SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX@MAVERICKS

siouxweet

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we got our split in this series, which is what we probably should have expected when looking at the schedule before the season starts. Wisconsin sounds like they're having some defensive issues, so let's keep piling on the goals and get 4 points next weekend.

make that 2 weekends as the sioux have a bye next weekend but you are correct. they let in many goals vs DU. lets get joe and david toews healthy and get back to .500 !

I felt like I saw a lot of missed opportunities on power plays this weekend so I looked back to last year's first WCHA weekend. Given the same number of games I found the comparison interesting. Last year WCHA teams converted 16 of 107 power plays or about 15%. This weekend those same teams converted on 24 of 138 or about 17.4% - actually better than last year. However, the fact is that their were 31 or 29% more power plays this year. In terms of penalties, last year their were 141 compared to 179 this weekend. Again, about 38 or 27% more than the previous year. Of the goals scored, last year 32% came from the power play, this year 34.8% were off the same, a marginal increase. As a conference, the WCHA's save percentage slipped from 91.1% last year to 89.8% this year. Interesting numbers; whether or not every weekend will see an increase of power plays by 30% per game remains to be seen. However, if so, special teams have an opportunity to impact our game more than ever before.

I didn't know that about the beer bottles at the REA. That's too bad that has to happen anywhere. I just didn't like the shower of beer being sprayed on me as the bottles flew over my head. 3rd period felt good and it was fun to see the Sioux fans start to get back into the game too. Looking forward to seeing them again in GF.

I don't think it was beer bottles, but rather coke bottles. Still, it wasn't the proudest moment of last year. I think it was against the Gophers but I could be wrong.

I don't think it was beer bottles, but rather coke bottles. Still, it wasn't the proudest moment of last year. I think it was against the Gophers but I could be wrong.

I think that was down in my section. It was getting pretty heated. I know I felt like throwing something at the glass at some points in that game, but I restrained myself.

Farce, Thanks for the really detailed breakdown of last nights game.

Very cool!

Maybe I will take some notes when the Sioux play in the Springs in three weeks to repay the favor.

Of course I cannot guarantee that it will be as well done.

...hey does anyone have an idea if there is any video of the VV goal last night that might find its way onto youtube?

I know there wasn't even a web cast but is there video taken by anyone? TV news, etc.??

I am curious if anyone who was there could give an overall assessment of this years goaltending. It seems to be an issue early on paper, but like others have stated SHOTS dont always tell the story.

I've only seen 3 games(1 on TV, the other 2 webcasts), but after last night I would say the Eidsness took a step forward ahead of Walski. He kept us in the game on a ton of chances and the 3 goals he allowed he didn't have a prayer on any of them.

Eidsness should get the nod Friday night against Wisconsin IMO.

Duncan's penalty with 1:30 left was definitely a bonehead move ... we were all saying "don't do it, don't do it" as he tried to get his stick on the puck as the D circled behind his own net. That said, he competed really hard all night. But if MSU had scored the game-winner with the "C" in the box, it would have been a really tough way to end the game.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Watching the replays on TV it looked like Duncan was just following the Mav player around the net, reaching toward the puck, and the Mav player lost an edge and went down. I can understand how it looked like a hook at full speed, but it didn't look like Duncan actually make a move on the player's body to pull him down.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Watching the replays on TV it looked like Duncan was just following the Mav player around the net, reaching toward the puck, and the Mav player lost an edge and went down. I can understand how it looked like a hook at full speed, but it didn't look like Duncan actually make a move on the player's body to pull him down.

It happened in front of the section I was sitting and I believe you're right. It was definitely not a hook, if it was anything it was an unintentional trip with a bit of Robbie Earl thrown in for good measure.

In terms of the goaltending, after watching the weekends games, I think that Eidsness played with more confidence than in his previous outings. Unfortunately, I thought that Walski played with a little less. I don't think that Walski is a bad tender - over the past couple of outings he made some solid one on one stops. I do think that they make a very good pair. Not sure you have to have one horse for the entire show - we should have seen where that got us last year! The biggest difference that I saw this weekend was that on Saturday night our defense was blocking shots! Not sure what the stat was, but by far and away it looked like a minority of the shots got to Eidsness. If our defense plays with that mentality night in and night out I don't think our tender issue will be as challenging as we thought. However, having said all that, I do think that our offense has to average at least 3 goals a game.

