SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

7 minutes ago, Hawks_Win_Again said:

Not questioning that Johansson is a good player and glad he chose us, but ......was he fighting injuries or something ?  I found it odd that he was not listed anywhere on the Gopher depth chart that went all the way to  3 deep.

Brooks and Smith are very good backs and are sophs, they were also high on their Juco transfer McCrary, who is a Junior.  Would have been tough to crack that rotation.

25 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Brooks and Smith are very good backs and are sophs, they were also high on their Juco transfer McCrary, who is a Junior.  Would have been tough to crack that rotation.

There are not many northern plains Scandinavian tailbacks playing in the Big Ten. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, ND1 said:

Another running back...

No, he's a tremendous athlete that could play multiple spots. The more student-athletes with talent like this, the better. Excellent work Bubba and staff; keep on improving the depth! Don't worry; the QB, OL, and DB spots will be addressed this recruiting season as well. 

The future is bright! 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

And now Ty Brooks is a potential NFL pick, too?  Jesus, no limit to the talent at SU I guess.

2 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

And now Ty Brooks is a potential NFL pick, too?  Jesus, no limit to the talent at SU I guess.

From watching some of Fargo South's games a few years back, there was no doubt which kid on that team was the superior talent (hint: he went to a Big Ten school) That said, both are good players and UND offered Brooks out of high school along with Johannesson.  

48 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Brooks and Smith are good backs and are sophs, they were also high on their Juco transfer McCrary, who is a Junior.  Would have been tough to crack that rotation.

A Juco - guess that "we want them 4 years" policy is only applied when they don't get them. 

23 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

2 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

A Juco - guess that "we want them 4 years" policy is only applied when they don't get them. 

You all realize the OP was talking about the U of M depth chart not the NDSU depth chart at RB, right?

• Upvote 3

This conversation comes up nearly every time two teams go head to head on recruits. Why did they choose to play at one school vs the other. The team that "wins" a recruit puffs up their chest for a while, while the team that "loses" acts like what they have is better and is incredulous as to why a kid would ever choose another school over theirs. The truth is, these kids are making life decisions, not just football decisions. Especially at this level of football. Maybe UND has the program he plans to enter academically, maybe he liked the idea of building a program at UND vs sustaining a program at NDSU, maybe on his recruiting visit he met a cute co-ed and wants to see it through(these are 18-21 year old men after all). Point is, only JJ can say why he is at UND now and he doesn't have to justify it to anyone except himself. It's his life and he's a North Dakota kid, best of luck to him in his life, of which football may only be involved for another couple years.

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

This conversation comes up nearly every time two teams go head to head on recruits. Why did they choose to play at one school vs the other. The team that "wins" a recruit puffs up their chest for a while, while the team that "loses" acts like what they have is better and is incredulous as to why a kid would ever choose another school over theirs. The truth is, these kids are making life decisions, not just football decisions. Especially at this level of football. Maybe UND has the program he plans to enter academically, maybe he liked the idea of building a program at UND vs sustaining a program at NDSU, maybe on his recruiting visit he met a cute co-ed and wants to see it through(these are 18-21 year old men after all). Point is, only JJ can say why he is at UND now and he doesn't have to justify it to anyone except himself. It's his life and he's a North Dakota kid, best of luck to him in his life, of which football may only be involved for another couple years.

Solid post. Makes sense to me. Kids choose different schools for different reasons all the time. Not just athletes either. When I visited UND in high school, it just clicked that was where I wanted to go. I'm sure some athletes just step onto a campus and get that same feeling. Hopefully the decision works out for him.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Dagger said:

JJ said in an interview he considered both NDSU and UND and he decided UND was the best fit.  I don't know what NDSU offered but apparently the door was open to go to NDSU too. (unless JJ is lying).   So apparently  NDSU wanted him too. 

Pathetic Quote.

• Downvote 1

I was speaking with someone this morning who knew him from South and I guess back in the first go around, Carlson School of Business was a goal, and UM made that a very possible path. 

Perhaps it is still a business decision.  A combination of scholarship $$ available now and a program that is a strength at UND. 

Whatever it is, glad to have a great kid with a load of talent.  The coaches will figure out where he fits. Welcome JJ!!

• Upvote 1