SiouxSports.com Forum

Joe Finley

siouxweet

here'a a hope and plea that big Joe decides to come back for his senior year. a year ago I was ready to pack his bags for him but after watching Joe this season I have a completely different view this year. With the odds against Chorney coming back it would be huge to get big Joe back to help in front of a freshman goalie. I know there are some of you out there who will be willing to pack his bags for him but it will be a much different team to have 5 returning defenseman on the ice each night versus four and 2 freshman. So Joe please consider doing what your fellow teammate Ryan Duncan did and come back for one more shot at a title as you must have a very sour taste in your mouth after what happened in Denver.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there are some of you out there who will be willing to pack his bags for him but it will be a much different team to have 5 returning defenseman on the ice each night versus four and 2 freshman.

I am thinking either way UND is going to be good next season. I see a lot of reason for optimism. I think the new goalie which I consider a blue chipper is going to be pretty good. Having Joe back would be good. I thought Tim Hennesy said that Joe was boing to be back anyways?

If they were smart, they'd come back for another season at UND! They wont' be getting the attention(the ladies) as a minor leaguer riding the bus! College is the best time of your life. I can't imagine how good it is for a hockey player!

I am thinking either way UND is going to be good next season. I see a lot of reason for optimism. I think the new goalie which I consider a blue chipper is going to be pretty good. Having Joe back would be good. I thought Tim Hennesy said that Joe was boing to be back anyways?

It's ok everyone...since goon here considers him a blue chipper i'm on board too...just outta curiosity...why do you, Goon, consider him a blue chipper? From when you went up north and scouted him?

It's ok everyone...since goon here considers him a blue chipper i'm on board too...just outta curiosity...why do you, Goon, consider him a blue chipper? From when you went up north and scouted him?

Yes the incoing goalie Brad Eidsmess would by definition would be considered a blue-chipper.

Brad Eidsness-Okotoks (AJHL) G 2008 34 2.08 0.936 27 3 4 Leads AJHL in GAA and SP

[url=http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?refid=1861728511]blue-chip

I also heard that Chorney was not going to get the rookie max from Edmonton if that means anything.

Personally I believe Chorn did not develop this season as much as some thought he would. I personally picked him as our Hobey candidate. Now I think he is definitely ready for the AHL and a couple of games next season in the NHL, but if he stays, again I will pick him as an early top 10 candidate for the Hobey as I feel he has a ton of energy/points stored up and is ready to explode.

As for Big Joe, I love him but was really tough to watch in the final month of the season. I read somewhere that he would need quite a bit of games in the AHL before he was NHL ready which I agree with. At this point it is a matter of what both players want.

One thing that I bet greatly influenced TJ's leaving was insurance. We all know that the WCHA refs suck and this allowed TJ to get mauled, raped, and murdered all in one shift. He battled through injuries, but at one point one of those injuries could have been serious (remember the CFB his freshmen season). After that CFB I remeber a local paper running a story about TJ and other high profile players taking insurance policies out on their careers. TJ was smart to get out of the WCHA before getting hurt, he was able to get the money, get into a better controlled environment (penalty wise), and get into a system that will better manage and pay for any injuries major or minor. Now this seems like a small point, but I feel that if the WCHA continues in its current direction this may become a theme

The same goes for Joe and Chorney, though it would be tough to hurt Joe, Chorney as we saw is another story, and they may take the option to get money and out of some unsafe situations that the WCHA has created.

Personally I believe Chorn did not develop this season as much as some thought he would. I personally picked him as our Hobey candidate. Now I think he is definitely ready for the AHL and a couple of games next season in the NHL, but if he stays, again I will pick him as an early top 10 candidate for the Hobey as I feel he has a ton of energy/points stored up and is ready to explode.

As for Big Joe, I love him but was really tough to watch in the final month of the season. I read somewhere that he would need quite a bit of games in the AHL before he was NHL ready which I agree with. At this point it is a matter of what both players want.

