Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SiouxVolley

New AD posting and hiring process

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

You obviously have some insight I don't, but the Big Sky and NCHC happened well before Schafer ever stepped on campus. I know for a fact that while it was publicly stated that there was no interest from the Summit/MVFC, that there still was continuous contact by UND gauging interest and let it be known that they were open to the possibility, again, well before either ever made it to campus. Were the budget cuts that were unattainable without a giant shift the final straws that put the move over the edge? Without a doubt, but that still doesn't happen without previous groundwork laid. Yes, Kennedy was involved, but considering University President's have the final say on conference affiliations, that is no surprise. The timing with some possible upcoming issues with other MVFC schools and more schools leaving the Summit certainly didn't hurt matters either, basically forcing the Summit to make a move and knowing that it couldn't be made without the MVFC's help.

The overlap between the two presidents you mentioned and BF was 2 years out of his 9.5+ year tenure. I think he probably stayed in the job 1-2 years too long but with the other turmoil on campus, it would have been even worse to try to bring a new person into that role and handle some of the messes he dealt with. Like I said, he was far from perfect, but to say he didn't do anything good is a stretch.

We disagree.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

I disagree. With the exception of the NCHC, which I cant say for sure, Faison was FORCED to do most everything else. Kennedy and Schafer were the ones doing his job for him. Kennedy specifically gave directives on the Summit/MVFC and the budget cuts, which Faison should have proactively been in front of on his own. 

Football alums were told by Faison that the Summit/MVFC had no interest in having UND in their conference.That was all Kennedy's doing. Kennedy arrives on campus and magically the tone changes within the next 6-9 months for the Summit/MVFC? He was a hindrance more than anything regarding the conference move.

His hyper-delegation of duties and responsibilities were another big problem. Repeatedly falling asleep in important administrative meetings was another. Faison fell short in so many areas and basically just coasted when he was allowed to.  It's no coicidence that Faison was forced out when he was. Kennedy had seen and had enough in a very short time period.

 

Und quite frankly could have gained Summit/MVFC membership if they had so desired at any point after 2010.  It was not pursued due to Faison Butt hurt with the initial Summit negotiations.  Und was in a leverage position the whole time, go figure.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

We disagree.

No worries, reasonable people can do that. I know you have good reason for your thoughts and opinions.

 

Quote

Und quite frankly could have gained Summit/MVFC membership if they had so desired at any point after 2010.  It was not pursued due to Faison Butt hurt with the initial Summit negotiations.  Und was in a leverage position the whole time, go figure.

Summit, probably. MVFC, no. What exactly was Faison upset about? It needed to be a Summit/MVFC package, which wasn't on the table. Douple was the one who was spurned when UND cancelled their visit. He proved it when he failed to act on UND's baseball affiliation application to the Summit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

We disagree.

We agree. If there’s one thing that does bode well in this area is a mix of arrogance and sloth. If he had put the same effort in to the phones and schmoozing as he did at the buffet table we would be in a much better position than we are now.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

We agree. If there’s one thing that does bode well in this area is a mix of arrogance and sloth. If he had put the same effort in to the phones and schmoozing as he did at the buffet table we would be in a much better position than we are now.

#saladssuck

#moregraveyplease

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

 

"Bill, Brad S here from the Grand Forks Herald.  Can you tell me what your plan of action is for reinstating women's hockey at the University of North Dakota and how soon you will make that happen?"  

"Brad, I appreciate the question. I anticipate once "our Olympians" finally win the gold medal at this Olympics and can parlay that into lucrative endorsement deals for themselves with Polaris, Old Dutch Foods and Sanford Health and can help offset some of the financial cost to reinstate women's hock..................................I guess what I'm saying is it will never happen!"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

"Brad, I appreciate the question. I anticipate once "our Olympians" finally win the gold medal at this Olympics and can parlay that into lucrative endorsement deals for themselves with Polaris, Old Dutch Foods and Sanford Health and can help offset some of the financial cost to reinstate women's hock..................................I guess what I'm saying is it will never happen!"

They could move the women’s team to a local park for the games to make it look like a full environment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

"Brad, I appreciate the question. I anticipate once "our Olympians" finally win the gold medal at this Olympics and can parlay that into lucrative endorsement deals for themselves with Polaris, Old Dutch Foods and Sanford Health and can help offset some of the financial cost to reinstate women's hock..................................I guess what I'm saying is it will never happen!"

Ummm...don't you mean endorsement deals with firms like Finnair, Skoda, and Orange?  :lol:

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MafiaMan said:

Ummm...don't you mean endorsement deals with firms like Finnair, Skoda, and Orange?  :lol:

Maybe they are holding out for a Tissot deal...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

"Bill, Brad S here from the Grand Forks Herald.  Can you tell me what your plan of action is for reinstating women's hockey at the University of North Dakota and how soon you will make that happen?"  

"Hi Brad, thanks for the question.  Ummmm..."

(leans over to President Kennedy and whispers in his ear)

"Pssst...Mark, you guys had a WOMENS hockey team here?"

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, TRex said:

Roger Thomas?   Geez Louise, he was as bad you could get.    His hatred for NDSU pretty much screwed UND over for years.    I'm sure the only reason he wouldn't push for us to move up was he wanted NDSU to fall flat on their faces, and ending the games with them hurt us far more than it did them.   We should have pulled the trigger and moved up the day after the Bison did.   In fact, we should have moved up the day before they did and been the leader for once.  RT set us back 10 years.

