at? The following games have the Sioux getting out to a 2-goal lead and then increasing that:

Game 1 against Merrimack: Leading 2-0, Mack tied it at 2 in the 1st, then the Sioux scored 3 straight to win 5-2.

http://www.uscho.com/box/?date=20091009&am...nd&gender=m

Game 1 against UMN: Sioux get out to 2-0 lead in 2nd, then score two more to win 4-0.

http://www.uscho.com/box/?date=20091016&am...nd&gender=m

Game 1 against UAA: Sioux get out to 2-0 lead in 1st, then score 3 more goals to win 5-0.

http://www.uscho.com/box/?date=20091023&am...aa&gender=m

Game 2 against MTU: Sioux get behind 1-0 in 1st, then score 4 straight goals to win 4-1.

http://www.uscho.com/box/?date=20091107&am...tu&gender=m

Game 1 against SCSU: Sioux get out to 3-0 lead, SCSU cuts it to 3-2, Sioux win 4-2.

http://www.uscho.com/box/?date=20091113&am...nd&gender=m

We expect championship caliber play from the Sioux - not soft play in the 3rd - Come on Hak - get your team moving - I'm tired of waiting and having these kinds of issues in the first half of the year - time to produce.

They just got a split on the road against a high powered offensive and ranked team. They are ranked #3 at christmas (which is usually when they hit their stride) What issues are you talking about. These guys are playing good with room to improve. Its a young team and it will take time to create perfection. There should be no complaints, You should hope for road splits, especially against a good team like this.

I never got to see the game, so I am unable to say what I felt about the officiating. I did watch both Sioux/DU games, so I can say I don't at all trust WCHA officials. None the less, it's really hard to swallow a "contriversial" loss again. Especially when the outcome pushes us to 6th in the WCHA when a win would have put us tied for second. This team better have another good run after Christmas and next week again Wisconsin, or we are in some trouble.

On the bright side, with the WCHA top teams being SO close, it only takes a few sweeps to put us right back on top. I know you hope for sweeps at home and splits on the road, but this is the WCHA, which I believe to be the toughest and greatest league in college hockey by far. In this league splits away and sweeps at home won't cut it. YOU NEED WINS CONSISTANTLY. UND has not been capitalizing when they should. Regardless of good/bad officiating (which I personally believe is TERRIBLE officiating), we need to win and not give up these terrible loses.

Had to work again tonight...and what a nice way to finish a terrible night of work... ???

I said it before, I'll say it again...

This team has swept Merrimack and Michigan Tech. No one else. Championship teams know how to sweep. I don't care where the game is, who the opponent is, etc. When it comes down to the tournament, you need two sweeps. "Splits" in the tournament won't win you anything.

Which box scores are you looking at? The following games have the Sioux getting out to a 2-goal lead and then increasing that:

Game 1 against Merrimack: Leading 2-0, Mack tied it at 2 in the 1st, then the Sioux scored 3 straight to win 5-2.

Game 1 against UMN: Sioux get out to 2-0 lead in 2nd, then score two more to win 4-0.

Game 1 against UAA: Sioux get out to 2-0 lead in 1st, then score 3 more goals to win 5-0.

Game 2 against MTU: Sioux get behind 1-0 in 1st, then score 4 straight goals to win 4-1.

Game 1 against SCSU: Sioux get out to 3-0 lead, SCSU cuts it to 3-2, Sioux win 4-2.

In my angst last night, I forgot about the UMN, UAA, MTU games...my bad. Merrimack does count towards my point as UND did give up the initial 2 goal lead. The SCSU game you mention, you are correct to a certain point. We pushed lead from 2 to 3, then gave up a 3 goal lead, then gave up a 2 goal lead...at home!

So UND has given up a 2 goal lead in 9 of 12 games so far this season. I appreciate that brianvf corrected me. I feel a WHOLE lot better about how we play with a 2 goal lead now! ??? But at least it's not 100% of the time so I do stand corrected.

Dude get The FFFF off the bandwagon if u want

Trust me he's not a bandwagon type of guy. What he is is someone who understands that a 3 goal lead is safer than a 1 goal lead...statistically speaking.

Your math lesson for the day:

2-1=1

2+1=3

3>1

Two interesting comments by Ciskie before the start of the third period:

1. Campion likes to be the center of attention, and so far has not; that's the third period x factor.

2. Cheerleader doing spins screwing herself into the ice before the period begins: players hate the holes they make when they catch an edge on it.

Don't know if it was Campion that got whistle happy late in the third, but, if it was, appears that Ciskie was correct.

The Duluth player that fell when McWilliams was given the tripping penalty appeared to be in the exact cheerleader spinorama spot; the replay shows McWilliams was closest to the Dog player when he fell, but never touched him with his stick or anything else. Whoever made that call was guessing, as they couldn't have seen what they called.

My parents just got back up from the bar in the hotel and my dad said that 4 people were in agreement that Vandy may have been benched and Hakstol is trying to send him a message.I personally find that hard to believe.

The TV guys said he skated at the morning skate on Saturday morning. Maybe it's not very serious.

Two interesting comments by Ciskie before the start of the third period:

1. Campion likes to be the center of attention, and so far has not; that's the third period x factor.

2. Cheerleader doing spins screwing herself into the ice before the period begins: players hate the holes they make when they catch an edge on it.

Ciskie is right in this situation. Campion went from being one of the better refs to in the same category as Zelkin, God Awful.

I get back to the FACT that UND has been the team to first gain a 2 goal lead in 9...NINE games so far this year and in NONE...zero of those games have they been able to push the lead to 3 goals...they have lost the 2 goal lead EVERY time. These are facts laid out by this team's play with a 2 goal lead. Not smoke and mirrors. This is not a nine game "coincidence", but a very strong trend! Not one time after establishing an early 2 goal lead has this team increased that lead...not once! So you can come with they're young, they're getting bent over by the refs, yadda yadda yadda. Not once!

Time for my warm milk and "Leave it to Beaver" re-runs.

Well, at least they took a one goal lead and pushed it to two...