SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

Frozen4sioux

1 minute ago, brianvf said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capitals-insider/wp/2017/06/28/prospect-shane-gersich-intends-to-stay-at-university-of-north-dakota-for-another-season/?utm_term=.76e2ad31af35

Glowing praise of Gersich from the Caps development camp.
Sounds like they want him in their system sooner rather than later.

He has to sign at the end of the season or he's a free agent.

9 hours ago, brianvf said:

Never. 
According to GPL (where I go for most of my UND-related fact checking), our entire roster is almost always 95% Canadian, and 85% of those are over the age of 26.

So, about the same age as former Gofer goalie, Sieve Debus? (sorry, I meant STeve) :)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

He was in the USHL a year after he was drafted, so he has to sign after his Junior year. 

It's by 8/15, but you're right.  He played juniors the year after he was drafted.  One thing no one realize is that the GM of the Caps is a relative to him....so the only way he doesnt end up there is if both sides mutually agree it would be better for him to go somewhere else.

Ok, so I'm working and today is again slow, so, let's talk breakout seasons.... who has them? Who takes the biggest steps, this season? Do we have a freshman go nutty in his rookie year?

I've got Wolanin and Bowen. Christian showed glimpses all year and was absolutely dominant against BU. I'm looking for 12 goals, 23 assists this year. 

Bowen also grew up a lot down the stretch and scored the GWG against BU.... yes, I said it... 10 points from him last year.... let's go 25 (13 goals, 12 assists) this year.

Lastly.... I've got Chris Wilk..... uhhh, nevermind ;)

• Upvote 1

I'll agree with Wolanin and Bowen.  Bowen has a heck of a motor ... I didn't realize he was that fast!  One additional name for a breakout season in my mind is Cole Smith.  He is strong and will be good on the boards.  I think he'll get a regular shift and could triple his point production. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/28/2017 at 0:39 PM, brianvf said:

Never. 
According to GPL (where I go for most of my UND-related fact checking), our entire roster is almost always 95% goon Canadian, and 85% of those are over the age of 26 and didn't qualify for the U of M.

Fixed your post. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I guess Wolanin is shining at the Sens development camp.  From what I read it sounds as though he'll only be back for one more year.

That will make a lot of those people that jump all over Wolanin happy.  It seems we have had a lot of guys that fans could do without here, but they are good enough for the next level, and that includes a coach as well.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, tnt said:

That will make a lot of those people that jump all over Wolanin happy.  It seems we have had a lot of guys that fans could do without here, but they are good enough for the next level, and that includes a coach as well.

His upside is huge, could be one of the best offensive dmen in the country. That said, there was times he was gripping the stick pretty tightly last year & letting the puck get out of the zone at the point. Starman noticed it too in a series at The Ralph. However his game against BU really showed what he is capable of and it'll be exciting to see the strides he makes this coming year.