One thing that I bet greatly influenced TJ's leaving was insurance. We all know that the WCHA refs suck and this allowed TJ to get mauled, raped, and murdered all in one shift. He battled through injuries, but at one point one of those injuries could have been serious (remember the CFB his freshmen season). After that CFB I remeber a local paper running a story about TJ and other high profile players taking insurance policies out on their careers. TJ was smart to get out of the WCHA before getting hurt, he was able to get the money, get into a better controlled environment (penalty wise), and get into a system that will better manage and pay for any injuries major or minor. Now this seems like a small point, but I feel that if the WCHA continues in its current direction this may become a theme

The same goes for Joe and Chorney, though it would be tough to hurt Joe, Chorney as we saw is another story, and they may take the option to get money and out of some unsafe situations that the WCHA has created.

I agree that Chorney did not meet all of our expectations this year, but maybe our expectations were unrealistic. As for the NHL being safer than college, I believe that I would tend to disagree. I believe that we saw many videos of extreme cheap shots in the NHL this year where people were severely hurt. College does a better job of protecting against checking from behind than the NHL, even though college is inconsistent. But that is my own opinion.

I agree that Chorney did not meet all of our expectations this year, but maybe our expectations were unrealistic. As for the NHL being safer than college, I believe that I would tend to disagree. I believe that we saw many videos of extreme cheap shots in the NHL this year where people were severely hurt. College does a better job of protecting against checking from behind than the NHL, even though college is inconsistent. But that is my own opinion.

Some of the checks along the boards that I have seen in the NHL playoffs would be a CFB instantly in college, but in the NHL, the play just go on for most of them. Some of the checks in the NHL I almost cringe at because of the angle that the player hits the boards. It's frightening.

But I do believe the NHL better controls the game and "polices" it better. The cheap shots are going to happen in any league. But in the NHL/minor leagues, you can/will be held accountable just because the player's have a longer rope to work with in the NHL.

i have to agree with goon on this one. eidsness has a tremendous upside. i think its a good possibility that we could see a kangas or bachman here. most people look too hard at the draft to decide if they are blue chips. no joke, but frazee was a blue chip recruit. cory schneider was too...and he turned out to be a blue chip player. what i like about eidsness is that he has excellent numbers and is supposed to be a technical goalie. i personally got a little tired of lammy's flopping the last few years. i would much rather have somebody that is not fancy, but stops the puck. look at schneider, elliott, kangas, bachman. all of these guys make it look like they are not really working hard, because they are most always in position.

i have to agree with goon on this one. eidsness has a tremendous upside. i think its a good possibility that we could see a kangas or bachman here. most people look too hard at the draft to decide if they are blue chips. no joke, but frazee was a blue chip recruit. cory schneider was too...and he turned out to be a blue chip player. what i like about eidsness is that he has excellent numbers and is supposed to be a technical goalie. i personally got a little tired of lammy's flopping the last few years. i would much rather have somebody that is not fancy, but stops the puck. look at schneider, elliott, kangas, bachman. all of these guys make it look like they are not really working hard, because they are most always in position.

I am hoping/thinking that Eidsness is that guy, I think he has said all the right things and not taking everything for granted.

Seems like he has the right frame of mind.

The situation Eidsness is coming into is very different from Kangas or Bachmann. Kangas came in knowing he was the backup. CC didn't start the season with realistic expectations of winning the WCHA regular season title. Essentially, both had nothing to lose once given full time jobs. Eidsness is coming in with a lot of pressure. Basically he knows he's the starter. He's joining a team that has reached the previous 4 Frozen Fours and is a contending team every year.

Is it too much pressure for a freshman? I'm not saying it is, but it might be a tougher road than expected.

The situation Eidsness is coming into is very different from Kangas or Bachmann. Kangas came in knowing he was the backup. CC didn't start the season with realistic expectations of winning the WCHA regular season title. Essentially, both had nothing to lose once given full time jobs. Eidsness is coming in with a lot of pressure. Basically he knows he's the starter. He's joining a team that has reached the previous 4 Frozen Fours and is a contending team every year.

Is it too much pressure for a freshman? I'm not saying it is, but it might be a tougher road than expected.

