SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

He shouldn't be a WR. But he should be split out wide a lot more. Quick WR screen to him with two blockers sounds nice. There are so many ways to get him out in space to use his moves and speed that we haven't done yet. Want to see him in the NFL? He needs to be a swiss army knife.

Bubble & tunnel screens with Stanley & Toivonen out in front of him. Wow. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, nodakhoops said:

No way. RB is the best way to get Jon touches. We need to get him as many as possible. He is a RB and now that we have 4 really good ones We should be able to let Jon do both kick and punt returns and also use him for jet sweep. Everyone can drop the Santiago to WR talk. It makes zero sense. We now have 4 really talented RBs. Let's figure out how to get them touches. Great problem to have.

I disagree. Santiago can still be listed at "RB" but it's all about the X's and O's. I think Santiago should be on the field at the same time as Oliveira (or now Johannesson) a lot more. It's tough on the defense and, in my opinion, UNDs offense looked better in 2016 with Oliveira in the backfield (he also had nearly better numbers). 

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

He shouldn't be a WR. But he should be split out wide a lot more. Quick WR screen to him with two blockers sounds nice. There are so many ways to get him out in space to use his moves and speed that we haven't done yet. Want to see him in the NFL? He needs to be a swiss army knife.

I agree with this. Need to get him touches but he is a RB. Percy Hardin role is a good example. Whether it's kick punt jet sweep bubble screen hand off or 9 route Jon needs 20-30 touches a game.

3 minutes ago, nodakhoops said:

I agree with this. Need to get him touches but he is a RB. Percy Hardin role is a good example. Whether it's kick punt jet sweep bubble screen hand off or 9 route Jon needs 20-30 touches a game.

True, but if it's all from the backfield it hurts the team. It exposes Santiago to injury as he's a smaller guy and takes touches away from a very good player in Oliveira. 

I just want to see UND utilize their weapons with creativity by getting them all on the field at once.

Great news. I trust the coaches will figure out who plays where. I doubt that JJ had an ultimatum on where he would play. I would think there was a pretty clear understanding that JJ would play where the coaches thought he could help out the most.  Find myself looking forward and enjoying UND football again after years of not caring much. Fun - frustrating at times- but fun!

5 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Definitely a player to be excited about, but as with all recruiting, only time will tell if he'll be an impact player for UND. And yes I'd say the same thing if he transferred to NDSU. Good pick up for you guys.

Very true. In this case I will error on being pumped up. We have a pretty good idea that JJ has talent and will help. Talent level and depth is going up every year.

Bison06 - eleven hundred posts - pretty impressive. You might be as old as some of us?

1 hour ago, homer said:

There was at least 10 plays that contributed to costing us that game.  It gets tiring.  

Thank you. He just can't get over a bad reverse call, but we didn't sustain any drives after because of dropped passes or QB missing open guys. Geez, get over it.

Originally his final choices were supposed to be NDSU or the Gophers.   So why would he now choose UND?    It could be the position he is going to play here.    Maybe originally he had some ties to UND but our program wasn't very good at that time and he  eliminated us from  consideration.     The fact that we have a good program now probably helped a lot.  For whatever reason it is exciting to have him join our program.    Next year should be a really fun year for UND football.   

47 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

JJ could start game 1 next fall at UND....and would be an upgrade. He's the real deal.  He is Santiago and Brady in a single package.

........and NDSU thought they got a good pick up with King Frasier a couple years back.

Frazier isn't bad and JJ may be better, but on a list of upgrades needed for UND FB, tailback is probably last on the list. 

31 minutes ago, shep said:

Thank you. He just can't get over a bad reverse call, but we didn't sustain any drives after because of dropped passes or QB missing open guys. Geez, get over it.

but that was the first of the ten plays that resulted in the other nine occurring...

31 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Frazier isn't bad and JJ may be better, but on a list of upgrades needed for UND FB, tailback is probably last on the list. 

WR is though and a shift to WR for Santiago upgrades both those skilled positions in a big way. 

• Upvote 3

Obviously he could have had his choice of where to transfer to so i think we can assume that the conversations between him and our coaching staff went pretty well and both sides are comfortable with what his role could be. Perhaps there were other issues that also came into play - course of study, a little closer to home, the ability to focus on more than just football.