SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX@MAVERICKS

siouxweet

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please tell me that someone captured vids for the Sioux goals tonight...

I would love to see them, especially the VV SH GWG with only 9 sec left.

Ole!

Yes me to. And include the fight at the end, even if it was nothing.

I think Red Frog will do it, he is usually pretty good with these things. Plz Red Frog :ohmy:

The Sioux played good and very strong in the 3rd period. Scoring on the last three power plays and a man short was impressive. Once again, they demonstrated that they have the talent, and that with the puck on the right sticks good things can happen. With all the power play opportunities, presumably based on the game being called somewhat tighter, the sooner the team can master that part of thier game the more successful they will be. Had the opportunity to watch two games side by side tonite and l watched SCSU get swept by the goofs. The huskies too were bit by the lack of power play conversions. I think for the weekend their pp numbers were nearly as bad as ours.

I am also optimistic based on who scored the goals: Kozek, Duncan, VV...these guys are supposed to be scoring. Throw in a goal for the hardest working man onthe ice and there you go.

Were Watkins and Toews scratches tonight? I didn't see Watkins out there, maybe he's banged up?

Eidsness I think just earned himself the Fri night start against UW.

Speaking of UW...I think both them and DU have bigger goaltending "issues" than the Sioux. None of the goalies in the DU/UW series could stop a beach ball this weekend. After last night's 6-5 game, it's already 5-3 DU in the 2nd tonight.

I hope we get to S.C. quickly...

I am also optimistic based on who scored the goals: Kozek, Duncan, VV...these guys are supposed to be scoring. Throw in a goal for the hardest working man onthe ice and there you go.

Were Watkins and Toews scratches tonight? I didn't see Watkins out there, maybe he's banged up?

Hak made the comment that Finley and Watkins were out with injuries? I think Toews was a healthy scratch, but not sure since he was out with an injury last weekend.

Yes me to. And include the fight at the end, even if it was nothing.

I think Red Frog will do it, he is usually pretty good with these things. Plz Red Frog :ohmy:

I hope he was able to watch it...but with no internet coverage, the only way to see may be if you get it through Comcast or Charter mainstreet. Hopefully someone gets a grainy cellphone video of it...maybe later on youtube. I have Hennesy's call of the GWG, and Hak's comments I'll post a little later.

What a game! What a weekend. Even with the split, we had a hell of a time.

I think that third period could be one we look back at as a time the boys gained a ton of heart.

Even with a split, the Sioux faithful chanted Ole as we exited the building. See you next year Mankato!

Hak made the comment that Finley and Watkins were out with injuries? I think Toews was a healthy scratch, but not sure since he was out with an injury last weekend.

Toews played Friday and I saw him walking around on Saturday. Maybe it's just me but I wish the guys that are a scratch should sit together and watch the game rather than walking around during it.

3rd period was fun last night. I was glad to have the Mav fans silent that surrounded me. Didn't like all the beer bottles that were thrown after the game.

Yep, this one had all the makings...

As the horn sounded, and the mini brawl started...Then came the bottles, finally I had to remind myself Oh ya, were in Mankato...

Classy Fans, real classy...

Great Win Boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This win made every second of last nights game worth it!

Go Sioux

What's the old saying about glass houses? I'm by no means a fan of Mankato,but I seem to remember a game in the Ralph last winter where many bottles were also thrown on the ice...

I'm very pleased that the boys were able to gut out a big win. The big guns scored, and that's what we need. We still have a lot of work to do in building up a cohesive unit, but last night was a start. Hopefully they can build this win into a great two weeks of practice and come out flying against sconny!

What's the old saying about glass houses? I'm by no means a fan of Mankato,but I seem to remember a game in the Ralph last winter where many bottles were also thrown on the ice...

I'm very pleased that the boys were able to gut out a big win. The big guns scored, and that's what we need. We still have a lot of work to do in building up a cohesive unit, but last night was a start. Hopefully they can build this win into a great two weeks of practice and come out flying against sconny!

I didn't know that about the beer bottles at the REA. That's too bad that has to happen anywhere. I just didn't like the shower of beer being sprayed on me as the bottles flew over my head. 3rd period felt good and it was fun to see the Sioux fans start to get back into the game too. Looking forward to seeing them again in GF.

First chance to see the Sioux live last night, and I found myself wondering where the 0-3 team was. While the opening period could well have been a draw, a series of misplays on the first Maverick goal was the only reminder all night long of pylon defense (LaPoint was just brutal on that goal, didn't take the puck carrier and didn't stop the pass across; just pick one and give Eidsness at least a chance).

The second period we started getting quality chance after quality chance, and really deserved better than 0-2. Mankato's second goal was a beauty, tic-tac-toe with the extra pass across the goal mouth to a wide open Bruess. That play was unfortunately set up by a bad clearing attempt from Blood; if he gets the clear, the Sioux can change and perhaps the goal doesn't happen. I chalked it up to a rookie learning opportunity. Later in the period, we all started saying "this smells like a goal", as the powerplay chances kept getting better and better.

That said, Mankato had a bunch of chances on their powerplays. Their disallowed goal, the potential 3rd, would have been a backbreaker. Watching it live, I thought they would count it. Clearly the Mav (forget the number) interfered with Eidsness and preceded the puck. But with a Sioux defender on his back, that has traditionally been allowed in the WCHA. Last night, however, they disallowed it. If this means they've fundamentally changed how they rule on man-pushed-into-the-crease goals, I like that interpretation. If the standard hasn't changed, then I'd say they blew the call because the Sioux defender (Jones?) was pretty clearly all over the man in the crease. Does anyone know if that's one of the rule/interpretation changes?