Question then there must be help coming as in the form of an older goalie? Isn't B.E. going to be 20 this season? I can't imagine a scenario where Walski is the starter. If he wasn't good enough to play last season how is he all of a sudden good enough to play this season? It does seem the coaching staff has short sighted the goal tending position IF Eidsness isn't the starter this year. I still have to think it is going to be Brad E and look B.C. won a title with a freshman goalie.

Question then there must be help coming as in the form of an older goalie? Isn't B.E. going to be 20 this season? I can't imagine a scenario where Walski is the starter. If he wasn't good enough to play last season how is he all of a sudden good enough to play this season? It does seem the coaching staff has short sighted the goal tending position IF Eidsness isn't the starter this year. I still have to think it is going to be Brad E and look B.C. won a title with a freshman goalie.

That portion doesn't make any sense...you are essentially comparing a senior JPL to a freshman Brad Eidsness. I guarantee Walski gets a few games in this year. Eidsness may be the eventual number one this year, but I just don't see him playing every minute of every game (like Muse). Walski has been in the system a long time, and knows what it takes to be successful. He could be a good mentor for Eidsness.

That portion doesn't make any sense...you are essentially comparing a senior JPL to a freshman Brad Eidsness. I guarantee Walski gets a few games in this year. Eidsness may be the eventual number one this year, but I just don't see him playing every minute of every game (like Muse). Walski has been in the system a long time, and knows what it takes to be successful. He could be a good mentor for Eidsness.

If he wasn't good enough to play last season how is he all of a sudden good enough to play this season?

What I am saying is that I don't understand the logic that Walski played one game all season is all of a sudden to going to be good enough to play? This is something that makes no sense to me what so ever. I don't have a problem with a team going with one goalie but there needs to be options. What happens if Walski and Eidsness don't pan out?

There is a difference between not being good enough to play last year and being good enough but being #2 behind another great goaltender. Hak praised Walski at MANY points last year and was impressed with his work from the previous season, he obviously beat out Grieco for the #2 spot. He may have gotten more games last year had Lammy not had such a great year and been healthy the whole time. I think the fact that UND did not try to get a higher quality goaltender in the middle of last year proves that Hak and co felt that if Walski had to become the starter they would still be OK. I think that the idea that Eidsness has the #1 spot locked up is a bit short-sited. Hak will evaluate them next year and give the spot to who deserves it. I think Walski has proven he has the work ethic to become a starting goaltender in the WCHA. May the best goalie win, or better yet, may we have a rotation between 2 outstanding goalies. Remember, lots of people wrote Lammy off years ago and look at his numbers last year!

There is a difference between not being good enough to play last year and being good enough but being #2 behind another great goaltender. Hak praised Walski at MANY points last year and was impressed with his work from the previous season, he obviously beat out Grieco for the #2 spot. He may have gotten more games last year had Lammy not had such a great year and been healthy the whole time. I think the fact that UND did not try to get a higher quality goaltender in the middle of last year proves that Hak and co felt that if Walski had to become the starter they would still be OK. I think that the idea that Eidsness has the #1 spot locked up is a bit short-sited. Hak will evaluate them next year and give the spot to who deserves it. I think Walski has proven he has the work ethic to become a starting goaltender in the WCHA. May the best goalie win, or better yet, may we have a rotation between 2 outstanding goalies. Remember, lots of people wrote Lammy off years ago and look at his numbers last year!

I agree.

I guess my question would be; are people selling Brad E short?

I think that's pretty doubtful. In fact, he may be overhyped. That is not a knock on Brad, as he seems to be a great find, and a very solid goaltender. It is just very hard to come in as a freshman goalie and be a star. I truly hope he does come in and play solidly, but would not be surprised to see struggles here and there. If anything, Walski is being sold short for lack of playing time behind a hobey caliber goalie.

I think we're in a good situation with someone who has been in the system for a few years to compete with the heralded freshman. Maybe Walski doesn't have game experience, but he's been in practice and with the team longer than Eidsness.

In any case, this is a bit off topic. Having big Joe around for another year would definitely be a good thing. It is very tough to replace experience, especially on the blue line. I don't think he'll be back, but it would be nice.