I'm glad we have this weekend off it will give the guys some more time to gel together as passes were still of a bit. I am very pleased with last night if not a little surprised as third period comebacks are not common in the Hakstol regime this only being the 4th I believe. BE IMHO earned the start next friday against the badgers. this was a start in the right direction and hopefully they can build off it. it might be early to say this but the two games against the badgers are going to be huge, we can't continue are recent woes against the badgers at the ralph 0-4-1 in the last five. the old saying goes split ont he road and sweep at home. we've done the road part(WCHA play anyway) now let's work on doing the home part.

It happened in front of the section I was sitting and I believe you're right. It was definitely not a hook, if it was anything it was an unintentional trip with a bit of Robbie Earl thrown in for good measure.

BGA41 and Sioux-cia, I agree with the substance of your comments, which is that Duncan didn't really DO anything to knock the guy down. But it was the kind of play that gets called every time ...

congrats coach hakstol and the team for a hard earned well deserved win. replaying the game in my mind makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. makes me want to hug my laptop. appreciate your comments farce. makes me feel like i was at the game but wasn't. onward and upward boys. keep on chop'n!

BGA41 and Sioux-cia, I agree with the substance of your comments, which is that Duncan didn't really DO anything to knock the guy down. But it was the kind of play that gets called every time ...

You're exactly right. It's unfortunate, though, because I can't blame the ref for making the call, but I can't blame Duncan for giving himself the body positioning that he did.

You're exactly right. It's unfortunate, though, because I can't blame the ref for making the call, but I can't blame Duncan for giving himself the body positioning that he did.

Absolutely!!

I don't know if it was shown on the tele last night but as Hak left the ice last night, he gave the Sioux fans the fist pump in the air!! It's always nice to see the Coach show some real emotion!

I wasn't there, didn't see it. But in that situation (tied near the end of the game) the official needs to be sure that there was an actual trip rather than just using the force to make his call.

Come to think of it they need to be sure on every call.

Just because someone falls down doesn't mean that there was a rule violation.

Anybody else notice anything different about Duncan's reaction after scoring the tying goal? He usually scores and hardly even celebrates with maybe a little fist pump or something but how bout his reaction saturday. I think he was relieved he scored not only because it was to tie the game but also because he feels he's got to be the real leader of this team not only in the locker room but on the scoresheet as well. Thought?

Anybody else notice anything different about Duncan's reaction after scoring the tying goal? He usually scores and hardly even celebrates with maybe a little fist pump or something but how bout his reaction saturday. I think he was relieved he scored not only because it was to tie the game but also because he feels he's got to be the real leader of this team not only in the locker room but on the scoresheet as well. Thought?

I never got to watch the game on Saturday. Was hopeing someone had video of it so i could watch the game or at least see the goals on youtube or something. But I have always been impressed with Dunc an as he is ussually the humble leader. I also have never really seen him do any huge celebrations so it would be interesting to watch.

The first thing I thought of when I saw Ryan celebrate his goal was "WOW! Thats some emotion coming from him!" I was very happy to see it, not only because it tied up the game, but it looked like the guys all had some fire in them. Show some emotion and excitement and get the team and crowd pumped up!

Speaking of emotion...at the end of the game, with the coaches walking off the ice, Hak looked over towards our section and raised both arms in the air and gave a fist pump. That was AWESOME! Nice to see that from him.

The first thing I thought of when I saw Ryan celebrate his goal was "WOW! Thats some emotion coming from him!" I was very happy to see it, not only because it tied up the game, but it looked like the guys all had some fire in them. Show some emotion and excitement and get the team and crowd pumped up!

Speaking of emotion...at the end of the game, with the coaches walking off the ice, Hak looked over towards our section and raised both arms in the air and gave a fist pump. That was AWESOME! Nice to see that from him.

That is always nice to see in the stands. He did that last year too, after the Saturday win. Or maybe he was just saluting NDH. :D

make that 2 weekends as the sioux have a bye next weekend but you are correct. they let in many goals vs DU. lets get joe and david toews healthy and get back to .500 !

Now is the time to get well then get ready for the BADgers. I think the Sioux are getting them at the right time.

Now is the time to get well then get ready for the BADgers. I think the Sioux are getting them at the right time.

Depending on what happens this weekend with the Gophers and Badgers, I might tend to think just the opposite. I don't like to be playing desperate teams, especially if they have talent. Wisconsin has one of the best defensive groups in the country, so once they get back to playing the type of defense they usually do, they will be dangerous. Hopefully they take out their frustrations on Minnesota and not us.