SiouxSports.com Forum

Joe Finley

siouxweet

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you say is probably true. However, I don't think mascots are allowed on the ice during the game. Therefore, I don't think we have to worry about it.

you are a total !@#!$!. all you do is come here to piss people off. get a life.

What's sad is that, if Joe left, I'm sure they'd move on to another player. Lee left and they moved to Finley.

I wonder who it would be? Blood? LaPoint? Miller? Eidsness? It can't be Walski... he's a local boy. No one criticizes the locals. Chay? No. He made two boneheaded plays that led to two goals against us, but not a peep.

Maybe it will be Malone.

Oh well... if all else fails, they could rag on Hakstol.

I'm posting to bitch about your bitching regarding the people on the board finding players to bitch about. :silly:;)

I know, it's going to suck having an experienced dman coming back for another year. :lol:

Better than your 1st round draft picks though, who leave midseason. :silly:

Yeah that is horrible. ;)

I think we should be welcoming him with open arms.

• 3 weeks later...
I know, it's going to suck having an experienced dman coming back for another year. ;)

Better than your 1st round draft picks though, who leave midseason. :)

well, if a player ain't good enough to move up after three years at UND, do you blame it on the coach, or the player.

well, if a player ain't good enough to move up after three years at UND, do you blame it on the coach, or the player.

It's Lucia's and the Gophers fault, when a dman can sleepwalk all year against the likes of the gophers offense, and not give up anything, it's a shock to face the likes of Gerbe in a playoff game.

Wouldn't give up any senior dman for anyone; Finley will be a stud, not to mention a team leader.

It's Lucia's and the Gophers fault, when a dman can sleepwalk all year against the likes of the gophers offense, and not give up anything, it's a shock to face the likes of Gerbe in a playoff game.

Wouldn't give up any senior dman for anyone; Finley will be a stud, not to mention a team leader.

(This isn't directed at Sprig)

I would like to know since when is staying 4 years now a bad thing especially when Leo stayed 4 years at Minnesota?

Also, Joe is a year ahead because he sped up his graduation.

I would like to know since when is staying 4 years now a bad thing especially when Leo stayed 4 years at Minnesota?

Joe technically graduated a year early but look at when he was born. He's the same age as Chorney and Lee. Joe isn't a year ahead he just started school a year late because he's a June birthday, he could have gone either way. Hockey wise he should be a real senior just like he is.

When looking at players and ages all you have to do is look at draft year, thats usually the best way to group players.

Because it is the assumption that, because a player bolts early that:

1. The player's development warrants it. This assumes that the player wasn't the only one responsible for this, but the coaches and level of play as well.

2. The player who bolted was a blue chipper. This is so wrong (there are so many former college players who bolted early who learned to regret it) but now it is becoming, in my opinion, a sign of a blue chip recruit.

It is now becoming apparent that only the programs who expect nothing from their hockey programs but "to go out and do their best" have rosters full of 4 year players. Graduation isn't important.

It's a black or white position. There is no gray, which is too bad because that's what is needed. I'd love to have seen Toews, Parise, Smaby, Greene, Stafford, Zajac, etc. all graduate, but they didn't. I would have liked to have seen Bayda and Roche stay all four years but they didn't.

I do not argue that it is becoming an unfortunate reality in DI hockey, nor do I argue that we should stop recruiting these types of players. I do argue that, when a player (regardless of who he is and when he was or wasn't drafted) decides to stick around for 4 years we take it as a good thing rather than assuming that his development hasn't fared well or a myriad of other reasons.

I watched the NHL draft in which Finley was drafted. They said on air that he was a project and that Washington would more than likely allow him to stay all four years at UND before signing him. The fact that they've now spent two years trying to sign him is testimony enough that his development hasn't stalled nor has UND's program or the WCHA's level of play disappointed Washington. Add to this that their other first round selection, Cornell's Sasha Pokoluk (sp?) hasn't exactly fared well. I think Finley's just fine.

I think it is time to allow the hating of Finley to die away.

Now, some of you won't agree with this, some of you will. One of the main reason that UND become just a hotbed for NHL defensemen has a lot to do with coaching. Hale, Greene, Commodore, Jones, etc...they all developed under Brad Berry here at UND. Ask people around, not only the area, but the country who KNOW hockey and they will support the notion that Brad Berry was one of the finest defensive coaches in North America. When a player comes to a school like this it's to develop their play to get it ready for the next level. Finley is leaps and bounds ahead of where he was when he came in as a Frosh, but it's also my opinion that under Berry, as opposed to Eades (who is just fine in his own right), he may have been two years and out. Coaching will only go as far as a players drive will take him. I believe Finley has it and will be fine. He just needs a hardcore tune-up on some, if not most, of his skills. It's always great to have a Senior leader back, i'm just saying don't overstate his impact.

As an out-of-stater who does not get to the Ralph to see many games in person (but who watches them every weekend online), I'm not in a very good positon to say too much about Joe's performance last year. But I remember thinking many times how good he was at gaining control of the puck along the boards and making that first pass. He may not have Chorney's mobility, but he is so big that he appears to move slower than he does, I think. A player like Gerbe can make the best defenseman look lost. Joe had a very good year last year, and he will be even better this year. The Sioux are very lucky to have him back.

As an out-of-stater who does not get to the Ralph to see many games in person (but who watches them every weekend online), I'm not in a very good positon to say too much about Joe's performance last year. But I remember thinking many times how good he was at gaining control of the puck along the boards and making that first pass. He may not have Chorney's mobility, but he is so big that he appears to move slower than he does, I think. A player like Gerbe can make the best defenseman look lost. Joe had a very good year last year, and he will be even better this year. The Sioux are very lucky to have him back.

I agree with this, he played great all year, and was frequently the lone dman back facing the plethora of 2 on 1's the team gave up in virtually every game, and he often broke them up, if not, Lammy made the save. For just one game, against Gerbe, he was the only one back once again, but in that one game, was made to look bad. Where was the rest of the team on those oddman rushes. I haven't been used to seeing Sioux hockey so defensively unsound as they played all year last year, but, until one game in the FF, they got away with it for the most part.

I wouldn't want a change to Badger hockey, but, covering your arse on the back side is not a bad way to play.

Finley has made enormous strides (no pun intended), but he still has a tendency to rely on his reach and sometimes gets burned as evidenced in Final Five and Frozen Four. He is still a kid. I expect him to have a rockstar year.

I also hope he lays more than a few people out this season, too. :)