In the 3rd period, the Sioux appeared anything but down; if anything they skated better than the 2nd. We actually got to see a few stretches of 5x5, and I liked what I saw. Still, there was one sequence where the Sioux, down 4x5 had Blood, LaPoint, Gregoire and Zajac on the ice which made me nervous, even though it was MSU's 2nd PP unit. The key was hustle that led to powerplay opps; Duncan drew the one that led to the first goal.

Kozek's top-shelf wrister from in close was a thing of beauty. Maybe Zacharias had just a moment's hesitation when he saw it was Kozek firing point blank, and remembering the rocket that Kozek blasted off his helmet in the 2nd period, or the 2-3 others that he just managed to nick off with his blocker.

The 2nd goal was Duncan down low (just below the Duncan Angle) and looking for Vandevelde at the goal mouth, but it nicked of Youds' stick and fooled Zacharias. This was the break we needed.

The 3rd goal was another pretty cross-rink pass and Martens nailed it. Give credit to Duncan and the first PP unit for stretching the PK box all over on that one ... they were running around pretty good.

Mankato's 3rd goal was a wrister from between the right faceoff circle and the blue line. We were sitting along the line of flight of the shot, and Bruess's attempt looked to go off a Sioux defender stick, which is why it fooled Eidsness. Still, a groaner of a goal.

Duncan's penalty with 1:30 left was definitely a bonehead move ... we were all saying "don't do it, don't do it" as he tried to get his stick on the puck as the D circled behind his own net. That said, he competed really hard all night. But if MSU had scored the game-winner with the "C" in the box, it would have been a really tough way to end the game.

Instead however, Vandevelde with one of the best "rope a dope" rushes I've seen in a long LONG time. With MSU overloaded on the left side (of Eidsness) the rebound came to VV on the right side. He had to beat just one guy to get to center, and casually strolled up the right hand boards, which caused the Mav's D Davis and Kilburg to think he'd just tap it deep and we'd go to OT. Instead, VV turned on the jets, Davis was caught flatfooted, his partner Kilburg was spectating and neither got back to stop VV from turning the corner with lots of room to maneuver in front of Zacharias.

Overall assessments:

* I thought Genoway was head and shoulders the best player on the ice. He logged a ton of minutes, and anytime MSU got a bit of pressure, he'd just beat 1 or 2 guys and bring it up himself. On the powerplay, where he could wheel at will, he made consistently outstanding choices, leading to lots of zone time. I give him the #1 star.

* I'd give Duncan the #2 star, despite the bonehead penalty. He created chance after chance (and MSU let him keep firing from the right faceoff dot, which was a mystery), drew penalties, and was the Duncan we've come to expect.

* VV would be my #3 star. He didn't have a great night on faceoffs (13-14), but won a number of key draws early (on the 3x5, and other 4x5 in the first period). When the other guys have to go back 200 feet, it makes PK a lot easier. He is a force down low, and one of the reasons MSU didn't get much pressure even strength.

* We really REALLY missed Finley. The D corps without him managed to hold it together, but its a huge difference to put Blood or LaPoint on the PK instead of big Joe. Blood is a powerful, agile skater, who will be a good one down the line. For now, he looks a bit slow to react in reading plays (like basically every freshman defenseman I've seen except Brian Lee). Marto and LaPoint haven't progressed as much as I'd have liked to see, but again they were put in some tough spots this weekend. Fienhage didn't see as much ice time last night as it seemed he'd gotten earlier, but he was OK, playing a straightforward game - be in the right position and make the simple first pass. Jones was a rock, and again, the straightforward game PLUS some big hits.

* Up front, it was really hard to see the lines because the da## game was never 5x5. If you made me recite the lines from just watching the game (not reading a line chart) I can't say who was with who. If the year turns into 20 pp per game, then it will be everybody needs to play with everybody. Trupp was as advertised, quicker and stronger; he'll be one of the league's best PK men this year. Malone looks quicker than last year and is still a powerful guy in the corners. Miller had an up and down night. Frattin was relatively invisible, despite being listed on the #1 line.

* If the season turns into an endless string of powerplays, it favors the Sioux. I can't see us generating a lot of 5x5 goals. But 5x4 we'll be good. The first PP unit was in great form last night. The 2nd needs some work but has potential. On the PK, I'll put our top 4 D and 6 F against anyone in the nation.

* As others have noted, a lot of passes behind guys. Makes me wonder whether practices have really been at "game speed" or at 3/4 speed; something that needs work.

* Too early yet to see whether this team will be in the top-half or the bottom-half of the WCHA. We'll need a lot of things to improve to contend. I think Mankato is a top-3 team in the WCHA. They have rock-solid goaltending, experienced and strong D, and a PP that can put goals away.

* I thought I would hate the new "no changing lines on icings" but what it means is that teams have to be creative in getting out of a pickle instead of just banging it off the glass. I think we only took 2 icings all night. I think that rule change helps a team like UND.

* Last, kudos on the Sioux fan turnout. Another road game with 10-15% of the building in green and white.

I'll stop now.

How do you get goaltender interference at the 20:00 mark of the 3rd when the puck was near center ice when at the buzzer?

With about 3 seconds left, Eidsness came out of the crease to shoot the puck forward (why not just bang it into the corner?) and The Rat ran into him full speed. Along with Irwin getting checked into the boards by a Sioux player at the horn, that was one of the two incidents that caused the skirmish.