Quite literally.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TRex said:

Roger Thomas?   Geez Louise, he was as bad you could get.    His hatred for NDSU pretty much screwed UND over for years.  I'm sure the only reason he wouldn't push for us to move up was he wanted NDSU to fall flat on their faces, and ending the games with them hurt us far more than it did them.   We should have pulled the trigger and moved up the day after the Bison did.

Well, to be fair to Roger, UND steamrolled thru D2 and won multiple football championships after NDSU left.  Oh, wait...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Well, to be fair to Roger, UND steamrolled thru D2 and won multiple football championships after NDSU left.  Oh, wait...

What makes a successful AD? Championships? Out of work manner (talk to people, shake hands etc.)? Conference affiliation?  From 1999-2005, UND won National titles in women's basketball (99), hockey (00), football (01) all while NDSU was still in DII. Should we have left in 04 with NDSU sure, but up to that point I think he did a great job with sports.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

What makes a successful AD? Championships? Out of work manner (talk to people, shake hands etc.)? Conference affiliation?  From 1999-2005, UND won National titles in women's basketball (99), hockey (00), football (01) all while NDSU was still in DII. Should we have left in 04 with NDSU sure, but up to that point I think he did a great job with sports.

1.) Championships

2.) Foundation for Championship caliber coaches and teams  (facilities and $$)

3.) Athletics/UND/Community synonymous with each other

4.) Athletic Alumni Base, Needs to be HUGE!! (we can do better)($$)

5.) Can't think of anything else...........

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

What makes a successful AD? Championships? Out of work manner (talk to people, shake hands etc.)? Conference affiliation?  From 1999-2005, UND won National titles in women's basketball (99), hockey (00), football (01) all while NDSU was still in DII. Should we have left in 04 with NDSU sure, but up to that point I think he did a great job with sports.

Once again...this is a key responsibility of an AD, not an "outside the workplace" characteristic.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

Once again...this is a key responsibility of an AD, not an "outside the workplace" characteristic.  

It's part of the job.  24/7/365  at that level.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

1.) Championships

2.) Foundation for Championship caliber coaches and teams  (facilities and $$)

3.) Athletics/UND/Community synonymous with each other

4.) Athletic Alumni Base, Needs to be HUGE!! (we can do better)($$)

5.) Can't think of anything else...........Simply saying hello to Alumni at events and games.

fixed #5

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, TRex said:

Roger Thomas?   Geez Louise, he was as bad you could get.    His hatred for NDSU pretty much screwed UND over for years.    I'm sure the only reason he wouldn't push for us to move up was he wanted NDSU to fall flat on their faces, and ending the games with them hurt us far more than it did them.   We should have pulled the trigger and moved up the day after the Bison did.   In fact, we should have moved up the day before they did and been the leader for once.  RT set us back 10 years.

Monday morning QB’ing right there.  Roger had almost unanimous support from admin, fans, media, etc, etc.  Go read what your media had to say in 2003.  Rogers position was strongly support by the loud voice of, we are already DI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Herd said:

Monday morning QB’ing right there.  Roger had almost unanimous support from admin, fans, media, etc, etc.  Go read what your media had to say in 2003.  Rogers position was strongly support by the loud voice of, we are already DI.

And your point?  It doesn't matter what people thought at the time, in hindsight, he had some major miss-steps when it came to the D1 decision, etc.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

And your point?  It doesn't matter what people thought at the time, in hindsight, he had some major miss-steps when it came to the D1 decision, etc.  

My point, don’t act like RT was in the 1%, he was in the 99%.  Heck it was 50/50 down south with the water already going over the bridge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, TRex said:

Roger Thomas?   Geez Louise, he was as bad you could get.    His hatred for NDSU pretty much screwed UND over for years.   

No. I believe it was that Roger Thomas lacked a growth mindset

I've said before Fargo is aggressive (cocksure) to a fault and Grand Forks is conservative (self doubting) to a fault.

I hereby update that to Fargo's "growth mindset" dominates to a fault and Grand Forks' "fixed mindset" dominates to a fault. 

 

I strongly recommend folks read Dweck's book (linked above). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

No. I believe it was that Roger Thomas lacked a growth mindset

I've said before Fargo is aggressive (cocksure) to a fault and Grand Forks is conservative (self doubting) to a fault.

I hereby update that to Fargo's "growth mindset" dominates to a fault and Grand Forks' "fixed mindset" dominates to a fault. 

 

I strongly recommend folks read Dweck's book (linked above). 

OK, but the people that had the mindset to let NDSU not only move up but totally run away from us talent wise put us in a hole that will be very difficult to overcome now.   We were coming off a Nat in 2001 and had RT pulled the trigger about 2003 and moved up things would have been a lot better.   Maybe GF does think different than Fargo, but that's no reason to play second fiddle to the school down the road and up the river with 6 D1 Nats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Herd said:

Monday morning QB’ing right there.  Roger had almost unanimous support from admin, fans, media, etc, etc.  Go read what your media had to say in 2003.  Rogers position was strongly support by the loud voice of, we are already DI.

Do you have a link to that

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×