Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
geaux_sioux

Gameday: UND vs Da other Bears

Recommended Posts

Couple thoughts on the day...

dline played much better and was good throughout the game. 

Cam really helps at inside...he is a big dude and filled nicely today. 

We are going to need to get pressure next week to help out our dbacks...hunt missed timed two balls today that should have been ints. I liked bringing the safety’s today...hopefully Cole  is ready next week and Tamas is ok. We need depth there. 

Lawerence had a very solid game. 

Still can’t figure out out run game. Watched a little of the Youngstown game. They run zone well and I would really like to see us run some straight zone plays. Both inside and outside. Stretch could be great with our backs. 

Keaton was great today. 

Wrs still need to do a better job of catching the ball in traffic. 

Coyd played the best game of his career. Caught the ball well and seemed to block better today. 

Online had some missed assignments but in general were getting on people. We can’t leave points on the field when we are inside the the 5. 

All three backs played pretty well. I would like to see JJ return kicks with John. 

Nice win! Let’s get the griz. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The offense should be alright. Two more years with this crop of RB/WR. If Cloyd continues to develop plus the guy from Montana next year is as good as advertised we could be set at TE. It's the O/Line that is where UND has to improve. We could use an FCS drop down or two.  I don't see Taylor coming back. When healthy he was arguably our best lineman. We have three Junior QB's. Plus it sounds like our freshman QB looks pretty impressive so we should be good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sloppy win considering the yardage differential. The turnovers were awful and they made the game closer than it should've been against a poor UNC team.

Either way, it's a must needed win that will provide confidence going into difficult Washington-Griz Stadium. 

The youth getting reps for UND now will likely pay dividends next season. As for now, it creates turnovers and lackluster defense. The secondary is quite horrid but those youngs kids (Blubaugh, Canadby, Hunt, etc.) are getting reps that will be very valuable moving forward.

Montana Griz are nothing special this year. Still a very tough place to play but a win against Montana and UND could find some momentum in an otherwise youthful rebuilding year. Reyes and Disterhaupt back for the Montana game would be quite big. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spent a lot of time watching Hunt. He is a bull, built like a keg. Very aggressive on the run, but more than one time, his rush to the ball took him out position and the RB cut to the space he vacated. Still learning.

Can anyone tell me what Rooney did on the PAT? I heard the ref say "spiking" and must have either misheard as I don't know what that is that it merits a DQ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, shep said:

Spent a lot of time watching Hunt. He is a bull, built like a keg. Very aggressive on the run, but more than one time, his rush to the ball took him out position and the RB cut to the space he vacated. Still learning.

Can anyone tell me what Rooney did on the PAT? I heard the ref say "spiking" and must have either misheard as I don't know what that is that it merits a DQ.

"Striking" as in he threw a punch.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

What the f do you mean?  A 4 point game isn't good enough to stick around?  I have photos dumb A.   It was pathetic.

They stuck around the 1st 2 games. Quite frankly, I'm impressed they even showed up at all today with how results have went the last 3 weeks. We can work with that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Parkers Pros said:

The offense should be alright. Two more years with this crop of RB/WR. If Cloyd continues to develop plus the guy from Montana next year is as good as advertised we could be set at TE. It's the O/Line that is where UND has to improve. We could use an FCS drop down or two.  I don't see Taylor coming back. When healthy he was arguably our best lineman. We have three Junior QB's. Plus it sounds like our freshman QB looks pretty impressive so we should be good. 

Disagree on Taylor. When healthy he was not our best lineman - he lost his starting job in week 2 because of poor play and didn't play well last year either. People on the team could t believe it when he was named 3rd team all conference last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stromer said:

They stuck around the 1st 2 games. Quite frankly, I'm impressed they even showed up at all today with how results have went the last 3 weeks. We can work with that.

Students showed up, the 3 student sections tickets were taken and bought additional tickets. That's a good start, now have to get them to stay, that will come with winning. Again there we tons of students that were at tail gating that walked away just prior to the game. The day will come when the public buys up the seats, in the Hawk's Nest outside of the student sections, and the students will be wishing they could get tickets.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was nice to see a sense of urgency from slot of guys yesterday. On that first red zone 4th down Studs was screaming at the sideline to go for it. We did and we scored a TD. That’s the type of stuff I’ve been waiting to see all year.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stromer said:

They stuck around the 1st 2 games. Quite frankly, I'm impressed they even showed up at all today with how results have went the last 3 weeks. We can work with that.

