SiouxSports.com Forum

Joe Finley

siouxweet

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ya know I've been reading this blog on Joe for a while and I find it rather interesting...

While I understand what pundents are seeing when they have issues with big JOE anyone who didn't see great improvements in Joe's game last year either didn't watch them play much or is just not very bright..

The funny thing is that I have not seen one dish on another defensemen-Genoway.

Yes I know he had a huge up side in his offensive play- suprise-suprise for the ex-forward convert. Here is the deal with him; Anyone tape the semi-final agains BC? Watch it. EVERY goal but one was either a direct F-up by Genoway or he had a pass picked or missed checking up his man and it lead to the play that scored. If you watch it it is kinda comical.

Hey I know he got us to the final four and he can skate and is physical. He is a great hockey player and competitor. But the reality is he less seasoned at defense and it can be exploited by players like Gerb.

So if ya all want to worry about our D-next year worry about the convert not the solid seasoned consitant vetern BIG JOE!

ya know I've been reading this blog on Joe for a while and I find it rather interesting...

While I understand what pundents are seeing when they have issues with big JOE anyone who didn't see great improvements in Joe's game last year either didn't watch them play much or is just not very bright..

Yes I know he had a huge up side in his offensive play- suprise-suprise for the ex-forward convert. Here is the deal with him; Anyone tape the semi-final agains BC? Watch it. EVERY goal but one was either a direct F-up by Genoway or he had a pass picked or missed checking up his man and it lead to the play that scored. If you watch it it is kinda comical.

Hey I know he got us to the final four and he can skate and is physical. He is a great hockey player and competitor. But the reality is he less seasoned at defense and it can be exploited by players like Gerb.

So if ya all want to worry about our D-next year worry about the convert not the solid seasoned consitant vetern BIG JOE!

so your saying that chay's defensive partner was not able to cover for him in these times when he messed up? god whats that guys name again :silly:

Grand Forks Herald Confirms

Finley plans to return

I am surprised. At the end of the season I thought Joe played his position but with a lack of enthusiasm. I thought he was planning to be another Brian Lee and "further his development" in the AHL before hitting the NHL. Now that Joe is coming back I'm happy. Still Joe needs to improve his game for college and for the future, the pros. In my opinion Joe needs to do these things:

1. No longer only rely upon his reach but to move his feet to get better position

2. Become more physical. Joe is huge and is going to get called for penalties when smaller players will not. Joe needs to use his size more in the Matt Greene mold. Make that opposing player regret setting up in front of your goalie etc. He needs to make people pay to get into our zone.

3. This past year Joe improved on his break out passes but there were times that he didn't want anything to do with the puck and would leave it to Genoway to bring it out of the zone. To further his career he needs to learn this part of the game better and start moving the puck. He doesn't need to skate it out of the zone but make a decision and pass it to the right player.

I'm glad Joe is back as long as he plays with more enthusiasm and uses his assets which are his size. his reach and his experience. Just expand on those attributes and Joe will be in the pros shortly. Heck we may be looking at another Frozen Four now with Joe, Jones, LaPoint, Marto, Genoway, and the newbies on defense. In general all of the defensemen need to get more physical to help our freshman goalie.

While I understand your argument here, I really find no need to knock on Chay. Maybe he's not as seasoned on defense as Joe, but he played forward for a bit to help the team out where they needed it. Maybe he's had some off games, we all know Joe has... but I'd rather have that experience there than not, especially with the goaltending issues for next season.

That being said, Welcome back Joe!:silly:

While I understand your argument here, I really find no need to knock on Chay. Maybe he's not as seasoned on defense as Joe, but he played forward for a bit to help the team out where they needed it. Maybe he's had some off games, we all know Joe has... but I'd rather have that experience there than not, especially with the goaltending issues for next season.

That being said, Welcome back Joe!:silly:

We have to hope that Eidsness can come in and play like Bachman, Kangas and Muse....a team can win a title with a freshman goalie no doubt.

IMO Chay is the best Hockey player on the team (he impressed the heck out of me last yr) & I think he can get better (a lot better) but he does not lack in confidence & skill or ability

He reminds me of sparky (& made me forget about Sparky - some what)

Only Oshie was better last yr & I have to admit Oshie (as much as I loved to see his hustle) at times he out hustled his skill & could have played more to his line mates abilities (If you know what I mean) Don't get me wrong - I can't wait to see Osh in the pros with others like him - He should be awesome

& like I said before Joe had a good year - I don't know what happened at the end - I'm glad as heck he is coming back & he will be a very good Pro someday

We are going to be Fantastic on D for several years

I just hope we have some really good forwards (that will surprise & impress) right away

I not only don't have a problem with it...I think that is tremendous news.

Finley was one of our most consistent dman all season long last year...he had a couple of lapses in the playoffs, but that didn't change the fact that he was solid for the rest of the year.

If this news is true, he will be a leader of our d-corps next season, and I would expect him to have a great year.

He wasn't the only one at the end of the year to have some lapses. this is huge news because for the first time since 04-05 we will be senior heavy-and that team made it all the way to the very last game. I may have been Mr. Negative at times on this board-but I really do have optimism for this season.

I'm just amazed that these guys are coming back! I know some people on this board thought they'd be back but seriously turning down the money is hard to do. How many of us would turn down a job from a rival for double what we currently make....not many. These guys have tons of character and we're lucky to have them be involved in our community...even with some trouble. I've already planned on the D.C. trip and now we might even be able to watch our favorite team...doesn't get any better!! Thanks Dunc, Finley and Kozek!

...but seriously turning down the money...

...turn down a job...

I'm as happy as anyone that these players are coming back, but I'll have to see the contract offers before I believe anyone "turned down the money" in doing so.

I'm as happy as anyone that these players are coming back, but I'll have to see the contract offers before I believe anyone "turned down the money" in doing so.

OK Doubting Thomas, you really think these guys didn't have the option to go the pro route. Does it matter how much money they turned down? Four year top notch college athletes are rare in any sport. I guarantee that all of them could be making more money that what they will make next year playing for the Sioux.

I'm just amazed that these guys are coming back! I know some people on this board thought they'd be back but seriously turning down the money is hard to do. How many of us would turn down a job from a rival for double what we currently make....not many. These guys have tons of character and we're lucky to have them be involved in our community...even with some trouble. I've already planned on the D.C. trip and now we might even be able to watch our favorite team...doesn't get any better!! Thanks Dunc, Finley and Kozek!

You have to have an offer to turn down money. Not saying these guys didn't have offers, but it's not as cut and dry as they turned down all this money to come back just to play at UND.

It's always been my opinion that you shouldn't go pro unless your going to play at least 1/3 of your season in the NHL, or you have absolutely maxed out your potential money making ability. (Like Duncan after his soph year) Thus I think Finley and Kozek both made the right decision because they both would be full season AHL'ers.

I am looking for a rematch... ;) I would love to see Big Joe paste him one. :lol:

That is the first thing I thought of when I saw Finley was coming back....... well except for the pasting him part. :silly: Finley vs. Bickel. I am looking forward to the series in January more then ever now! Would be a heck of a good fight.

That is the first thing I thought of when I saw Finley was coming back....... well except for the pasting him part. :silly: Finley vs. Bickel. I am looking forward to the series in January more then ever now! Would be a heck of a good fight.

I say they drop 'em the first game that way they get it done and over with and neither team is hurt by a suspension after the series. like kaip and bruess this year.