SiouxSports.com Forum

New AD posting and hiring process

SiouxVolley

14 minutes ago, coachdags said:

Chaves May have indeed been the best candidate....

I’m saddened by the way this institution seems to devalue a person who is educated at UND or from ND. 

Where would we be without Starcher, Clifford, Odegard, Bruce Smith, Davies, Burdick, Wrigley, Schaefer and more?

In Athletics Roebuck, Ziegler, Lennon, Schweigert, Hakstol, Berry, Engelstad, Stromberg, Gasparini , Murphy, and more....

This coming from me, a guy with only a HS Education out of Colorado...#sad

Should I advise my grandkids to be educated elsewhere if you ever want a chance at a meaningful job at UND.....

I believe we have had more success from within, then the key hires we have brought in.... 

I wanted Mike....

Welcome and Congratulations to Bill Chaves.

So you just listed a lot of UND grads who had success coming back, but are questioning if UND hires from within?  And it's because a significantly under qualified great guy didn't get a job this time around. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, southpaw said:

So you just listed a lot of UND grads who had success coming back, but are questioning if UND hires from within?  And it's because a significantly under qualified great guy didn't get a job this time around. 

Criticizing a comment again?  Oh my word.  Our negative Nellie strikes again.

• Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Congrats Mr Chaves and best of luck.

Know I'll be excoriated for this but big changes are coming to the Big Sky.

My feelings is Chaves knew EWU couldn't hang with the Idaho,  the Montanas, and UND when they split off.  Weber St will take their place and Chaves already knows this, so he cut and ran to a better job.  The fundraising job at EWU was just too much for FBS.

I thought EWU was part of the Summit/Big Sky/WAC FBS.

3 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So we hired a guy that over saw a near $6 million deficit in the EWU athletic department.........and his biggest 2 achievements $wise is less than $3 million combined.  Ohh boy-

I hope he leaves this part of his vast experience back in Cheney.

1 hour ago, coachdags said:

Chaves May have indeed been the best candidate....

I’m saddened by the way this institution seems to devalue a person who is educated at UND or from ND. 

Where would we be without Starcher, Clifford, Odegard, Bruce Smith, Davies, Burdick, Wrigley, Schaefer and more?

In Athletics Roebuck, Ziegler, Lennon, Schweigert, Hakstol, Berry, Engelstad, Stromberg, Gasparini , Murphy, and more....

This coming from me, a guy with only a HS Education out of Colorado...#sad

Should I advise my grandkids to be educated elsewhere if you ever want a chance at a meaningful job at UND.....

I believe we have had more success from within, then the key hires we have brought in.... 

I wanted Mike....

Welcome and Congratulations to Bill Chaves.

No clue who applied, how the interviews went, etc.  Do you really think Mannasau was "devalued" because he had a UND background?  It seems like certain folks believe that people with UND ties should get the job over more qualified individuals, simply because of the "good old boy" angle. I believe everyone was judged based on their qualifications, and points were not given or taken away based on ties to UND.  This is precisely how it should be, and is very refreshing. GO UND! 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

So we hired a guy that over saw a near $6 million deficit in the EWU athletic department.........and his biggest 2 achievements $wise is less than $3 million combined.  Ohh boy-

I hope he leaves this part of his vast experience back in Cheney.

That’s a pretty damning article. Mr Chaves can consider himself lucky that story didn’t come out a day or two earlier. Here’s to hoping Kennedy had this knowledge and determined he was still the best choice.... but I’m imagining him having some buyers remorse.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

So the school is running a $6 million deficit and they want the athletic department to do some belt tightening and play more guarantee games to help lessen it. Not sure what part of that makes Chaves look bad?

Instead, university president Mary Cullinan and the EWU administration are “looking to athletics to provide cost-control measures” to mitigate a cumulative budget deficit of $5.8 million, a school spokesman told The Spokesman-Review.

Also in the article, EWU peer programs are spending $10 and $14 million on athletic facilities and even lower division schools are making upgrades while EWU plans to penny pinch to a balanced budget.  And what is the big push at UND....phase II.  This is very disturbing.  If your finances are not in order, everything else becomes moot.  So Chaves will have to rely heavily on others to keep $$ in order, that is what I am seeing.

10 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Also in the article, EWU peer programs are spending $10 and $14 million on athletic facilities and even lower division schools are making upgrades while EWU plans to penny pinch to a balanced budget.  And what is the big push at UND....phase II.  This is very disturbing.  If your finances are not in order, everything else becomes moot.  So Chaves will have to rely heavily on others to keep $$ in order, that is what I am seeing.

That budget deficit didn't have anything to do with Chaves, if you read the story critically.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SiouxFallsSioux/Hawk said:

That’s a pretty damning article. Mr Chaves can consider himself lucky that story didn’t come out a day or two earlier. Here’s to hoping Kennedy had this knowledge and determined he was still the best choice.... but I’m imagining him having some buyers remorse.  