Fair enough.  Sorry about the language, that was the goose/red bull talking.  We have to work with ticket master and oversell the student section.   It is what it is.  The in-game committee will be contacted.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

Disagree on Taylor. When healthy he was not our best lineman - he lost his starting job in week 2 because of poor play and didn't play well last year either. People on the team could t believe it when he was named 3rd team all conference last year. 

I'm no expert on lineman so I defer to your expertise. The rumblings I heard was he was solid and wasn't playing motivated football and the benching was a wake up call. Seems now there is no waking up what was ailing that kid. Too bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A win against a poor team, no matter how, is always better than a loss against a poor team. UND has ALOT of work to do yet, but that work is so much more doable after a win than a loss. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgot to post about Torrey Hunt. Defensively, it appears he made a visit to the wizard last week. He was making tackles all over the field and was very aggressive. He did a really good job all game. Special teams he made some mistakes but his performance at corner was much more important. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Forgot to post about Torrey Hunt. Defensively, it appears he made a visit to the wizard last week. He was making tackles all over the field and was very aggressive. He did a really good job all game. Special teams he made some mistakes but his performance at corner was much more important. 

Was good to see Hunt play well, we need so much of this. Now, hopefully we get some injured players back for Montana and improve some more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Forgot to post about Torrey Hunt. Defensively, it appears he made a visit to the wizard last week. He was making tackles all over the field and was very aggressive. He did a really good job all game. Special teams he made some mistakes but his performance at corner was much more important. 

Wish he would have got that 50/50 ball in the middle of the field. That jump was just mistimed. At least, he didn't get inured on the play like Tyus did last year against USD.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Wish he would have got that 50/50 ball in the middle of the field. That jump was just mistimed. At least, he didn't get inured on the play like Tyus did last year against USD.

Yup. That would have been a huge play to start the half had he made it. He needs to make that next time. Can’t let a smaller wr jump through you when you have leverage. But I’ll take the progression because he was brutal in previous games. Made huge strides last game from a desire standpoint and it translated to him making loads of tackles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2017 at 6:17 PM, ND1 said:

Bubba coaches the secondary 

 

On 10/7/2017 at 8:18 PM, fightingsioux4life said:

This is part of the problem. Bubba needs to delegate more. He's a head coach now.

Travis Stepps is the secondary coach. He's fighting an uphill battle with 2 back-ups starting at corner and a 3rd stringer at FS. They'll have their ups and downs, but when you lose 2 all-Americans and replace them with guys who have minimal experience, that will happen.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

 

Travis Stepps is the secondary coach. He's fighting an uphill battle with 2 back-ups starting at corner and a 3rd stringer at FS. They'll have their ups and downs, but when you lose 2 all-Americans and replace them with guys who have minimal experience, that will happen.

That’s where Bubba needs to recruit better depth unless these kids are getting thrown to the wolves without time to develop. The phrase is Next Man Up, well let’s the skills into these kids if “Man Up” happens.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

That’s where Bubba needs to recruit better depth unless these kids are getting thrown to the wolves without time to develop. The phrase is Next Man Up, well let’s the skills into these kids if “Man Up” happens.

How much "depth" do you think Bubba should build? Before the season started, the depth chart would have been something like SR/SR/SR/SO backed up by SO/JR/RFr/JR. They were plenty deep until 3 starters and a back-up got hurt. When half of your 2-deep in the secondary is on the sidelines, there isn't much of a choice but to throw whoever is left to the wolves and develop them on the spot since that's the only choice. And it doesn't matter how much "depth" you have, you don't just replace 2 all-Americans in the secondary, one who basically takes away half the field from the offense and the other who patrols the back half of the other half and makes big play after big play.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Travis Stepps is the secondary coach. He's fighting an uphill battle with 2 back-ups starting at corner and a 3rd stringer at FS. They'll have their ups and downs, but when you lose 2 all-Americans and replace them with guys who have minimal experience, that will happen.

I was responding to the comment that Bubba does the secondary coaching. If that isn't true, then I will happily retract the "delegating" comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

How much "depth" do you think Bubba should build? Before the season started, the depth chart would have been something like SR/SR/SR/SO backed up by SO/JR/RFr/JR. They were plenty deep until 3 starters and a back-up got hurt. When half of your 2-deep in the secondary is on the sidelines, there isn't much of a choice but to throw whoever is left to the wolves and develop them on the spot since that's the only choice. And it doesn't matter how much "depth" you have, you don't just replace 2 all-Americans in the secondary, one who basically takes away half the field from the offense and the other who patrols the back half of the other half and makes big play after big play.

I said better depth not more depth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×