SiouxSports.com Forum

Joe Finley

siouxweet

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but he's not a blue chipper like you said either.

Neither was Brad Elliot, Karl Goehring, Weber, Hauser, etc. All of those won NCs.

Frazee supposedly was.

blue chippers are nice, but they aren't the key to winning. They are subjectively selected as such by whatever criteria comes to mind, legit or otherwise.

I don't care if Eidsness is or isn't a blue chipper. All I care about is that he plays well and plays hard for the Sioux.

Neither was Brad Elliot, Karl Goehring, Weber, Hauser, etc. All of those won NCs.

Frazee supposedly was.

blue chippers are nice, but they aren't the key to winning. They are subjectively selected as such by whatever criteria comes to mind, legit or otherwise.

I don't care if Eidsness is or isn't a blue chipper. All I care about is that he plays well and plays hard for the Sioux.

One could make the argument that the Gophers, Sioux and Badgers have a number of blue chippers on their roster.

Definiton of a Blue Chip athlete:

The term "blue chip" is commonly used to describe collegiate athletes who are being targeted to be drafted by professional sports teams. "Blue chip" players have proven themselves to be amongst the best at their respective positions in their sports and are more sought after by professional teams than other players. They are typically perceived as "can't miss" prospects who are desired by every team regardless of the team's situation. Blue chip athletes are likely to have an immediate impact on teams that acquire them and have proven skills rather than speculative or untapped potential. The term may also apply to a top level high school athlete who is being recruited to play collegiately.

One could make the argument that the Gophers, Sioux and Badgers have a number of blue chippers on their roster.

Definiton of a Blue Chip athlete:

That wikipedia definition is flawed.

Tell me how an 8th round draft pick or even a 6th round draft pick is a "can't miss" prospect. It's common knowledge that the true can't miss prospects are those that are drafted in the first two rounds. Good prospects fall in rounds 3-5. Projects and long shots fall in 6-the end of the draft. **Well, usually** Joe Finley was drafted in the first round and he's a project. Blake Wheeler was drafted top 5 and he's more like a late first rounder... so I guess there are exceptions.

Many goaltenders simply aren't drafted due to the amount of time they require to truly develop. Backstrom of the Wild is one example. I don't think Belfour was drafted either.

It's crazy. David LeNeveu was a HUGE prospect, but hasn't been able to crack the NHL roster in any length (21 games over 5 pro seasons) as of yet, however Tim Thomas plays all the time. Thomas was a 9th round pick and LeNeveu a 2nd rounder.

The fact is, can't miss is subjective and so is their draft level. Tim Thomas was a 9th round draft pick, Ed Belfour was undrafted and both played/play extensively in the NHL. David LeNeveu can't stick in the NHL. Mathieu Chouinard (who was a first round #15 overall pick in the 1998 draft and reentered as a second round #45 pick in 2000) has only played 1 game in the NHL and is now out of hockey.

You never know. Eidsness may be the next Belfour. He may be the next Kvalavog. We don't know.

But anyways...

That wikipedia definition is flawed.

Tell me how an 8th round draft pick or even a 6th round draft pick is a "can't miss" prospect. It's common knowledge that the true can't miss prospects are those that are drafted in the first two rounds. Good prospects fall in rounds 3-5. Projects and long shots fall in 6-the end of the draft. **Well, usually** Joe Finley was drafted in the first round and he's a project. Blake Wheeler was drafted top 5 and he's more like a late first rounder... so I guess there are exceptions.

Many goaltenders simply aren't drafted due to the amount of time they require to truly develop. Backstrom of the Wild is one example. I don't think Belfour was drafted either.

It's crazy. David LeNeveu was a HUGE prospect, but hasn't been able to crack the NHL roster in any length (21 games over 5 pro seasons) as of yet, however Tim Thomas plays all the time. Thomas was a 9th round pick and LeNeveu a 2nd rounder.

The fact is, can't miss is subjective and so is their draft level. Tim Thomas was a 9th round draft pick, Ed Belfour was undrafted and both played/play extensively in the NHL. David LeNeveu can't stick in the NHL. Mathieu Chouinard (who was a first round #15 overall pick in the 1998 draft and reentered as a second round #45 pick in 2000) has only played 1 game in the NHL and is now out of hockey.

You never know. Eidsness may be the next Belfour. He may be the next Kvalavog. We don't know.

But anyways...

Red Wings fans should know better than anyone, right redwing77? Seriously, can you name 170 players in the 1998 NHL entry draft better than Pavel Datsyuk?

Rico Fata #6? Jeff Heerema #11?

That Lecavalier guy selected #1 has had a pretty decent career, I suppose. :D

Red Wings fans should know better than anyone, right redwing77? Seriously, can you name 170 players in the 1998 NHL entry draft better than Pavel Datsyuk?

