SiouxSports.com Forum

New AD posting and hiring process

SiouxVolley

3 hours ago, Herd said:

Monday morning QB’ing right there.  Roger had almost unanimous support from admin, fans, media, etc, etc.  Go read what your media had to say in 2003.  Rogers position was strongly support by the loud voice of, we are already DI.

When your Cousin Eddie from up north stopped the series the celebrations started. Some SU supporters were quoted saying they were disappointed but they weren't. Big win for SU that decision.  

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

No. I believe it was that Roger Thomas lacked a growth mindset

I've said before Fargo is aggressive (cocksure) to a fault and Grand Forks is conservative (self doubting) to a fault.

I hereby update that to Fargo's "growth mindset" dominates to a fault and Grand Forks' "fixed mindset" dominates to a fault. 

I strongly recommend folks read Dweck's book (linked above). 

There was a time when the good old boys in GF wanted to keep competition and unions out. GF not alone on that. After the base closed and the flood that changed. Guys like Hal Gershman and Gerald Groenewold tried to change that. 

I know 3 guys who worked at EERC and they would tell me how hard they were trying to bring in companies to GF to work with EERC. EERC was not going to bring industry jobs to GF. When Groenewold told Bismarck to stick it when they wanted I'm to move his operation to Bismarck. His fate was sealed. 

Because of his refusal to move EERC his dream of jobs and industry would not happen. Ad his days of leadership there were numbered. When the state deems you not worthy of growth, growth will not happen.

3 hours ago, TRex said:

OK, but the people that had the mindset to let NDSU not only move up but totally run away from us talent wise put us in a hole that will be very difficult to overcome now.   We were coming off a Nat in 2001 and had RT pulled the trigger about 2003 and moved up things would have been a lot better.   Maybe GF does think different than Fargo, but that's no reason to play second fiddle to the school down the road and up the river with 6 D1 Nats.

It is correct that Roger was not in favor of the move up back then but, even if he had been, there is no way it wouldn't have happened under Kupchalla.    

4 hours ago, TRex said:

OK, but the people that had the mindset to let NDSU not only move up but totally run away from us talent wise put us in a hole that will be very difficult to overcome now.   We were coming off a Nat in 2001 and had RT pulled the trigger about 2003 and moved up things would have been a lot better.   Maybe GF does think different than Fargo, but that's no reason to play second fiddle to the school down the road and up the river with 6 D1 Nats.

We'll get there, it will just take time.

It's either keep working until we get to where we want to get to or move back down to D-II.

And I think the choice is obvious.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, moser53 said:

There was a time when the good old boys in GF wanted to keep competition and unions out. GF not alone on that. After the base closed and the flood that changed. Guys like Hal Gershman and Gerald Groenewold tried to change that. 

I know 3 guys who worked at EERC and they would tell me how hard they were trying to bring in companies to GF to work with EERC. EERC was not going to bring industry jobs to GF. When Groenewold told Bismarck to stick it when they wanted I'm to move his operation to Bismarck. His fate was sealed. 

Because of his refusal to move EERC his dream of jobs and industry would not happen. Ad his days of leadership there were numbered. When the state deems you not worthy of growth, growth will not happen.

I think Gershman and Groenewald are still in GF at least part time. Love to hire those 2 with a big budget to create jobs.

23 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Do you have a source for this one?  As an alum, I was waiting for an announcement from the UND athletic department the following morning that the Fighting Sioux were also going to move up a notch from DII.  When the announcement was finally made that North Dakota was "happy" staying right where they were, my immediate reaction was that they were making a GIGANTIC mistake by allowing the school to not remain in at the same level as NDSU.  And I would bet that I'm not NEARLY the only one who felt that way.  I question your "unanimous" support.  

The revisionist history about how that time period transpired is almost comical.  

15 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

Chapman-Taylor were playing chess while Kupchella-Thomas were at the checker board during this point in time.   

Chapman was playing a shell game with the department surplus's on campus to make the move work.  And royally pissing off the department heads in the process.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

Did the end justify the means?  That's subject to debate.   

Point being that when UND was moving around funds to cover athletic deficits there were front page articles and mass hysteria, calling for heads.  They do it down south and not a peep, all swept under the rug. 

17 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Point being that when UND was moving around funds to cover athletic deficits there were front page articles and mass hysteria, calling for heads.  They do it down south and not a peep, all swept under the rug. 

Because it coincided with success. Had they sucked there would have been a fuss.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Because it coincided with success. Had they sucked there would have been a fuss.

Both you and UND-1 are spot on. UND could have done it, too, but it would have entailed hitting academics hard. Choices were made, and now here we are.... it is what it is. Maybe we should quit looking back so much (and over the fence for that matter)....grass is always greener around the outhouse. :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I am not sure if it ever came out as to whether Josh Morton ever officially applied for the A.D position at UND but if he didn't he has to be kicking himself right now as the Michigan State Athletic department and University in general are imploding. I am guessing he has freshened up his resume.

50 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I am not sure if it ever came out as to whether Josh Morton ever officially applied for the A.D position at UND but if he didn't he has to be kicking himself right now as the Michigan State Athletic department and University in general are imploding. I am guessing he has freshened up his resume.

One good thing about the AD pick . It was here in GF and looked like an open process. 

17 hours ago, petey23 said:

Morton officially applied and interviewed.

18 hours ago, petey23 said:

With what’s going on at Michigan State, I figured he wasn't going to get the job.

18 hours ago, petey23 said:

I thought the same thing yesterday until I went to Michigan State's Athletic Department site. Based on comments on this board, I was under the impression that his experience and position are greater than they actually are. He is one of six (6) Assistant ADs, who are below seven (7) Associate ADs, who are below three (3) Senior Associate ADs, who are below four (4) Executive Associate ADs, who are below the Deputy Associate AD and the head Athletic Director. 

There are nineteen (19) other ADs listed above him on MSU's directory, I really doubt that his position is in jeopardy unless he is directly implicated to this unfortunate situation. It's more likely that he could move up the organization chart with some likely turnover at the top of the department.

• Upvote 1