I'm search the search committee was aware and therefore Pres. Kennedy as well.  A Google search results indicates EWU budget problems as well over the past few years.  Everyone knew from reports fundraising was not his strong suit.  I hope be brings in MM to help with this and give Mike more experience in other areas.  Could be the best of both worlds.

10 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Not sure this is on Chaves, at least not completely. Cheney, Wash. is a small community that competes against many DI regional institutions; it is very difficult to do what they have done for the past 10 years athletically. The budget crisis is a university issue, not solely an athletic department issue; however, the athletic department would need to change in order to address this university fiscal issue.

At UND, we should all be familiar with such situations and know how tough it is to come out looking good to everyone. 

Chaves will hang his hat on successful FCS football and basketball while maintaining hockey; those are my views for UND going forward too so I endorse that. Lastly, Chaves' #1 project will be HPC phase II and we should all support him to get that done ASAP. 

5 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

I'm search the search committee was aware and therefore Pres. Kennedy as well.  A Google search results indicates EWU budget problems as well over the past few years.  Everyone knew from reports fundraising was not his strong suit.  I hope be brings in MM to help with this and give Mike more experience in other areas.  Could be the best of both worlds.

MM has been here all along; not sure why people think bumping him to AD would suddenly increase fundraising for football and basketball ...

He's well formed and in touch with the UND culture; that is, appease the UND hockey only crowd before all else - 

I understand this is a controversial topic and many get quite sensitive with it (it is what it is at UND crowd vs. priorities can and should change crowd), but I think it's worth considering with a open mind. 

10 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

MM has been here all along; not sure why people think bumping him to AD would suddenly increase fundraising for football and basketball ...

He's well formed and in touch with the UND culture; that is, appease the UND hockey only crowd before all else - 

I understand this is a controversial topic and many get quite sensitive with it (it is what it is at UND crowd vs. priorities can and should change crowd), but I think it's worth considering with a open mind. 

Do you write a check to Stepps, Rudy, Fruend, or do you have Bubba in mind when donating to football? Just curious.

EWU budget issues of course not all on Chaves, but 10 years and no responsibility, ya OK?  

10 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

There is also a heck of a lot more competition for athletic programs out in Washington than there are here in North Dakota. IMHO, this was the only qualified candidate of the final 4. Mannausau simply isn't a qualified candidate at this point in time. Chaves was giving a clearance section budget and accompolished a ton with it. I for one would be very very angry if we justified hiring someone from within when he only real qualification for the position is fundraising.  Chaves is certainly not the perfect candidate but his resume speaks for itself. I would have loved to hire in house, but you have to have a qualified applicant first. Welcome to UND Mr. Chaves.

2 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Do you write a check to Stepps, Rudy, Fruend, or do you have Bubba in mind when donating to football? Just curious.

EWU budget issues of course not all on Chaves, but 10 years and no responsibility, ya OK?  

Of course some of it is on him but to run a top flight FCS program on a budget of what he was given, give the guy some credit. What more could he possibly have done?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Really?  You don't think leadership within the athletic department has anything to do with donors' willingness to give large amounts of money?  If a donor doesnt believe in the leader, then there can and will be hesitancy.

Haven't you stated your feelings on Faison specifically regarding that?  In fact, I think we have been on the same page that way. Donors may have been holding back because of him, although I cant say for sure.

I'm not saying that if Mannausau was named the AD that the project is a done deal within a few weeks.  Only that the face of the franchise (UND Athletics) can be the deciding factor for many in making big money donations.

My preference was for Mannausau, and I believe he had the highest ceiling for UND at this moment and time.  However, Chaves is more than qualified and I can certainly understand and respect how the decision was made to hire him.

IF the consolation prize for myself and others is to have Chaves as the AD with Mannausau being "upped" as his deputy and external ops guy (fundraising etc) while he gets his feet wet and gains experience to be ready for the next time around, then I'd say I'm ok with that.  The biggest question is: is Mannausau OK with that? Losing him altogether would be the worst case scenario for UND. 

Good luck to Bill Chaves. I obviously hope for nothing but the best for him and the future success of UND Athletics. 

Let's get stuff done.

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I usually just write it to UND football in hopes it gets to the right place; have never followed it up to see if it actually gets there. Hope Faison's department wasn't run that low.

As for EWU and Chaves, I think it's best to embrace this as positive for UND and not try to find negativities. Chaves will bring experience and ideas from a successful FCS football program - that should be a positive. HPC phase II will positively affect UND football more than any other program, bar none. 

7 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I usually just write it to UND football in hopes it gets to the right place; have never followed it up to see if it actually gets there. Hope Faison's department wasn't run that low.

As for EWU and Chaves, I think it's best to embrace this as positive for UND and not try to find negativities. Chaves will bring experience and ideas from a successful FCS football program - that should be a positive. HPC phase II will positively affect UND football more than any other program, bar none. 

Let the dating process begin!!

For some, not Faison will be enough.

Others, maybe even a majority, probably need Mike elevated. 

A few will sit out or not give as much without Mike in the lead. 

These are the realities.