I didn't say/imply Walski would get even one start this year. I just said that Eidsness might not be the dominant goalie that people are expecting him to be in his freshman year. I'm also not saying he'll be bad...I just don't have any preconceived expectations of him before I see him play any games in the NCAA.

I do think Walski will get a few more starts this year with Brad being our main guy. Brad will need time to adjust, but I'm sure glad that we have him.

I think the biggest question mark is at goal next season.

1. We have Eidsness, who has looked stellar in juniors. But he's a freshman. And, sometimes success in Juniors doesn't translate to DI (See Frazee, Jeff). I think Brad is a bit overhyped because he's the last goaltender to get NHL attention before suiting up for UND since Toby Kvalevog (he was drafted in the 8th round). I think Brad will be a far better goaltender than Toby.

2. We have Walski, who has his own bit of overhypedness to him. First, we only have one game, a game against Bemidji State, and several exhibition outings to see what Walski has. Sure, he's a capable goaltender, but is he good enough? The fact is, we still don't know. He is also "home grown" which gets the "home grown homers" out of the woodwork. Remember, there are some floating around, who seem to think that we should be like Woog's Gophers but with a twist. We should play the North Dakotans only to the point that someone else from elsewhere outplays them. Then you bench the North Dakotans to send them a message and then put them back in once the message is heard. In other words, "Play Walski because he's a home favorite." Whatever that means. Remember, Walski once made 70 saves in a game...what... 5 years ago now? Seriously, any more ridiculously retarded reasons?

My point is this: If Hak decides to play Walski, GREAT! Go Walski! Go Sioux! But if he decides to play Brad win or lose, GO EIDSNESS! GO Sioux!

Both goaltenders are overhyped in different ways. Both can be decent goaltenders. And the fact that Hak didn't go after another goaltender half way through the season is because he saw in Walski a great backup to Phil. Does that translate to a good starter? We don't know.

Besides, if we brought in a guy mid season, he might have turned out to be another Josh Siembida.

I think the biggest question mark is at goal next season.

1. We have Eidsness, who has looked stellar in juniors. But he's a freshman. And, sometimes success in Juniors doesn't translate to DI (See Frazee, Jeff). I think Brad is a bit overhyped because he's the last goaltender to get NHL attention before suiting up for UND since Toby Kvalevog (he was drafted in the 8th round). I think Brad will be a far better goaltender than Toby.

2. We have Walski, who has his own bit of overhypedness to him. First, we only have one game, a game against Bemidji State, and several exhibition outings to see what Walski has. Sure, he's a capable goaltender, but is he good enough? The fact is, we still don't know. He is also "home grown" which gets the "home grown homers" out of the woodwork. Remember, there are some floating around, who seem to think that we should be like Woog's Gophers but with a twist. We should play the North Dakotans only to the point that someone else from elsewhere outplays them. Then you bench the North Dakotans to send them a message and then put them back in once the message is heard. In other words, "Play Walski because he's a home favorite." Whatever that means. Remember, Walski once made 70 saves in a game...what... 5 years ago now? Seriously, any more ridiculously retarded reasons?

My point is this: If Hak decides to play Walski, GREAT! Go Walski! Go Sioux! But if he decides to play Brad win or lose, GO EIDSNESS! GO Sioux!

Both goaltenders are overhyped in different ways. Both can be decent goaltenders. And the fact that Hak didn't go after another goaltender half way through the season is because he saw in Walski a great backup to Phil. Does that translate to a good starter? We don't know.

Besides, if we brought in a guy mid season, he might have turned out to be another Josh Siembida.

The coaching staff does not think that Eidsness is overhyped at all. In fact, Mike Lee from Roseau wanted to go to UND, but instead will be attending St. Cloud after spending a year of juniors this year, his senior year. Mike Lee is very good, but the Sioux coaching staff did not recruit Mike Lee because they feel that they have their goalie for the next 4 years in Brad Eidsness. My source is a former Roseau goalie who coaches goaltenders in Grand Forks.