Rico Fata #6? Jeff Heerema #11?

That Lecavalier guy selected #1 has had a pretty decent career, I suppose. :D

What about Henrik Zetterberg (7th round -1999):

Scott Kelman (#15 overall)?

Barrett Heisten (#20)?

Luca Cereda (#24)?

This isn't counting two or three goaltenders who were drafted in the first round that busted out.

But I suppose Pavel Brendl (#4) had a good career, yes? ???

(Actually the Sedin brothers #2 and #3 and Tim Connolly #5 are the only 3 of the top 5 that have done really anything).

Patrik Stefan isn't bad... :D

Heck, Nicklas Lidstrom was a 3rd round pick his draft year!

Ok, I will bite why isn't he a blue chipper? If not he is pretty close.

A blue chip recruit is a special player. He's a guy where you look and say, that guys going to be an absolute supper star at this level. It's hard to put a number on how many they are year to year because it changes, but I'd say on any given year there are between 4 and 8 blue chip college hockey recruits. The term blue chip is thrown around way to literally now days.

Now obviously there are multiple cases of non blue chippers coming in and having better freshman seasons than blue chippers its just the way it goes. I by no means was making fun of Brad E. by saying he's not a blue chipper hes just not one of the top 10 recruits in the nation.

In my opinion last years blue chippers: (Keep in mind this is before the season started)

Kyle Turris, JVR, Ryan McDonagh, Nick Petrecki, Ian Cole, Kevin Shattenkirk, Brendan Smith, Tyler Bozak, Max Pacioretty

In my opinion here are this years blue chippers:

David Toews, Aaron Ness, Jordan Schroeder, Jason Gregoire, Vinny Saponari, Jake Gardiner, Zac Dalpe

A blue chip recruit is a special player. He's a guy where you look and say, that guys going to be an absolute supper star at this level. It's hard to put a number on how many they are year to year because it changes, but I'd say on any given year there are between 4 and 8 blue chip college hockey recruits. The term blue chip is thrown around way to literally now days.

Now obviously there are multiple cases of non blue chippers coming in and having better freshman seasons than blue chippers its just the way it goes. I by no means was making fun of Brad E. by saying he's not a blue chipper hes just not one of the top 10 recruits in the nation.

In my opinion last years blue chippers: (Keep in mind this is before the season started)

Kyle Turris, JVR, Ryan McDonagh, Nick Petrecki, Ian Cole, Kevin Shattenkirk, Brendan Smith, Tyler Bozak, Max Pacioretty

David Toews, Aaron Ness, Jordan Schroeder, Jason Gregoire, Vinny Saponari, Jake Gardiner, Zac Dalpe

Not Joe Colborne?

I also heard that Chorney was not going to get the rookie max from Edmonton if that means anything.

Chorney is signing with Edmonton in August for I believe $760k, which is below the rookie max but not a bad pay day. This is according to my brother's conversation with Chorney himself.

I hate to start rumors, but if he is talking openly about it, I view that as being public knowledge.

Chorney is signing with Edmonton in August for I believe $760k, which is below the rookie max but not a bad pay day. This is according to my brother's conversation with Chorney himself.

I hate to start rumors, but if he is talking openly about it, I view that as being public knowledge.

This is understandable. My only question is why is the signing taking place in August if the terms are agreed to at this point?

This is understandable. My only question is why is the signing taking place in August if the terms are agreed to at this point?

This would be my question as well. I would guess it would be for either salary cap (or some other accounting) reasons or PR reasons.

He could have been BS ing my brother as well, although my brother was not the one to bring it up (he is not a die hard Sioux fan and a SCSU grad :D )

I disagree with you thinking that Bozak was a bc before the year. after...yes.

YEP....not a rumor

I disagree with you thinking that Bozak was a bc before the year. after...yes.

Your probably right. Although the stats he put up in the BC were absolutely sick. I don't know them off the top of my head but I know he had more then Turris. (Although Turris played a lot less games and had a higher pts per game ratio)

MacWilliam or Feinhage will come in.

Heisenberg has Fienhage listed as an 09 now, and both MacWilliam and Gleason as 08 or 09 recruits. If he is correct, it would be Gleason and/or MacWilliam joining Blood this fall depending on the decisions of Chorney & Finley.

Heisenberg has Fienhage listed as an 09 now, and both MacWilliam and Gleason as 08 or 09 recruits. If he is correct, it would be Gleason and/or MacWilliam joining Blood this fall depending on the decisions of Chorney & Finley.

your right, i mixed gleason and feinhage around. im not sure which of those i would pick to bring in...gleason is fast, but mac is big...