SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

5 hours ago, darell1976 said:

No checking makes it boring to watch. Add checking and it will up the excitement.

I agree, everyone has their own definition of boring, or horrible.  It is what it is....  Golf has no contact and seems to be popular, what is that all about?

14 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I agree, everyone has their own definition of boring, or horrible.  It is what it is....  Golf has no contact and seems to be popular, what is that all about?

...and Women's golf?  I think comparison thinking is what hurts.

Their are now more girls lacrosse players in MN than girls hockey players.  Yet MN has 5 DI WIH teams vs 0 DI lax teams.

Womens lax should be the next program UND starts, if it needs to start one.  So much cheaper and can actually help enrollment much more than WIH.  It’s actually growing around the world.

https://www.mnlaxhub.com/news_article/show/815030-girls-lacrosse-continues-its-accelerated-growth-across-minnesota

Just now, SiouxVolley said:

Their are now more girls lacrosse players in MN than girls hockey players.  Yet MN has 5 WIH teams vs 0 DI lax teams.

Womens lax should be the next program UND starts, if it needs to start one.  So much cheaper.

https://www.mnlaxhub.com/news_article/show/815030-girls-lacrosse-continues-its-accelerated-growth-across-minnesota

Great, another highly sexist sport where the girls apparently need to be protected from themselves....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Great, another highly sexist sport where the girls apparently need to be protected from themselves....

if there was a double header of und men's and women's lax at the alerus today that would something i would go to for sure.

Did anyone get the new numbers from 2017 on AD revenues for UND...Did the Football team turn it around given last season's disappointment?  I'm thinking that the whole department would greatly benefit from the FB program producing at break-even or at less than a $500k loss overall - When they cut WIH, didn't FB and WIH have about the same loss to the AD overall (~$2-2.5mil loss)?  It will be interesting to see what the impact was on MH revenue given the up and down season we had and the miss on tournament...

On 4/10/2018 at 11:06 AM, BobIwabuchiFan said:

Did anyone get the new numbers from 2017 on AD revenues for UND...Did the Football team turn it around given last season's disappointment?  I'm thinking that the whole department would greatly benefit from the FB program producing at break-even or at less than a $500k loss overall - When they cut WIH, didn't FB and WIH have about the same loss to the AD overall (~$2-2.5mil loss)?  It will be interesting to see what the impact was on MH revenue given the up and down season we had and the miss on tournament...

Are you comparing Women's Hockey and Football as apples to apples?

It would be very hard for FB to come close to break even.  Only have a 12K seat stadium.  

58 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Are you comparing Women's Hockey and Football as apples to apples?

It would be very hard for FB to come close to break even.  Only have a 12K seat stadium.  

No, I'm just using the information provided by the AD stating what the costs and associated revenues were for each sport.  I believe that the last information I received it showed the loss was relatively the same for each program.  It would be hard for me to assess the outside contributions of each sports alumni when its not documented.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, BobIwabuchiFan said:

No, I'm just using the information provided by the AD stating what the costs and associated revenues were for each sport.  I believe that the last information I received it showed the loss was relatively the same for each program.  It would be hard for me to assess the outside contributions of each sports alumni when its not documented.

You could use logic.  Football raised over 20 million for the High Performance Center, which benefits multiple sports on campus.  There are also required champions club donations for season tickets.  You are being biased by ignoring donations.  Logic - What fan base will donate more money, a team with an average attendance of 10,000 or 500? 

• Upvote 1

i heard that one of the lamerioux twins golfed with kaitlyn jenner when she was in la...she refers to her as kaitlyn and refers to her as a woman...which is fine and dandy BUT does she not realize aligning yourself on that side of the debate ensures the end of FEMALE athletics as she knows it?

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

The first half of this sure reads like the way a different NDUS school measures their Title IX compliance, not UND. Anyone know the particular reason this was filed against NDUS instead of UND? Is it because UND showed that they, as an individual institution, were in compliance? I mean they were literally cleared by the group that is charge of Title IX compliance, so there has to be something different here. And the article is very clear in stating NDUS not UND.

“Plaintiffs seek to represent a class of all current, prospective, and future female students who are harmed by and want to end the University’s sex discrimination and violation of Title IX as demonstrated by its repeated failure to determine the athletic interests and abilities of women students and women athletes before it eliminated the women’s ice-hockey program.”

33 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Wonder if Dan Siegel was the instigator.

He can afford it with all the money he and the UMD coach highjacked from the Minnesota treasury.  These trial lawyers are just a modern day version of the Jesse James gang, just find a law that may have a loophole.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Surprise surprise, they saw what Shannon Miller got and thought why not. I’ll take a guess they will bring up LIU-Brooklyn adding women’s hockey and use it to why UND needs to add hockey. 

This is the type of thing that will keep other colleges/university’s from adding women’s hockey, besides the $2 million it’s going to lose.