SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

That's the way I remember it when he was here. But now I here Paul Allen and NHL announcers saying "Pa REES ay." Either Zach has changed the pronunciation (ala Joe Theisman), we had it wrong all along, or the announcers don't have a clue.

JP's name was usually pronounced "Pa REE zay," I believe, and I would guess that most NHL announcers are familiar with that.

Tough break for Matt Frattin as he was playing extremely well for the Marlies and will be a restricted free agent this summer.

Via TSN's Darren Dreger on twitter:

Marlies forward Matt Frattin is done for the playoffs. Knee injury.

Frattin will require knee surgery. Unclear how long rehab will take.

Tough break for Matt Frattin as he was playing extremely well for the Marlies and will be a restricted free agent this summer.

Get well Matty....you have a bright future ahead of you!

Would being a restricted free agent be a good or bad think for Frattin?

I would say good, he can almost be guaranteed a 1-way NHL contract that way. If Toronto wants to keep him, they have to match all offers from other teams.

I would say good, he can almost be guaranteed a 1-way NHL contract that way. If Toronto wants to keep him, they have to match all offers from other teams.

Yeah, definitely a good thing, depending on the severity of the injury. All in all, I would say he gets to see what he is really worth.

It probably depends on the extent of the injury. If he isn't severely injured it would be good for him. There would probably be several teams with some interest. But if the injury is severe it isn't going to help at all. There probably won't be any other teams interested so Toronto can offer whatever it wants.

Great feature story just posted on the UND homepage about our three alumni playing for Lord Stanley's Cup. Even though it is not credited to him, I have it on good authority that it was written by our very own (but seldom seen) Pseudo Reporter -- PCM.

http://und.edu/featu...stanley-cup.cfm

Because it's the Cup!

Just think what he could do if he got promoted to real reporter. ;)

Just a passing observation, but is Parise on pace to become the best US-Born "Runner-Up"...

2nd in the NCAA's in 2005,

2nd in the Olympics in 2010,

2nd in the Stanley Cup Finals in 2012??

(Not sure on his High-School hockey track record while at Shattucks, maybe someone can fill me in).

I am obviously a huge fan, and I think we all enjoyed watching him play while he was here, and hopefully one day he breaks this current streak...I wonder if anyone else has come so close so many times...

Just a passing observation, but is Parise on pace to become the best US-Born "Runner-Up"...

(Not sure on his High-School hockey track record while at Shattucks, maybe someone can fill me in).

I am obviously a huge fan, and I think we all enjoyed watching him play while he was here, and hopefully one day he breaks this current streak...I wonder if anyone else has come so close so many times...

Zach Parise

TEAM USA EXPERIENCE:

2007-08: Appeared in all seven games for Team USA at the 2008 IIHF World Men’s Championship … Tallied five goals and three assists … Second on team in goals (5). 2006-07: Appeared in one game with the U.S. Men’s National Team at the 2007 IIHF World Men’s Championship. 2004-05: Recorded two assists in three games for the U.S. Men’s National Team at the 2005 IIHF World Men’s Championship. 2003-04: Led the U.S. National Junior Team to its first-ever gold medal at the 2004 IIHF World Junior Championship with 11 points (5-6) … Named Most Valuable Player of the tournament … Earned directorate award as the tournament’s best forward … Selected to the Media All-Star Team. 2002-03: Skated in all seven games for the U.S. National Junior Team at the 2003 IIHF World Junior Championship … Led Team USA with eight points (4-4). 2001-02: Helped the U.S. National Under-18 Team capture its first-ever gold medal at the 2002 IIHF World Men’s Under-18 Championship … Ranked fourth on the team with 10 points (7-3) … Appeared in 12 games with the U.S. National Under-18 Team within USA Hockey’s National Team Development Program … Recorded seven goals and seven assists.

Wasn't on the 2005 team

Brian Rafalski:

1992 - Lost to former Soviet Union at the U-20s. Had the U.S. won that game, they win the Gold. They settle for the Bronze.

1992 - w/Wisconsin, Rafalski and the Badgers play for the NCAA Title, only to fall to LSSU.

2001 - w/New Jersey, Rafalski and the Devils drop Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals to Ray Bourque and the Avs.

2002 - Rafalski leads USA to the Gold Medal Game, only to fall to the Canadians.

2009 - w/Detroit, Rafalski and the Red Wings blow a 2-0 series lead before losing in Game 7 to Pittsburgh.

2010 - Rafalski again helps USA to the Gold Medal Game, and once again USA loses to Canada, this time in OT.

Rafalski did manage to win Stanley Cups with New Jersey (2000) and Detroit (2008), but both of those series were won in 6 games.

• 4 weeks later...

Genoway has signed a two-year contract with the Minnesota Wild

http://wild.nhl.com/...vid=DL|MIN|home

Not pleased by this. I wish he had signed with a team that actually had a decent future ahead of them, and one willing to give him a chance. Last year Chay was the best defenseman on the Aeros yet he only got called up for one game (which he was one of the best players on the ice).

Its tough to call myself a wild fan when they'd rather bring up a higher drafted player, than a player that is producing for them in the minors.....

Not pleased by this. I wish he had signed with a team that actually had a decent future ahead of them, and one willing to give him a chance. Last year Chay was the best defenseman on the Aeros yet he only got called up for one game (which he was one of the best players on the ice).

Its tough to call myself a wild fan when they'd rather bring up a higher drafted player, than a player that is producing for them in the minors.....

Maybe that's part of the reason they continue to miss the playoffs...
  • Upvote 1